UA DC-10 Seen In The Wild

Old May 9, 2014, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
UA had a bunch of DC10's to BDL. While most flew to ORD, one went to BOS then to SFO.
Old May 9, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
Originally Posted by Kurt
I loved the DC-10. Flew them everywhere; DEN-ORD/IAD/LAX/SFO/SEA/LAS/PHX/COS, LAX-HNL. I live in NW Denver (Highlands), which is pretty much directly west of where Stapleton was, and back in the day when aircraft were departing to the west you could always identify the DC-10s with their distinctive engine note.
http://youtu.be/JlzbHQiFOag love that sound.
Old May 9, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
My last UA DC10 flight was a BWI-ORD flight in 1998. Can you imagine an airline flying regular widebody service on that route now?

Related, my last DC10 flight overall was a NW DC10 MSP-BOS in 2001.
Old May 9, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Not UA, but the last pax DC-10 was just retired from Bangladesh Biman.

I was on the last pax flight on Feb 24.
Old May 9, 2014, 6:18 pm

My first flight on a DC-10 was CO IAH-LAX. The a/c had a pub and we got plastered. Also flew EWR-FRA on my first overseas flight on a DC-10. Flew to HNL on CO DC-10 as well, but flew back into LA on a PeopleCompressed 747. Sat in the middle of the back row between two smokers. Seat didn't recline. Audio didn't work. Steve Martin in Roxanne was the movie. Everyone laughed except me - I couldn't hear a thing - but I did get to enjoy the chain-smoking neighbor's second-hand smoke. It was horrible.
Old May 9, 2014, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NoShoesNation
My first flight on a DC-10 was CO IAH-LAX. The a/c had a pub and we got plastered. Also flew EWR-FRA on my first overseas flight on a DC-10. Flew to HNL on CO DC-10 as well, but flew back into LA on a PeopleCompressed 747. Sat in the middle of the back row between two smokers. Seat didn't recline. Audio didn't work. Steve Martin in Roxanne was the movie. Everyone laughed except me - I couldn't hear a thing - but I did get to enjoy the chain-smoking neighbor's second-hand smoke. It was horrible.
I really wish I could have experienced this era of flying (and remembered it).
Old May 9, 2014, 6:32 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ajGoes
In 1974-75, I used to fly between LAX and SFO on the old PSA for $10. That was a heck of a deal.
$8 in 1973.
Old May 9, 2014, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I really wish I could have experienced this era of flying (and remembered it).
I remember very little. Went with two buddies to LA and we stayed at the Beverly Hills Hotel. We started drinking the second our butts hit the seats. I have no memory whatsoever of landing at LAX and riding to the hotel. It was early 80's and we did everything to excess. What I remember was very fun.
Old May 9, 2014, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by jclarke
mmm... whole cashews.........
mmm.... free drinks......
Old May 9, 2014, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
I thought some here might still appreciate that these are still standing (taken 5/8):

Let the memories begin.
I thought you meant a real one from your thread title, not a model of one.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 10, 2014 at 5:14 am Reason: Image removal
Old May 9, 2014, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NoShoesNation
My first flight on a DC-10 was CO IAH-LAX. The a/c had a pub and we got plastered.
CO1 was also my first DC10 experience. I was around 10 at the time, and my mom decided to surprise me and bring me to California to visit some relatives. Because our flight from Boston to Houston was delayed pretty seriously, CO decided to put us in F (3 cabin) on IAH-LAX, and we were both extremely impressed.
Old May 9, 2014, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
I thought you meant a real one from your thread title, not a model of one.
Well yes, I think that was the idea.
Old May 9, 2014, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Well yes, I think that was the idea.
It wouldn't surprise me if there was one in the desert that got contracted to do a movie or something like that. So seeing a real one is not out of the realm of possibilities.
Old May 9, 2014, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
It wouldn't surprise me if there was one in the desert that got contracted to do a movie or something like that. So seeing a real one is not out of the realm of possibilities.
T'would be cool.
Old May 9, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
Originally Posted by Kurt
It's my understanding that the DC-10 and L-1011 were designed specifically with LGA in mind - UA and AA specified that these aircraft would be able to operate there when Douglas/Lockheed had them on their drawing boards.
I've heard that AA/UA required that the aircraft be LGA capable, so the manufacturers paid to extend the main runway at LGA. This tidbit was brought up when some airports were tripping over themselves to become ready for A380 operations, since some thought that Airbus should chip in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.