Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Article: Why United's Jeff Smisek is the worst CEO in the Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Article: Why United's Jeff Smisek is the worst CEO in the Business

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2014, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
We'll agree to disagree on AA. I find it a clear step up from UA. Have you flown AA F? Feels quite luxurious in relation to UA.
I only flew 6 AA flights recently up front.

Yes, MIA-LAX, very unimpressed on the 777, pretty bad seat, also on the 762 LAX-JFK. Both planes were disgustingly dirty, I have pictures of old kleenexes from between the window and seat. The food was just as uninspired as domestic UA 3 class F would be.

Dont even get me started on the horrible condition of the old 757s on LAX-KOA-LAX that looked like they were from 1975, falling apart, old pleather yellow seats, with pen marks, and broken footrests

JFK-MIA - cancelled while already on the plane, a clusterf in IRROPS, no flexibility, lied about how its weather with clear skies in JFK and everything else taking off

One other flight, ORD-YYZ, delayed indefinitely and finally cancelled - no flexibility in rebooking (and I have BA/CX/AS status).

I do like their preorder meal idea though, and the flagship lounges in MIA/LAX were great.
Old May 4, 2014, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
My opinion is that many people who use the "Race to the bottom" thing, which in my judgment sounds like a talking point since it is used by many people who regularly defend Smisek's actions or rah-rah about UA, haven't flown AA or DL in several years.

I don't think it's appropriate for people to compare the other two to UA until they've actually experienced a few flights (in F, quite frankly).

For example, if one were to fly AA or DL regional F, they'd discover that the meal they receive is more substantial and appetizing than UA's mainline F meal.

They might discover that DM's and EXP's have a significantly higher upgrade rate than UA 1K's, and that somehow, someway, they're able to make more money than UA and not completely gut the FF experience.

To be fair, yes, the DL program was cut, but with those cuts didn't come product devaluations. All UA has done since adding the PQD requirements is make 1K worth less.
Old May 4, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
The share price is equal to the market's expectation for net present value of future earnings. If management makes changes that reduce expected future earnings, then the stock price will go down, not up. The only way that wouldn't be true is if most investors are wrong about how UA's future performance will be. You can argue that case, but then you have to present a compelling reasoning to support the conclusion that FT members in a (mostly) anonymous internet forum are better at predicting future financial return on investment than the collective investment community. What is the basis for thinking that?
Actually, we have been better at predicting where United's profits would go than the investment community. That is a fact, and its an indisputable fact.

Today? United has a 40.36:1 P/E ratio on a trailing basis. And this is based upon the "profit" ex-special items. The P/E ratio is over 50:1 on a GAAP basis.

What has happened is that the "savvy" promoters and fly by night operators who suggested Jeff's "savvy" business plan, and sold it to institutional investors, have put very high profit targets on UAL. They have predicted that United just has to make money, and lots of it. Why? Well to the Hunter Keays of the world, if you cut service, cut the mileage program, and upsell like a crack ho on Capp street, well you have to make bank right? Its almost a religious belief.

And the institutional investors who bought on Hunter's advise, his promise that United would double its profits, justifying the values? Well they are stuck, and just hoping it all works out.

But given the track record of the "street" you are not going to get far claiming that Jeff is "savvy" as he is following the street's plans...

Because his assertions are unverifiable. Did he actually have this conversation with "Kevin"? Are the details as he states? Is "Kevin" an accurate and reliable source of what he sees, or a disgruntled employee who may have lost some benefits he valued and has an axe to grind? We can't tell from the article, and to the extent we rely on the author's judgment on these matters, his credibility seems lacking. So if you already believed the things he asserts, then of course you will continue to believe them. But if you didn't believe the things he asserts, you probably still won't believe them after reading the article, and shouldn't. So what does the article bring to the table?
I really don't understand your point. The author quotes a FA who says the food is awful. Do you doubt this? It is awful, that is a verifiable fact. Even the CO till death do us part defenders will admit that.

And are you suggesting the comment about people saying Virgin is better is not true? Virgin is better. Having just gotten off a Virgin transcon in F, I can swear on a stack of bibles that the difference is between spending 6 hours hanging out at a libby's cafeteria and being at a nice bar/restaurant with attractive hostesses. But hey, tell us how great United's net promoter score is....

