Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 14, 19, 2:09 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Eligibility for Seat assignments are based on booking class and route length. In general, if you book a Y B M U H X Q V fare (or business or first class), you can get a free seat assignment on any ticket stock. If you book lower economy fares, you have to pay for seat assignment. In either case, you need to pay for a seat with extra leg room. See Lufthansa Seat reservations for Economy Class travelers for more specific conditions.

LH can't process payments if your ticket is not booked with LH stock, so if your seat assignment would require a payment, you simply can not get an advance seat assignment if you book through United (or any airline other than LH). Tickets booked on 016 stock appear to be able to get a seat assignment with payment, if the flight is booked on the LH flight number (but not if booked as a UA codeshare), but it may require calling to get this.

Even when eligible, seat assignments are not usually available on the LH website due to perpetual "technical difficulties" however they can be reserved by calling LH at either 800-645-3880 or 866-846-4283.

There have been reports that any change in the ticket may cause the seat assignment to be cleared. Therefore, it is recommended to check seat assignments if something is done to the reservation.

In LH forum -- Seat Reservations on LH flights when booked through UA [merged]
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 8, 19, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990 View Post

Also, when does LH open OLCI? And when can I select the seats for free, if I really have to pay to do it in advance? 24 hours? 48 hours?

Thank you!
LH officially opens check-in at T-23 (as findark noted), but in practice it is often much earlier. My personal theory is that they open check in when the first connecting passenger checks in (at t-23 for their first flight). Whatever the reason, I always start trying to check in about 36 hours before flight time. For DEN-FRA, it has been pretty consistent around T-28 IME.

For some reason, I have a recent reservation that is 016 plated with LH flight number and metal (heavily discounted L fare) that is allowing me to reserve a seat for free. The 'standard' seats show as no charge and the 'preferred' section and 'more legroom' seats show at their normal pricing ($60/$115).

The pricing for LH ASR can be found here.
Old Aug 9, 19, 1:56 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by findark View Post
The first segment is a little strange.. did you really mean "long-haul"? It looks like a segment on an aircraft with no Premium Economy, which would be a narrowbody. Other than that, yes, LH charges for seat selection (ASR) on all restricted tickets in Economy, even delegated segments of restricted premium fares that are otherwise in "full Y". Only exceptions are for M&M SEN and HON. For what it's worth they do still treat *G fairly well, and as a *G on a Y fare you'd be near the top of the op-up list (I've been op-upped a few times within Europe).

LH opens check in at T-23h to departure, according to their website. You will receive an automatic assignment at check-in, and also be able to change it using LH online checkin.
Yes, the first segment is indeed a long-haul, operated by a Boeing 747-400, with C, N, and Y classes and it is > 8+ hours. Thank you so much for the information. I am a little surprised that even full 'Y' fares are being charged a seat-selection fee.

P.S. I am still contemplating spending around $570 to upgrade the other 3 long-haul legs to premium economy. I guess it'll cause it to re-write the ticket in one of the following classes: G, E, or N.

Originally Posted by tods27 View Post
LH officially opens check-in at T-23 (as findark noted), but in practice it is often much earlier. My personal theory is that they open check in when the first connecting passenger checks in (at t-23 for their first flight). Whatever the reason, I always start trying to check in about 36 hours before flight time. For DEN-FRA, it has been pretty consistent around T-28 IME.

For some reason, I have a recent reservation that is 016 plated with LH flight number and metal (heavily discounted L fare) that is allowing me to reserve a seat for free. The 'standard' seats show as no charge and the 'preferred' section and 'more legroom' seats show at their normal pricing ($60/$115).

The pricing for LH ASR can be found here.
This is wonderful information. Thank you!

Since this ticket was booked through a corp TA, my name on the ticket appears in the following way: Lastname / Firstnamemr. I hope it won't cause any problems in getting the XX*G designation on the BP, or the other *G services, such as lounge, priority bags & boarding, being high on the UG list, etc.?
Old Aug 9, 19, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, the first segment is indeed a long-haul, operated by a Boeing 747-400, with C, N, and Y classes and it is > 8+ hours. Thank you so much for the information. I am a little surprised that even full 'Y' fares are being charged a seat-selection fee.
Are you connecting? If you are actually booked in full Y, then the ASR should be free, but usually when I see a PE code along with Y it's because the PE fare delegated and in that case it's not "really" full Y.

Since this ticket was booked through a corp TA, my name on the ticket appears in the following way: Lastname / Firstnamemr. I hope it won't cause any problems in getting the XX*G designation on the BP, or the other *G services, such as lounge, priority bags & boarding, being high on the UG list, etc.?
Should be fine.
Old Aug 9, 19, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium

P.S. I am still contemplating spending around $570 to upgrade the other 3 long-haul legs to premium economy. I guess it'll cause it to re-write the ticket in one of the following classes: G, E, or N.

This is wonderful information. Thank you!

The name should not matter as this is commonly what my name looks like on tickets from my corporate TA and I have not had any problems on LH. There are some UA flyers that have isses with LH recognizing their status, but that is not the norm.
Old Aug 12, 19, 12:04 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Are you connecting? If you are actually booked in full Y, then the ASR should be free, but usually when I see a PE code along with Y it's because the PE fare delegated and in that case it's not "really" full Y.

Should be fine.
Great info. Thank you: Maybe it's showing 'Y' since it's ticketed on '016-' ticket with UA code-share; Maybe it maps onto something else on LH (just like Premium Eco 'A' maps into 'N' in LH)?

Originally Posted by tods27 View Post
The name should not matter as this is commonly what my name looks like on tickets from my corporate TA and I have not had any problems on LH. There are some UA flyers that have isses with LH recognizing their status, but that is not the norm.
Perfect! Thanks for the data-point, @tods27 !

Search this Thread
Search Engine: