Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Article: Why United's Jeff Smisek is the worst CEO in the Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Article: Why United's Jeff Smisek is the worst CEO in the Business

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA GS / MM
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
A terrible article by a clueless blogger, rife with factual inaccuracies and anonymous, unverifiable assertions. Sad that it even got posted here, really.
+1 . From a low quality site huffingtonpos.
Old May 4, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, AA, IHG Ambassador, Marriott Gold
this article has it dead right. It's so sad that Smisek has screwed it up so well that it's gonna take so much more $$$ to get it right again. The longer they wait, the worse it will be.
Old May 4, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I certainly agree with the conclusion about the substantial overall decline in the UA product, and would welcome a change in leadership.

It did distract me a bit to read the author's statements about "flying cross-country on old planes with no power adapters, no personal video screens..."

Just about every single UA plane flying cross-country without power adapters and personal video screens is a pmUA aircraft ordered by pmUA leadership before Smisek took over (I am aware there are a few currently "dark" 737-900s that have since come online; also, there are some pmCO 757-300's in operation that only provide power in certain rows in Y).

As to "uncomfortable, cramped seating," I question whether UA is really that far behind the domestic competition.

As to flights without free meals in Y, again, how far behind is UA with regard to domestic competition, at least in terms of flights within the mainland U.S.?

As to the "camera fetish," I remember well seeing the same "movies" when Gordon Bethune and then Larry Kellner were at the helm.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not a Smisek apologist. UA needs new leadership that restores customer confidence and loyalty in a once proud airline (on both the pmUA and pmCO fronts). The points I made above wouldn't matter or be noticed by most casual readers of the published article, but as an aviation buff, it did provide an unnecessary detour from the author's conclusion, which I wholeheartedly support.

Last edited by COA777; May 4, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Old May 4, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm sure they love him. He's probably the largest single contributor to the profitability of every other airline.
I'll be they like having him around because he makes them look good.
Old May 4, 2014, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by COA777
Just about every single UA plane flying cross-country without power adapters and personal video screens is a pmUA Airbus ordered by pmUA leadership before Smisek took over (I am aware there are a few currently "dark" 737-900s that have since come online).
UA has lots of 757's flying cross-country, with no power nor personal video.
Old May 4, 2014, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

Just about every single UA plane flying cross-country without power adapters and personal video screens is a pmUA Airbus ordered by pmUA leadership before Smisek took over (I am aware there are a few currently "dark" 737-900s that have since come online).
Not quite. Current management determined to rip IFE out of much of the 319/320 fleet and leave them dark. Likewise with the Hawaii config 772s.

And the vast majority of the "dark" 739s are sCO aircraft.

As to "uncomfortable, cramped seating," I question whether UA is really that far behind the domestic competition.
UA (along with WN) is taking the lead in this country on installation of slimline seating.

The nine across in Y on the 787 was a horrible decision from a customer comfort perspective. (AA made a similar decision going 10 across on the 777W, but stayed at only 9 across in the MCE section.)

As to the "camera fetish," I remember well seeing the same "movies" when Gordon Bethune and then Larry Kellner were at the helm.
I don't know about that, but I sure feel like throwing stuff at the screen when forced to watch smiley Jeff before every single flight.
Old May 4, 2014, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by sknyski
Yes, United sucks at times, but it's a race to the bottom for all domestic airline service.
I disagree. AA domestic F is far better than UA's domestic F, and AA so far isn't trying to downgrade their soft product the way UA has.
Old May 4, 2014, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
The nine across in Y on the 787 was a horrible decision from a customer comfort perspective.
This can't be UA's actual worst business decision, but it's the one I personally hate the most, even though it will probably never affect me.
Old May 4, 2014, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
UA has lots of 757's flying cross-country, with no power nor personal video.
I edited to state "pmUA aircraft," as the 757's flying cross-country without power or personal video are also pmUA aircraft ordered by pmUA management. I should edit again to note that pmCO 757-300's are in operation that only provide power in certain rows in Y (they all provide personal video entertainment or seat-back video throughout the aircraft, as well as power in every seat in F).

Last edited by COA777; May 4, 2014 at 7:02 pm
Old May 4, 2014, 6:56 pm
Suspended

I should edit again to note that pmCO 757-300's are in operation that only provide power in certain rows in Y (they all provide personal video entertainment or seat-back video).
Most of the 757-300's have no power, and overhead screens only. And these are all PMCO, right?
Old May 4, 2014, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I edited to state "pmUA aircraft," as the 757's flying cross-country without power or personal video are also pmUA aircraft ordered by pmUA management. I should edit again to note that pmCO 757-300's are in operation that only provide power in certain rows in Y (they all provide personal video entertainment or seat-back video).
I think you're confusing the 753 with the 752. EDIT - I guess some of the 753s have DTV, but others are overhead only.

This can't be UA's actual worst business decision, but it's the one I personally hate the most, even though it will probably never affect me.
Hey we agree here Can't remember, was UA the first to go 9 across in Y on the 787? I know NH was 8 originally but upped it to 9 for later deliveries.
Old May 4, 2014, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not quite. Current management determined to rip IFE out of much of the 319/320 fleet and leave them dark. Likewise with the Hawaii config 772s.

And the vast majority of the "dark" 739s are sCO aircraft.

UA (along with WN) is taking the lead in this country on installation of slimline seating.

The nine across in Y on the 787 was a horrible decision from a customer comfort perspective. (AA made a similar decision going 10 across on the 777W, but stayed at only 9 across in the MCE section.)

I don't know about that, but I sure feel like throwing stuff at the screen when forced to watch smiley Jeff before every single flight.

Thanks for pointing out the 319/320 decision. I left out the HI-configured 772's because the author was discussing flying cross-country.

Good point on slimline--clearly an impact on comfort even if not on space.
Old May 4, 2014, 7:01 pm
Suspended

JAL is 8-across in the 787, but all of the seats have 31-inch pitch, so I'd say that's even worse than UA. Boeing should have written contracts requiring minimum seat configuration quality for access to their great new plane. As it is, it's going to acquire a reputation for leading a new wave of crowding. :-(
Old May 4, 2014, 7:05 pm

JAL is 8-across in the 787, but all of the seats have 31-inch pitch, so I'd say that's even worse than UA. Boeing should have written contracts requiring minimum seat configuration quality for access to their great new plane. As it is, it's going to acquire a reputation for leading a new wave of crowding. :-(
Along with the airlines that put 10 across in the 777, and those considering squeezing in extra seats in the A380 and A350.
Old May 4, 2014, 7:06 pm

Most of the 757-300's have no power, and overhead screens only. And these are all PMCO, right?
Yes--all 753's are pmCO to my knowledge. According to http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...0/default.aspx,

Version 1 of the 753 provides power outlets in F, Rows 7-15, 20-21, and 16-19 in Y, and DirecTV throughout, while Version 2 provides power outlets in F, Rows 7-15, 20-21, and 16-19 in Y, and personal device entertainment throughout.

Is their information not correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.