Search

Economy B fare class

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: All of them
Economy B fare class

No status - but trying hard.

I have a B fare ticket to NYC later this month and the only option to upgrade is miles. Why isn't it giving me the use cash to upgrade to Buiness?
Old May 1, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, 3 Million Miler, Hyatt GP Diamond
I am not sure, but maybe you should call and see if they will give you a complementary upgrade to C as they do for elite customers.
Old May 1, 2014, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tmas

I have a B fare ticket to NYC later this month and the only option to upgrade is miles. Why isn't it giving me the use cash to upgrade to Buiness?
.com does not always offer paid upgrade options.

You can always upfare to F if you want, using either "change flights" online or by calling. Since it's a B fare, I would assume there will be no change fee, just a fare differential.

I would run a dummy search to see what the current first class fares are for your flights. Note that the cheapest front cabin fares (P, Z) will be considerably more restricted than your B fare.
Old May 1, 2014, 9:15 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Probably because there are no more discounted business available.

Originally Posted by motintan
I am not sure, but maybe you should call and see if they will give you a complementary upgrade to C as they do for elite customers.
Not going to happen.
Old May 1, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by tmas

Different mechanisms for upgrades.

Miles (sometimes + cash) (or RPU/GPU) provide for upgrades on space-available basis. Sometimes you end up on waitlist, and never get actual upgrade.

Cash upgrades are offered if there is actual space available and United's revenue algorithms conclude they won't sell the seats at a higher fare, but may be able to sell the seat as a cash upgrade (rather than giving it away on a complimentary basis or to someone using miles).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.