Search

United's May 2014 Price Hike

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I was watching and pricing a flight from Houston-NYC for Labor Day.

But even today (edit: May 7th), from Aug 27-Sep 3:

DL: $269
WN: $285
UA: 6 am departure for $309
UA: rest of day is $360-429 depending on time
Now UA's 6 am flight is up to $340 and the majority of the flights are $400+. DL seems to be riding the fares up too, just not quite as much as UA. So glad I booked this ticket at the end of April.
Old May 11, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: Continental
Just saw a SFO-ORD flight in july go up $150 overnight.
Good thing I locked it in yesterday!
Old May 11, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Looking at IAH-SMF for next week and the price was $900 a week ago and yesterday it was $735 for the same flights. Too bad I don't have anther two weeks to wait for it to drop to $405.
Old May 11, 2014, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hockey7711
Just saw a SFO-ORD flight in july go up $150 overnight.
Good thing I locked it in yesterday!
Originally Posted by Air Houston
Looking at IAH-SMF for next week and the price was $900 a week ago and yesterday it was $735 for the same flights. Too bad I don't have anther two weeks to wait for it to drop to $405.
Yes airfares fluctuate quite a bit, often day to day and sometimes hour to hour. We all have our stories about how we hesitated to click "purchase" and the next day the same flights were $300 higher.

I don't think we can conclude anything from these anecdotal reports. Particularly since this we are heading into the heart of the summer vacation season.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes airfares fluctuate quite a bit, often day to day and sometimes hour to hour. We all have our stories about how we hesitated to click "purchase" and the next day the same flights were $300 higher.

I don't think we can conclude anything from these anecdotal reports. Particularly since this we are heading into the heart of the summer vacation season.
Well I travel ORD to NRT several times a year and the current fares are at least 300-400 higher than anything in my ten years of tracking. There is also virtually no difference for direct v. connecting or summer to fall to winter so something is definitely going on.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:37 am

These increases being reported could also be tied into the Mileage Plus changes to earn award miles based on ticket price rather than distance flown. Didn't see the press release until now.

http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-...10-905688.html

Last edited by elayman; Jun 11, 2014 at 10:15 am
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by elayman
These increases being reported could also be tied into the Mileage Plus changes to earn award miles based on ticket price rather than distance flown. Didn't see the press release until now.

http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-...10-905688.html
Pure coincidence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.