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Why would I debate you on a point I wasn't making? Listen - my point is that many of your posts on this thread are what I would call "rat holes" - and I think you know what I mean.... Let's discuss the real point of the article - not all of the anciallry junk that in the end is meaningless. You can say that the points aren't valid because the author isn't qualified to make them - but I think you know that the majority of the authors points can and will be backed up by plenty of FT real world occurences.

EDIT: I am posting this as I am sitting the the IAD GFL lounge eating totally frozen three day old shrimp and drinking $7.99 / bottle white wine. I can categorically state that this wasn't the case last year - where I could get decent food and decent wine regualrly here - and in the ORD lounges. Things have changed at UA - and not for the better.
Bingo. At this point there are no facts to defend UAfkaCO and Jeff's management, and its just reflexive defending going on.

Originally Posted by NiceLanding
Let's say for a moment that the stock price is driven mainly by a small community of analysts and fund managers who have never run an airline themselves, but think they know how they work. In the short run, maybe even three to five years, you can make them happy by following their advice. As long as they think that you're doing the right thing for the future, they'll keep buying your stock. Of course, reality will eventually catch up, at which time everyone's in for a nasty surprise. Perhaps this is the reason that institutional ownership is so high for UA?
You have succinctly diagnosed the problem. Jeff's business plan was that suggested by the Hunter Keay/Jimmy Bakers of the world. They in turn sold the institutional investors. There is a lot of resistance to saying things are not working out when you suggested the current course. And as it did not work out, they (because they can) don't want to admit they bet on the wrong horse, and if they sold, there would be no buyers, so they hold. But at some point they will bail, and I think the relative movement of DAL/AAL and UAL in the last two weeks shows that an inflection point has been reached.

Originally Posted by sknyski
*sigh* another me-too United-bashing article. Yes, United sucks at times, but it's a race to the bottom for all domestic airline service. United may be in the lead, but they are all headed there. People who want cheap airfares need to lower their expectations.

And for crying out loud, if you are going to bring a gaggle of teens on an airplane for a long flight, bring food for them.

bt
Ah, and four pages in, someone finally says the only thing that the defenders can say "all airlines are bad"

Well you might get out more often, get off the "jeff'd up" airline. Fact is, other airlines do better, and its not just FT, its what third party surveys show:

http://commons.erau.edu/cgi/viewcont...0&context=aqrr [see page 15, dead last of the major airlines]

http://www.theacsi.org/news-and-reso...-2014-download [United in dead last, by a lot... ]
Old May 4, 2014, 5:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
A terrible article by a clueless blogger, rife with factual inaccuracies and anonymous, unverifiable assertions. Sad that it even got posted here, really.
Here's a more interesting article in tomorrow's Crain's Chicago Business with a lot of facts:

Did United's Smisek really earn that bonus?

Plenty to read there so I'll just post a short part:

Wall Street is losing patience as United falls further behind. The company's 3 percent revenue growth last year was less than half the industry average, while its profit margins lagged by about a third. United reported flat revenue and a big operating loss in the first quarter, as Delta and American Airlines Group Inc. booked healthy profits and revenue growth. Relatively downbeat second-quarter guidance indicated that United won't close the gap soon.
“What's frustrating to everyone is that they're still experiencing issues that should have been cleaned up a year ago,” says analyst Helane Becker at Cowen & Co. in New York.
Old May 4, 2014, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by demkr
In what respect(s) is AA worse, exactly? is it the 100% upgrade rates among EXPs or the substantially better domestic meals, and wi-fi across the fleet?
This.
Old May 4, 2014, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
On the subject of Smiske's $8M bonus,
According to United's proxy, 40 percent of the bonus was tied to internal and procedural “milestones” such as combining frequent-flier programs and winning federal approval to operate as a single carrier. The rest was based on squeezing $1.2 billion in synergies out of the combined operation.
Well I guess we now know the rationale behind Project Quality and the $2B in cuts.
Old May 4, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I don't have any way to know if he was actually promised a meal, or he misread what he was going to get.
Ah yes, the true apologist argument.... it's ALWAYS the customer's fault.
Old May 4, 2014, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I'm sorry but it's not a personal attack when I correctly reference how you respond and post in this thread.
I have no problem with you referencing what I write. But:

If you honestly believe that the points in the article are WRONG lets discuss that - instead of wasting time on this....

Listen - my point is that many of your posts on this thread are what I would call "rat holes" - and I think you know what I mean....

