LAX lounge access denied

Old May 9, 2014, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
LAX lounge access denied

I have a question:
Passengers are travelling overseas in business class from LAX via ORD.
Agent stated that access would be granted only at ORD, but not the domestic portion.
Is that right? I have always known that passenger flying in business class has access to the lounge.
Old May 9, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Yes, that's the rule. Sometimes they'll let you in, but don't count on it.
Old May 9, 2014, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ellylex
I have a question:
Passengers are travelling overseas in business class from LAX via ORD.
Agent stated that access would be granted only at ORD, but not the domestic portion.
Is that right? I have always known that passenger flying in business class has access to the lounge.
Need more details.

If it is LAX-ORD followed by ORD-INT'L UA J, then there is access at LAX.

If it is LAX-ORD followed by ORD-INT'L Other Airline J then there is no access at LAX.
Old May 9, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Need more details.

If it is LAX-ORD followed by ORD-INT'L Other Airline J then there is no access at LAX.
No, but that's only if you have status.
Old May 9, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1353513636
100% incorrect.
Old May 9, 2014, 1:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Originally Posted by Kacee
Need more details.

No, Kacee is completely correct.

If you have *G status, you would have it in either case. (UA and *A rules)
But UA operated international premium cabin flyers do also get UC access in transit. (UA rule, not *A rule)
Old May 9, 2014, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

They have no status, otherwise I would have mentioned it. My question was about getting access to the lounge when flying business class on the first segment LAX-ORD, continuing to overseas...
I just called United Club and they confirmed that apparently rules were changes few years ago and that lounge access is only for international segment.
Very strange rule, in my opinion. And the irony is that I have lounge passes at home, which I didn't have with me at the airport.
Thank You all for explaination and confirmation of "strange" rules.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ge/access.aspx
Old May 9, 2014, 1:56 pm

They have no status, otherwise I would have mentioned it. My question was about getting access to the lounge when flying business class on the first segment LAX-ORD, continuing to overseas...
I just called United Club and they confirmed that apparently rules were changes few years ago and that lounge access is only for international segment.
Very strange rule, in my opinion. And the irony is that I have lounge passes at home, which I didn't have with me at the airport.
Just to be clear, even without any status, if your friends are flying on UA in business from ORD to an international destination, they have access to the United Club at LAX. It is only if they are flying another airline ex-ORD that there is no access at LAX.

I presume for your last post they are flying another airline, not UA, ex-ORD.
Old May 9, 2014, 2:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I just called United Club and they confirmed that apparently rules were changes few years ago and that lounge access is only for international segment. ....
These are the *A rules and they have been in place for a very long time.

*A rules state you have lounge access when departing that airport on an international business class flight. But not when departing on connecting non-international or non-premium cabin flights.

Many *A carriers have an exception if the international premium cabin is operated by them, then you have access to their lounges systemwide (but not other *A lounges).

I am not familiar with other alliances rules on this case.
Old May 9, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ge/access.aspx
Never call and ask. Ever. We know more than the phone agents. Seriously.

Was the long-haul leg on UA or not?
Old May 9, 2014, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Was the long-haul leg on UA or not?
Long haul is with LOT. But it has no bearing on the answer from United Club. They claim that even though LAX-ORD segment is in business - it is a domestic portion and there is no lounge access according to their rules.

Also, the agent at United Club agent was "very bright" making a statement that second segment is on Aeroflot?! which is not even in their alliance.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
*A rules state you have lounge access when departing that airport on an international business class flight. But not when departing on connecting non-international or non-premium cabin flights.
Yes, the first sentence was the reason used to decline access. But second sentence does not apply - since the flight is connecting same day to international destination also in business class.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 9, 2014 at 6:12 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old May 9, 2014, 2:25 pm

Long haul is with LOT. But it has no bearing on the answer from United Club. They claim that even though LAX-ORD segment is in business - it is a domestic portion and there is no lounge access according to their rules.

Also, the agent at United Club agent was "very bright" making a statement that second segment is on Aeroflot?! which is not even in their alliance.
Maybe the agent wasn't clear, but the Aeroflot long haul is the reason why access was denied at LAX. You may have thought it was a snarky comment but if the international portion of the trip was on a non-Star Alliance flight (SkyTeam) then you don't have an international business class ticket related in any way to UA. [at least that's my take]
Old May 9, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA GS/1MM, Ritz Carlton Plat
They did you a favor. The UC at LAX is overcrowded and unpleasant. Way too many people. I avoid it unless I need to charge my electronics. You are much better off going to the Steakhouse or the WP Express in Terminal 7.

And I agree with the other posters that it is your long haul being on non-UA that kept you out.
Old May 9, 2014, 2:27 pm

Long haul is with LOT. But it has no bearing on the answer from United Club.
To the contrary, this was THE determining factor. I can't explain any more clearly than its already been explained.
Old May 9, 2014, 2:27 pm

Long haul is with LOT. But it has no bearing on the answer from United Club.
The people you talked to were wrong. Again, just ignore everything that agents say about policy and you'll be happier.

The fact that the longhaul was not on UA is the reason that access was denied.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.