FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Article: Why United's Jeff Smisek is the worst CEO in the Business (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1574331-article-why-uniteds-jeff-smisek-worst-ceo-business.html)

demkr May 4, 2014 11:13 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

not every day I would link to the Huffington Post, but...
Some pretty scathing stuff here

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-...b_5249902.html

In-Flight Supervisor quote..
Kevin spoke about cutbacks on meals so harsh that breakfast on long flights routinely consists only of an omelet "made of God knows what," a "tiny piece of dried-out sausage patty," and "a flimsy plastic fork." When I inquired as to how many passengers send it back, he added, "By the time we feed them, they're so hungry they'll eat anything."

anc-ord772 May 4, 2014 11:20 am

A "Continental" divide.

Oh boy.

demkr May 4, 2014 11:22 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

The employee's comment about the toilet paper thing was just brutal. It is sad how low morale is. I often forget what frontline employees have to deal with. Sad

bmwe92fan May 4, 2014 11:24 am

My favorite quote "Probably the worst thing of all for a United customer, is to know you're getting the shaft and to see the CEO's smiling face everywhere you look. Does this guy have a camera fetish, or what? Do you see Richard Branson making movies telling you what a great job he's doing?"

kb1992 May 4, 2014 11:25 am

I doubt Jeff cares about the opinion of a part time Uber driver / cover song cowboy :eek::eek:

demkr May 4, 2014 11:29 am

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
My favorite quote "Probably the worst thing of all for a United customer, is to know you're getting the shaft and to see the CEO's smiling face everywhere you look. Does this guy have a camera fetish, or what? Do you see Richard Branson making movies telling you what a great job he's doing?"

Couldn't have said that one better myself! Not to mention most people don't need all that noise when they get on the plane. Smisek shpeel, safety vid, illongated announcements and DTV ads, ugh

username May 4, 2014 11:32 am

Ouch...

I have been thinking about this...I guess the big problem might be he has not been able to get the internal UA vs. CO thing settled.

The cultures of the two companies are very different to start with. It seems to me that, like many sUA flyers here, sUA employees do not think sCO understand and can run an airline like UA. Whether it is true or the normal human resistence in this situation, it cannot be good for the company and a good leader would have overcome it by now.

The sUA side might be saying "we told you so" now but what are we going to do?

I don't follow the union stuff and from what other discussions here, I guess that is a big problem too.

Then I was thinking - how about the fact that CO was a great airline by many metrics? Then I realized...How much did Smisek have to do with it? He inherited it, right?

I guess it might be logical to say "let's cut and get the numbers OK before we start turning things around" but if you lose your best customers in the process...

IAH-OIL-TRASH May 4, 2014 11:45 am

Originally Posted by username (Post 22808260)
...Then I was thinking - how about the fact that CO was a great airline by many metrics? Then I realized...How much did Smisek have to do with it? He inherited it, right?...

Yes. He had very little to do with CO's success. It was bewildering to me at the time that he was chosen to head the merged airline w/o a track record.

JetAway May 4, 2014 11:52 am

Good article. Every little bit helps.

Mike Jacoubowsky May 4, 2014 11:54 am

Pretty screwy world. You can legally fly a plane with no operating bathrooms (and I've been on a plane where 3 of 5 weren't operating at take off), but you'll divert and land a plane if it runs out of toilet paper. Why didn't they just padlock the bathrooms? :o

Originally Posted by JetAway (Post 22808342)
Good article. Every little bit helps.

Would have been much better had it been the WSJ quoting the Morgan Stanley analyst instead of a musician/part-time blogger with various different axes to grind but no direct connection to air travel.

washeelers747 May 4, 2014 12:18 pm

Find it very interesting that there are more articles on SMI/J after Q1 performance, and personally, I think it'll eventually lead to new CEO sometime in 2014. It'll become a major distraction for UA with mainstream media calling SMI/J to go.. Sooner SMI/J go, better it will be for UA...

mahasamatman May 4, 2014 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Putt86 (Post 22808466)
Find it very interesting that there are more articles on SMI/J after Q1 performance, and personally, I think it'll eventually lead to new CEO sometime in 2014.

Too bad columnists don't get to vote. Nearly everyone on the board is a lap dog, and there's no way they'll kick out their master as long as they have their Gravy Train®.

sfo May 4, 2014 12:30 pm

It would be interesting to know what CEO's of other airlines think about him, I sure they do have opinion.

mahasamatman May 4, 2014 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by sfo (Post 22808508)
It would be interesting to know what CEO's of other airlines think about him, I sure they do have opinion.

I'm sure they love him. He's probably the largest single contributor to the profitability of every other airline.

kb1992 May 4, 2014 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 22808518)
I'm sure they love him. He's probably the largest single contributor to the profitability of every other airline.

Haha... Is this really true?