Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by airplanegod
"Overhead bin friendly"
overhead bin entitled! and I am proud of it
Old May 12, 2014, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
Space for carry on is marketed as a BF benefit!

I do not care where they put their things - as long as it is not in the space that I or other passengers paid for!
They usually take everything they own plus the kitchen sink with em'!
Old May 12, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Yes having this happen is certainly an annoyance - and I avoid row 1 in any RJ for this exact reason (along with the oxygen). Never had the issue though that I couldn't find overhead space after finding mine full - but I usually check my bag due to longer trip durations so don't use much space to begin with...
Old May 12, 2014, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
Well the 777 BF overhead space is so small anyway!

So what's the deal on a 777?
On my last 772 flight with 39/40 seats full the closet (for F) in front of 6AB appeared to be for the exclusive use of crew and the overhead space about 6AB CDGH JK was loaded with crew bags. So, yes, space was tight. The constant accessing and slamming of the doors was more annoying than the crew use of the space. It is amazing that the crew didn't know it is possible shut the bins without slamming.
Old May 12, 2014, 4:30 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Still would be interesting to get an official answer from UA on that!
Old May 12, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by warreng24
It's unfortunate, but where do you expect the cabin crew to store their things?
To the back of the plane. Definitely not at F of BF and definitely not on bins marked "economy plus only". If they need to access something during the flight they can store it in a small bag in a closet.
Old May 12, 2014, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Aspen
The constant accessing and slamming of the doors was more annoying than the crew use of the space. It is amazing that the crew didn't know it is possible shut the bins without slamming.
The pre-departure yelling every 3 to 4 mins at passengers that are boarding to "Please find your seat and step out of the aisle" gives me a pre-departure headache. Seriously, a softer, gentler, request would probably sound a little more professional.
Old May 12, 2014, 6:38 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
To the back of the plane. Definitely not at F of BF and definitely not on bins marked "economy plus only". If they need to access something during the flight they can store it in a small bag in a closet.
Ouch, so when the last people to board walk all the way to the back of the plane, thru people standing in the aisle to stow their gear, they then have to fight upstream to take it to the jetway to check and then walk back again?

Remember, that there are fewer people per bin in the front of the plane in addition to larger underseat storage (on some aircraft) and most of them get to check their bags for free. So your solution is to add addl bags to the area that is already the most dense in terms of bin space/passenger, with smaller underseat storage and a long walk both ways, in addition to being the last to board, so little time to find other space or gate check prior to door closure?

In any aircraft with 2 aisles (widebody,) I challenge you to find bin space overfilling in the premium cabins if people either a) carrying on more than they are allowed, or b) not utilizing the underseat storage for items, but instead hogging bin space. I grant you on an airbus, between the way the underseat storage area is lacking, the bulkhead person needing full bin space and the lack of many rows to offset the bulkhead double usage it can happen, but on other aircraft, it is simply people not stowing correctly and putting everything up top.

Last edited by fastair; May 12, 2014 at 6:43 pm
Old May 12, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Since UA is "so reliable" with their baggage service, why can't crew do gate check and pick up on the jetway at the end of the flight?
Old May 12, 2014, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
Since UA is "so reliable" with their baggage service, why can't crew do gate check and pick up on the jetway at the end of the flight?
Because we have required stuff in our luggage that needs to be with us onboard the aircraft at all times.
Old May 12, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by fastair
In any aircraft with 2 aisles (widebody,) I challenge you to find bin space overfilling in the premium cabins if people either a) carrying on more than they are allowed, or b) not utilizing the underseat storage for items, but instead hogging bin space. I grant you on an airbus, between the way the underseat storage area is lacking, the bulkhead person needing full bin space and the lack of many rows to offset the bulkhead double usage it can happen, but on other aircraft, it is simply people not stowing correctly and putting everything up top.
In BF on an international B777, there is no underseat storage that I am aware of. Everything has to go in the overhead bins.
Old May 12, 2014, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Because we have required stuff in our luggage that needs to be with us onboard the aircraft at all times.
And that you should and could keep in a smaller bag in the cabin, understandable. But when FA's bring on several full size bags with their clothing, etc., that is not something required to have with you in the aircraft. Take what you need in a smaller bag and take up less space from the paying customer. Come on, you know the majority of your roller bag is not required in the cabin.
Old May 12, 2014, 7:56 pm

And that you should and could keep in a smaller bag in the cabin, understandable. But when FA's bring on several full size bags with their clothing, etc., that is not something required to have with you in the aircraft. Take what you need in a smaller bag and take up less space from the paying customer. Come on, you know the majority of your roller bag is not required in the cabin.
Except that not all F/As carry a smaller bag sometimes they just carry their larger rollerboard which not only has changes of clothes, toiletries etc, but also has our manuals and other things we need onboard with us. And F/As for the most part keep their oversized manuals along with other paperwork in the larger of the luggage. And unless we are required to our luggage isn't getting gate checked.
Old May 12, 2014, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Except that not all F/As carry a smaller bag sometimes they just carry their larger rollerboard which not only has changes of clothes, toiletries etc, but also has our manuals and other things we need onboard with us. And F/As for the most part keep their oversized manuals along with other paperwork in the larger of the luggage. And unless we are required to our luggage isn't getting gate checked.
They can carry their required manuals, etc is a smaller bag, just as I have to carry things in a brief case. They take advantage of the overhead bins because they can do it. The paying customer should come first. The FA's can reduce their baggage footprint, they just don't want to. Like for us, it is more convenient to do it that way, not a requirement.
Old May 12, 2014, 8:04 pm

They can carry their required manuals, etc is a smaller bag, just as I have to carry things in a brief case. They take advantage of the overhead bins because they can do it. The paying customer should come first. The FA's can reduce their baggage footprint, they just don't want to. Like for us, it is more convenient to do it that way, not a requirement.
As I said before unless we are required to our luggage isn't getting gate checked and the size of those manuals FAs don't really care to put them in the smaller of the luggage. So take it for what's it worth. As for where we put our luggage onboard the aircraft coincides with what section of the aircraft we are working. This could be overhead bins or closets.

Last edited by JOSECONLSCREW28; May 12, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.