Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Eligibility for Seat assignments are based on booking class and route length. In general, if you book a Y B M U H X Q V fare (or business or first class), you can get a free seat assignment on any ticket stock. If you book lower economy fares, you have to pay for seat assignment. In either case, you need to pay for a seat with extra leg room. See Lufthansa Seat reservations for Economy Class travelers for more specific conditions.

LH can't process payments if your ticket is not booked with LH stock, so if your seat assignment would require a payment, you simply can not get an advance seat assignment if you book through United (or any airline other than LH). Tickets booked on 016 stock appear to be able to get a seat assignment with payment, if the flight is booked on the LH flight number (but not if booked as a UA codeshare), but it may require calling to get this.

Even when eligible, seat assignments are not usually available on the LH website due to perpetual "technical difficulties" however they can be reserved by calling LH at either 800-645-3880 or 866-846-4283.

There have been reports that any change in the ticket may cause the seat assignment to be cleared. Therefore, it is recommended to check seat assignments if something is done to the reservation.

In LH forum -- Seat Reservations on LH flights when booked through UA [merged]
Print Wikipost

No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:12 pm

I just called LH to get an update on this and try to understand it better.

What a pleasure. I was on hold for < 30 seconds and the phone was answered by a friendly and knowledgeable agent who spoke perfect english and had a clear phone connection. Wow.

She told me that award saver Y tickets can have seat selection with no problem because X class allows for seat assignment free of charge.

She also told me that paid classes *other than* Y,B,M,U,H,X,Q,V (these are all free assignment classes) can have seat assignment, for a fee, but only if booked into an LH flight. If booked as a UA codeshare, then, it's not possible to charge the fee, and therefore not possible to execute a seat assignment.

The way she described this to me, if it's a UA codeshare, then getting seat assignment is impossible for the fare classes that require a fee, but if it's an LH flight number, it's no problem.

She didn't mention anything about 016 stock, so I could conclude from that conversation that if a ticket is booked on LH (not code share) on 016 stock, then, seat assignment, even for a fee, should be possible.

I have no idea how much of above is true/false, but the agent seemed to be very knowledgeable.

I'm probably going to book an X ticket soon and can report back on results.

UPDATE

Booked X inventory on 016 stock. Got LH PNR. Went to LH site. Changed seats online. Saved. No fees, no problems. Don't know if it'll stick or not, but so far so good.

Last edited by FlyWorld; Dec 7, 2015 at 8:42 pm
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Hi all, flying KWI-FRA next week in economy (-CA gov't fare on 016 ticket stock, booked into S). I've run into the same issues as everyone else here booking seats on the LH website. I called the US LH help desk and got a very friendly agent who basically said the same thing FlyWorld was told - my particular fare class requires a fee for seat reservations, but I cannot pay the fee because that would require re-ticketing my reservation on LH ticket stock (which for me is prohibited under the Fly America Act). Quite the catch-22

So my question is - is there a way to request an upgrade to Premium Economy? Can I do so online ahead of time via the MyOffer page, or will the -016 ticket stock cause issues? If not, will I be able to do so at T-24 during online check-in? I will likely have more UA/LH codeshares like this coming up in the near future so I'm trying to figure out the best strategy for handling this.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by chleonard
Hi all, flying KWI-FRA next week in economy (-CA gov't fare on 016 ticket stock, booked into S). I've run into the same issues as everyone else here booking seats on the LH website. I called the US LH help desk and got a very friendly agent who basically said the same thing FlyWorld was told - my particular fare class requires a fee for seat reservations, but I cannot pay the fee because that would require re-ticketing my reservation on LH ticket stock (which for me is prohibited under the Fly America Act). Quite the catch-22

So my question is - is there a way to request an upgrade to Premium Economy? Can I do so online ahead of time via the MyOffer page, or will the -016 ticket stock cause issues? If not, will I be able to do so at T-24 during online check-in? I will likely have more UA/LH codeshares like this coming up in the near future so I'm trying to figure out the best strategy for handling this.
In November I flew SFO-MUC which was operated by LH but with UA flight number 8882 on 016 ticket (S class). I was able to do on-line check-in and seat assignment like 32 hours before departure. In theory it should be 23 hours but LH had a potential strike during that week. Perhaps that was the reason they lifted the restrictions sooner. MyOffer did not work for me. I think the problem is the UA flight number, not the 016 ticket.