No - you make comments from an angle that were not intended by the poster and seemingly with an agenda that appears to be quite defensive of UA....

Once again you pivot AWAY from the real meaning of your post....

I'm just commenting on the article that is the subject of this thread. Please stop telling me what you think I should write about or what you (incorrectly) believe my agenda to be.

Originally Posted by hobo13
Ah yes, the true apologist argument.... it's ALWAYS the customer's fault.
I said, "I have no way to know." Isn't that the exact opposite of "it's always the customer's fault"?

Last edited by J.Edward; May 4, 2014 at 6:12 pm Reason: Merge
Old May 4, 2014, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I only flew 6 AA flights recently up front.

Yes, MIA-LAX, very unimpressed on the 777, pretty bad seat, also on the 762 LAX-JFK. Both planes were disgustingly dirty, I have pictures of old kleenexes from between the window and seat. The food was just as uninspired as domestic UA 3 class F would be.

Dont even get me started on the horrible condition of the old 757s on LAX-KOA-LAX that looked like they were from 1975, falling apart, old pleather yellow seats, with pen marks, and broken footrests

JFK-MIA - cancelled while already on the plane, a clusterf in IRROPS, no flexibility, lied about how its weather with clear skies in JFK and everything else taking off

One other flight, ORD-YYZ, delayed indefinitely and finally cancelled - no flexibility in rebooking (and I have BA/CX/AS status).

I do like their preorder meal idea though, and the flagship lounges in MIA/LAX were great.
I know the 777 F seats MIA-LAX are old, but for a transcon, what UA route has better seating than 1x2x1 suites.

In terms of LAX-KOA-LAX AA 757s on that route don't have footrests.

I'll agree the planes should be cleaner, but UA planes leave a lot to be desired.

In terms of domestic F meals, there is no way to argue or spin that UA approaches AA currently.
Old May 4, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA GS MM, HHonors Silver, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, AA, DL
Conversations with FAs

Because his assertions are unverifiable. Did he actually have this conversation with "Kevin"? Are the details as he states? Is "Kevin" an accurate and reliable source of what he sees, or a disgruntled employee who may have lost some benefits he valued and has an axe to grind? We can't tell from the article, and to the extent we rely on the author's judgment on these matters, his credibility seems lacking. So if you already believed the things he asserts, then of course you will continue to believe them. But if you didn't believe the things he asserts, you probably still won't believe them after reading the article, and shouldn't. So what does the article bring to the table?
I have had multiple similar conversations. Have you asked the questions?
Old May 4, 2014, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Ecuacoflyer
I have had multiple similar conversations. Have you asked the questions?
I don't understand the question. Have I spent a lot of time talking to UA flight attendants? No. I do know that a lot of UA flight attendants are very angry with management and are likely to say negative things about management regardless of what the truth might be.

Originally Posted by tom911
Here's a more interesting article in tomorrow's Crain's Chicago Business with a lot of facts:

Did United's Smisek really earn that bonus?
If the board decides to incentivize the CEO to cut costs and doesn't incentivize the CEO to satisfy customers or increase demand for their product, then the results shouldn't be surprising to anyone. Sounds like the problem here is as much with the board as the CEO (although I don't know how independent they are and how much they actually set priorities vs. just doing whatever the CEO tells them).

Last edited by J.Edward; May 4, 2014 at 6:11 pm Reason: Merge
Old May 4, 2014, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
He came along at a PERFECT time for AA!
Agreed.
Old May 4, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
In terms of LAX-KOA-LAX AA 757s on that route don't have footrests.
Apologies, you are right, it was these seats, it was just the backing/underseat plastic of the seat in front of us that was dangling loose

Seriously, comparing UA and AA is a pointless exercise. Its poop vs poop
Old May 4, 2014, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I'll give you DL - vast improvements, but alas, no frequent flyer program
DL SkyMiles is the worst FFP.

Until UA reaches that low, I won't consider flying DL.
Old May 4, 2014, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Apologies, you are right, it was these seats, it was just the backing/underseat plastic of the seat in front of us that was dangling loose

Seriously, comparing UA and AA is a pointless exercise. Its poop vs poop
Actually in the past 2 years AA has raised it's game, particularly in the catering area. It also seems virtually every AA domestic flight has wifi.

In terms of customer facing personnel, neither set the world on fire. Both have dome dismal FAs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.