Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Article: Why United's Jeff Smisek is the worst CEO in the Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Article: Why United's Jeff Smisek is the worst CEO in the Business

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2014, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Yes - unfortunately this is most certainly how the stock market works today. I used to work for one of the largest instutitions on Wall street and now work in private equity. This is nothing new - it's just not as widely known as it should be LOL! And this is most certainly not the thread for it as you correctly point out!
If you wanted to start a thread about how to assess the meaning of changes in airline's stock pricing, that might be interesting (or not). I take it from your argument that you would want to refute all of the arguments we see in this forum about how the underperformance of UA stock, relative to its peers, indicates a problem with UA's leadership? You think it's meaningless, or worse?
Old May 4, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
If you wanted to start a thread about how to assess the meaning of changes in airline's stock pricing, that might be interesting (or not). I take it from your argument that you would want to refute all of the arguments we see in this forum about how the underperformance of UA stock, relative to its peers, indicates a problem with UA's leadership? You think it's meaningless, or worse?
Once again you pivot AWAY from the real meaning of your post - which was that you DON'T believe that is how things work. I worked there for years - and work there now - and that is certainly know how things work on Wall street! All I posted was that I don't agree with your position and have a factual reason to believe that - and the above is what I get.... Own your words and your points - and don't make mine more than they meant.
Old May 4, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Huh? If he owns more stock then you think he has a stronger motive for the airline to lose money? How does that work??
No, the stock price has gone up since he came on board, and some of this was done by cutting out cost areas, such as food, service items, etc.. Thus, with the rising stock price and his buying more stock he raises his value.
Old May 4, 2014, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Jeff isn't going anywhere. All this is just coffee house talk. I'll be the first one to celebrate if I'm wrong and hire someone with leadership skills and values the 1Ks.
Old May 4, 2014, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Jeff isn't going anywhere. All this is just coffee house talk. I'll be the first one to celebrate if I'm wrong and hire someone with leadership skills and values the 1Ks.
A fair assessment of present but how many profit losses will the BOD take?
Old May 4, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

A fair assessment of present but how many profit losses will the BOD take?
United lost money in 1Q2014, but that was just one quarter. United posted a full-year profit in 2013. If United continues to lose money this year, the BoD may take action.
Old May 4, 2014, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Kevin remarked that he can't even remember the last time someone said "wow" about United.

I say "wow" about United every time I fly them.

Just not in a good way
Old May 4, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
*sigh* another me-too United-bashing article. Yes, United sucks at times, but it's a race to the bottom for all domestic airline service. United may be in the lead, but they are all headed there. People who want cheap airfares need to lower their expectations.

And for crying out loud, if you are going to bring a gaggle of teens on an airplane for a long flight, bring food for them.

bt
Old May 4, 2014, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sknyski
*sigh* another me-too United-bashing article. Yes, United sucks at times, but it's a race to the bottom for all domestic airline service. United may be in the lead, but they are all headed there.
Guessing you haven't flown AA or DL in the past couple years? Those of us who have, most consistently say those two airlines are actually striving to improve.

There's a reason UA was $1B behind those airlines in earnings last quarter.
Old May 4, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Unfortunately the only thing I "learned" from this article was you get 3 olives which is better than 2 grapes in first!
Old May 4, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by zebranz
Unfortunately the only thing I "learned" from this article was you get 3 olives which is better than 2 grapes in first!
And no limes in Y or F.
Old May 4, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by zebranz
A terrible article by a clueless blogger, rife with factual inaccuracies and anonymous, unverifiable assertions. Sad that it even got posted here, really.
Old May 4, 2014, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Guessing you haven't flown AA or DL in the past couple years?
I'll give you DL - vast improvements, but alas, no frequent flyer program
AA... cmon... seriously... its just as bad, if not worse than UA. They just happen to be better at making money (at the moment)
Old May 4, 2014, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I didn't see any factual inaccuracy in his article. The Smisek cheerleading squad is sure up in arms over it, but that goes for every thread where UA's performance is the subject.

AA... cmon... seriously... its just as bad, if not worse than UA. They just happen to be better at making money (at the moment)
In what respect(s) is AA worse, exactly? is it the 100% upgrade rates among EXPs or the substantially better domestic meals, and wi-fi across the fleet?

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I only flew 6 AA flights recently up front.

Yes, MIA-LAX, very unimpressed on the 777, pretty bad seat, also on the 762 LAX-JFK. Both planes were disgustingly dirty, I have pictures of old kleenexes from between the window and seat. The food was just as uninspired as domestic UA 3 class F would be.

Dont even get me started on the horrible condition of the old 757s on LAX-KOA-LAX that looked like they were from 1975, falling apart, old pleather yellow seats, with pen marks, and broken footrests

JFK-MIA - cancelled while already on the plane, a clusterf in IRROPS, no flexibility, lied about how its weather with clear skies in JFK and everything else taking off

One other flight, ORD-YYZ, delayed indefinitely and finally cancelled - no flexibility in rebooking (and I have BA/CX/AS status).

I do like their preorder meal idea though, and the flagship lounges in MIA/LAX were great.
Well, the 762s are retired now, I believe. I enjoyed the plane very much as it was an easy upgrade, spacious, and they've had wifi for ages. They are now using A321s on transcons (far nicer than PS, both hard/soft product).

Have you flown them recently?

Last edited by demkr; May 4, 2014 at 5:08 pm
Old May 4, 2014, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
We'll agree to disagree on AA. I find it a clear step up from UA. Have you flown AA F? Feels quite luxurious in relation to UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.