Wiki Posts
Search

Short Checking Bag

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Short Checking Bag

I have an 8 hour layover in Cleveland next week. I would like to visit a local brewery and buy some of their beer to take home. Will United allow me to short-check my bag to CLE?
Old May 1, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wxalex
I have an 8 hour layover in Cleveland next week. I would like to visit a local brewery and buy some of their beer to take home. Will United allow me to short-check my bag to CLE?
I believe you can if the layover is over 4 hours.
Old May 1, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K2MM, HH Diamond (LT), Mar Plat, Avis First
Why not just check in another bag with your beer in it, and leave the original bag enroute. It's been a while, but I believe you can check in another bag at midpoint, Just tell them you want to check in your carry on because you left the airport, and now have liquid that can't go through security.
Old May 1, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by takeahike66
Why not just check in another bag with your beer in it, and leave the original bag enroute. It's been a while, but I believe you can check in another bag at midpoint, Just tell them you want to check in your carry on because you left the airport, and now have liquid that can't go through security.
Most beer/wine shippers are too big to carry-on, and now the OP has to buy one in CLE.
Old May 1, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
FWIW, there's a Great Lakes pub airside by C-14. Their FB page says they sell 6-packs to go.
Old May 1, 2014, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by paule123
FWIW, there's a Great Lakes pub airside by C-14. Their FB page says they sell 6-packs to go.
Saw the summary and was going to guess this was the objective of the Cleveland layover. It's good in a pinch, but a bit pricey IMO... that said it takes less packaging to carry a six-pack on than it does to check it. Other downsides include arriving at your final destination with with only a 4-pack after a nice long RJ delay.
Old May 2, 2014, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by paule123
Yeah, that great lakes pub is great. But I am planning to go to Fathead's, which is very very great.
Old May 2, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Yeah, that great lakes pub is great. But I am planning to go to Fathead's, which is very very great.
Quite true. Try to find the Hop JuJu - it was a limited release a few months back, but worth looking for!
Old May 2, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: I miss US Airways
You sir, have excellent taste.
Old May 2, 2014, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by woody1173
Quite true. Try to find the Hop JuJu - it was a limited release a few months back, but worth looking for!
Originally Posted by sbbutler93
You sir, have excellent taste.
You all are making me homesick...
Old May 2, 2014, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wto605
You all are making me homesick...
Would it be OT to mention I'm checking two wine shippers next week to get a full allotment of Russian River Pliny and Blind Pig (as well as two growlers)?
Old May 2, 2014, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
Would it be OT to mention I'm checking two wine shippers next week to get a full allotment of Russian River Pliny and Blind Pig (as well as two growlers)?
I've been in norcal for a year now and haven't seen Russian River yet... this is disturbing.

Now there's another brewery on my Sonoma/Mendocino brewery tour list. I better get around to doing this soon or it will take a week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.