What's the Point of Wifi without Power?

Old May 8, 2014, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
What's the Point of Wifi without Power?

After flying EWR-SFO (6.5 hrs) on an A320 (new one), I really wonder what was going through the heads of United when they designed that plane. What is the point of installing Wi-Fi if I can only use it for about 2-3 hours until I run out of battery because there is no power at any seat? I ended up just doing a bit of planning on united.com and then reading, because they were charging a price appropriate only for all 6.5 hours although one could effectively only get 2-3 from paying the cost.
Old May 8, 2014, 3:21 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
When you say a "new" 320, does that mean it was recently updated? IIRC UA hasn't bought any 320's in a dozen years.

As to a device lasting only 2-3 hours on battery power, I'm not understanding why that should be much concern to the airline. Many people have mobile devices that can last a full flight, whether an iPad or a laptop (my Lenovo can go about 8 hours if I'm careful).

In fact why would the airline want every Wi-Fi user to be hooked up for a full 6 hour flight? There is only so many concurrent sessions that can exist. If people were connected non-stop take-off to landing I would think it would minimize revenue potential.
Old May 8, 2014, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636
After flying EWR-SFO (6.5 hrs) on an A320 (new one), I really wonder what was going through the heads of United when they designed that plane. What is the point of installing Wi-Fi if I can only use it for about 2-3 hours until I run out of battery because there is no power at any seat? I ended up just doing a bit of planning on united.com and then reading, because they were charging a price appropriate only for all 6.5 hours although one could effectively only get 2-3 from paying the cost.
Use an external battery. Just Google external laptop battery. I used to have one of those modular Dell laptops where you could pull out the optical drive and replace it with a second battery.
Old May 8, 2014, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by Craig6z
Many people have mobile devices that can last a full flight, whether an iPad or a laptop (my Lenovo can go about 8 hours if I'm careful).

In fact why would the airline want every Wi-Fi user to be hooked up for a full 6 hour flight?
While that's one point, you could easily point out that UA installed power on their 737 fleet, most of which do not have WiFi (yet).

The reality is UA has opted not to put power on their Airbus fleet, when they had a perfect opportunity during the seat retrofits, because they're cheap.
Old May 8, 2014, 3:27 pm

I've wondered the exact same thing. Why wouldn't they attempt to make it the most easy to use for the customer which would include power at the seat. I've found the United wifi completely useless while the gogo internet on other airlines great. I actually subscribe to their monthly plans even though I only fly them monthly.
Old May 8, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA GS/1MM, Ritz Carlton Plat
Originally Posted by Craig6z
When you say a "new" 320, does that mean it was recently updated? IIRC UA hasn't bought any 320's in a dozen years.
I think the OP's point is if they are taking the plane out of service to update it anyway, why in world wouldn't they put in power, even if only in F. I agree. I wonder about that every time I am in one of the renovated ones.
Old May 8, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by 1353513636
I would suggest that many, perhaps most are using notebooks of various sorts or iPads and that the power limitation isn't quite as bad as you make it out to be. It's bad for you, and it's bad for me if I'm using my "normal" laptop... but not everybody needs (or is using) a battery-eating Ferrari. There area a lot of very nice, not-too-expensive laptops and notebooks with 6 hour+ battery life these days. And they weigh a lot less than my fire-eating dragon too.

Also, keep in mind there are few domestic flights longer than EWR-SFO, and that 6.5 hour time probably represents about 5.5 hours, if that, of "quality time with your laptop".

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by mikelcf
I think the OP's point is if they are taking the plane out of service to update it anyway, why in world wouldn't they put in power, even if only in F. I agree. I wonder about that every time I am in one of the renovated ones.
It's especially puzzling given that most planes had power in F via the old EmPower style plugs back in the freaking 90s. Many UA F seats even still have the old jack, but they've plugged it up, presumably to avoid paying a licensing fee after their deal with EmPower ended. Amazing.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Pretty much every Apple device has sufficient battery to surf the internet for a full transcon. The new ones can probably run movies the whole time.

Originally Posted by Jflynn64
I've wondered the exact same thing. Why wouldn't they attempt to make it the most easy to use for the customer which would include power at the seat.
This is UA we're talking about.
Old May 8, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
The question "Why does UA have WiFi but no power on 6 hour flights when my battery only lasts 3" assumes that everyone else is in the same situation as you. They aren't; many people use devices that last longer than 3 hours, or carry enough power to last them their whole flight. Further, many people value 3 hours of WiFi connectivity over 6 hours of power.
Old May 8, 2014, 3:39 pm

Let's bring this to another level. Flying in Y, ORD-HKG. No power and the internet on a 14+ hour flight is $17.00. My charged apple mini ran put of power after 9 hours. Sorry apologists, this is undefendable.
Old May 8, 2014, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
many people use devices that last longer than 3 hours, or carry enough power to last them their whole flight. Further, many people value 3 hours of WiFi connectivity over 6 hours of power.
All of my devices (laptop, 2 iPhones, and an iPad) hold more than 6 hours of battery life.

The only time I step on a plane with all of those devices fully charged is a 6am flight.

I don't see wifi and in-seat power as a binary equation. Yes, I care more about working wifi (something that's elusive to United) than in-seat power, but if you're going to gut a plane and install new seats and fit the plane for wifi the reason you're not providing power at the seats is C H E A P.

The real question is does not having in-seat power influence purchase behavior? For me, no. Lack of wifi, if all else is close to equal, yes. But it doesn't matter because I value on-time performance far greater than anything else and UA doesn't win that metric.
Old May 8, 2014, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Brattflyer
Let's bring this to another level. Flying in Y, ORD-HKG. No power and the internet on a 14+ hour flight is $17.00. My charged apple mini ran put of power after 9 hours. Sorry apologists, this is undefendable.
Honestly, that's a relative bargain. I just paid $12.99 for IAD-SMF.

But agree - no power for 14+ hours is awful if one doesn't sleep. I can't defend UA here, but personally, I'd have slept for a lot of that flight.
Old May 8, 2014, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sorry apologists, this is undefendable.
Are we reading the same thread? Cause I'm not seeing any apologists here . . . .

ps. It's "indefensible."
Old May 8, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
That's not the OP's situation. You likely consider me an apologist in this thread, but I'd agree with you that power should be available on a TPAC or TATL. I just don't see it as the end of the world on a TCON.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.