As for the upgrade, I went to SFO early and asked LH agent if I was able to pay to upgrade to premium economy. There were two seats available but none were aisle seats. I eventually paid US $349 to get a window seat in premium economy section. Cash upgrade at airport check-in counter is certainly possible but you only get left-over seats.

LH is making cash upgrade official on certain routes. (http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/upgrade-for-fixed-price) Again, I don't think it would work for segments with UA flight numbers.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:46 pm

Forgive me for my ignorance.

I want to fly LH business, have 150,000 UR points. If I book on United.com and upgrade with points, will I not be able to select seats until T-24 despite being in business? I hate a handicap that causes some accessible issues I face when flying so that is essentially a non-starter.

Essentially I want to use UR points to upgrade to LH biz, and get a seat assignment. Impossible?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sppunk
Essentially I want to use UR points to upgrade to LH biz, and get a seat assignment. Impossible?
There's no issue getting a business class seat assignment on LH so long as you have a business class ticket. The question is, how do you propose to upgrade on LH using UR points?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
There's no issue getting a business class seat assignment on LH so long as you have a business class ticket. The question is, how do you propose to upgrade on LH using UR points?
I can book a codeshare via United.com on LH metal and upgrade, right? This page on United.com gives me the impression that doable.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:36 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I can book a codeshare via United.com on LH metal and upgrade, right? This page on United.com gives me the impression that doable.
Well yes.

Downside is that it's going to be Uber Expensive fare.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Well yes.

Downside is that it's going to be Uber Expensive fare.
Yikes, no fun! I'd rather fly LH than UA metal and have no way to get points easily to upgrade (and can't stomach paying $5,000 airfare ).

Perhaps we give LH premium economy a go, but it stuck on the 748 in its location isn't appealing at all.

UA's 763s are just not my cup of tea ...
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:55 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Perhaps we give LH premium economy a go, but it stuck on the 748 in its location isn't appealing at all.

UA's 763s are just not my cup of tea ...
The only Premium Economy I personally flew was on EVA Air, and that was very good.

There are 2 flavors of 763 (for now). 3 class (soon to be converted) sucks in coach.

I've had very good experience with LH. I'd be happy to gamble on PE on 748.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
No, you cannot upgrade a codeshare. From your linked page:
Upgrades are valid only on participating Star Alliance carriers. Codeshare flights not eligible.
And even if you could, the star alliance upgrade requires a Y, B, E, or G fare (and E & G can't be ticketed on UA).
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by sfo3388
In November I flew SFO-MUC which was operated by LH but with UA flight number 8882 on 016 ticket (S class). I was able to do on-line check-in and seat assignment like 32 hours before departure. In theory it should be 23 hours but LH had a potential strike during that week. Perhaps that was the reason they lifted the restrictions sooner. MyOffer did not work for me. I think the problem is the UA flight number, not the 016 ticket.

As for the upgrade, I went to SFO early and asked LH agent if I was able to pay to upgrade to premium economy. There were two seats available but none were aisle seats. I eventually paid US $349 to get a window seat in premium economy section. Cash upgrade at airport check-in counter is certainly possible but you only get left-over seats.

LH is making cash upgrade official on certain routes. (http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/upgrade-for-fixed-price) Again, I don't think it would work for segments with UA flight numbers.
Thanks! Guess I will just plan on doing online check-in as soon as the window opens and hope for the best. Will ask about an upgrade at the airport if I can't find a way to do it online - right now looks like a full flight but premium economy is less than half full.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Sorry

Sorry y'all I know this answer is somewhere but I can't find it after an hour of looking so I figured I'd post. Be merciful please.

I'm seeing good deals on flights to Athens through FRA. I have a planned trip to Germany but want to go to Athens afterward. If I fly UA metal to FRA then don't take the Lufthansa flight to ATH, is UA going to know? How much do they communicate? Any chance I can talk an agent (I'm platinum) into cancelling that leg and leaving the rest of my ticket alone so I can book a separate flight to athens and take the original flight back?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 6:48 pm

Booked Lufthansa flight on United, how to change seat assignments?

I'm aware that I can change my seat assignment at the time of check-in, but is there a way that I can change before that (given that I'm traveling in group)?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pek2016
I'm aware that I can change my seat assignment at the time of check-in, but is there a way that I can change before that (given that I'm traveling in group)?
Depends on your fare category. LH charges for advance seat selection in many coach fare buckets.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
First you need to lookup your LH record locator on UAs website (Right below the UA record locator). Then you can go to the LH website and select your seat under "my bookings" (if you have a fare that is eligible).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.