Wiki Posts
Search

Post Flight Surveys

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Post Flight Surveys

As we know, the surveys that UA sends out after our flights are completed are how they score their internal customer satisfaction scores. For the last several months in a row, they have missed more or less ALL of their internal goals. Despite this, I have noticed for the last month that I NEVER receive the survey if the flight was more than an hour late, or if they lost a bag etc. I do ALWAYS receive it if the flight was on time etc.

Anyone else having similar experiences ?
Old May 1, 2014, 9:19 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
As we know, the surveys that UA sends out after our flights are completed are how they score their internal customer satisfaction scores. For the last several months in a row, they have missed more or less ALL of their internal goals. Despite this, I have noticed for the last month that I NEVER receive the survey if the flight was more than an hour late, or if they lost a bag etc. I do ALWAYS receive it if the flight was on time etc.

Anyone else having similar experiences ?
From my small sample, yes, but I would say that this is not a scientific sample. Mrs. TXP flew IAH-DEN, flight was 4 hours late, missed connection in DEN and had to wait hours for next fligth. Arrived at destination 8 hours late. No survey.

My four recent flights to the NE, all flawless (uneventful), received survey in each case.

This could be just a coincidence.
Old May 1, 2014, 9:29 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I have also noticed the same thing. If I ever have some sort of service failure, no survey. Otoh, Delta sent me a survey specifically about a significant flight delay I had yesterday.
Old May 1, 2014, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I don't acknowledge the surveys, since they arrive before my flight miles have been posted and thus officially recognized by UA :-:

(but I have heard others speak of the trend you identify)
Old May 1, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
If this is truly happening it should be a fireable offense. I know some may argue that a service failure may skew the results negative, but the survey can pinpoint the failure beyond what a computer says. Also if this is being done to hit internal numbers, it does not represent reality and will only keep UA from improving (not that they are trying very hard). If this is being directed by the top down, then the BOD and investors need to know this as we all know this organization will try to paint a very rosy picture when in fact is manipulated data.

This reminds me of a burger king restaurant I visited at drive thru. They asked me to pull forward in front of the window even though no traffic was behind me. I called them out that your just trying to fluff your turn time when in reality my food did not come out any faster. The workers essentially told me management wanted to see wait times go down and this was a way of doing that. Needless to say I have not visted this location for quite some time.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Ny last three flights were as follows: canceled, delayed 90 min, delayed 2.5h (can't wait to see what's next) and all received surveys about 12h after arrival. YMMV.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:11 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
This is complete speculation, but is it feasibly possible for them to be sending surveys based on previous responses from a person? So say flyers X and Y get the survey, flyer X gives UA a good score and flyer Y throws a fit on the survey. Then in the future, flyer X keeps getting them and Y doesn't.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Yes! I get the surveys, almost without fail, when I have no issues with the flights. However, on the return portion of my last trip, I had two mechanicals and two weather delays, and no surveys. I did get a survey request from Star Alliance for my outbound flight, however. That was a new one for me...
Old May 1, 2014, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I haven't received a survey going back probably eight or ten flights.

I was pretty consistently praising FAs and trashing operational reliability and food.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:32 pm

Mine ALL go immediately into the trash.
Let them figure out what's screwed up on their own!
They've got ALL the answers anyway, just ask them!!!
Old May 1, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
I've had 3 surveys over the past 14 months from over 40 segments. I've never given them a good score, I wonder if those that get it repeatedly give them good scores.
Old May 1, 2014, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Halo117
If this is truly happening it should be a fireable offense. I know some may argue that a service failure may skew the results negative, but the survey can pinpoint the failure beyond what a computer says. Also if this is being done to hit internal numbers, it does not represent reality and will only keep UA from improving (not that they are trying very hard). If this is being directed by the top down, then the BOD and investors need to know this as we all know this organization will try to paint a very rosy picture when in fact is manipulated data.

This reminds me of a burger king restaurant I visited at drive thru. They asked me to pull forward in front of the window even though no traffic was behind me. I called them out that your just trying to fluff your turn time when in reality my food did not come out any faster. The workers essentially told me management wanted to see wait times go down and this was a way of doing that. Needless to say I have not visted this location for quite some time.
Survey methodology is not one of CO's strongpoints. Remember the coffee survey? How do you like it? Good. Great. Best Stuff Ever! Other _____.
Old May 1, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: UAMP Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold
All of my UA flights over the last year have been uneventful (on time, no missed connections, etc....) and for the most part I always received the surveys. My last three UA flights (ORD-FRA and KWI-IAD-ORD) over the last two weeks were also uneventful and I didnt receive the survey for any of them (though I did receive a Star Alliance survey for the ORD-FRA flight). So is it malicious or just by happenstance, who knows?
Old May 1, 2014, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA GS / MM
I do receive them regularly but I have a different question. Ever since the Supreme Court said airline can kick out FF for complaining too much, I have wondered how much truthfulness should I respond in those UA surveys? If one gives low scores, is there any negative impact? Otherwise, it's like voting for congress, filling out surveys may make no difference.
Old May 1, 2014, 11:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GS8101
I do receive them regularly but I have a different question. Ever since the Supreme Court said airline can kick out FF for complaining too much, I have wondered how much truthfulness should I respond in those UA surveys? If one gives low scores, is there any negative impact? Otherwise, it's like voting for congress, filling out surveys may make no difference.
If that level of negative commentary could get you in trouble with UA, 90% of the members on this forum would have been booted from MP a long time ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.