Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Push for CEO Ouster Finally Officially Started?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Push for CEO Ouster Finally Officially Started?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:51 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
I've been (re) reading From Worst to First the last few days, and if you've never read it (or even if you have) I highly suggest it.

There are SO many points in the book where Gordon's counter example IS today's UA.

The book takes on an entirely new meaning in the post-merger Smisek era. I have no doubt that Smisek was a great attorney who did wonderful things when CAL needed him. But a leader, he is not. We should all send him copies of the book and implore him to actually read it this time.

The pizza's beyond too cheap, folks.
Jeff was specifically mentioned in the book. In fact, it was referenced that he told his secretary not to book any CO flights prior to joining CO.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Darlox
As for UA flyers, well... be careful what you ask for. Things will get worse (possibly much, much worse) before they get better.
Isn't there a saying that 'the lawyer you know is better than the devil you don't know....'
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA G
Yawn. The same thing happened when Tilton was CEO. "Glenn's Gotta Go" wristbands for everyone!
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Yawn. The same thing happened when Tilton was CEO. "Glenn's Gotta Go" wristbands for everyone!
Except, Glenn ended up being a positive force, at least for premium customers. UA was in dire shape and he managed to clean up the shop, not without some damage to employee morale, and in the end, UA was on a good trajectory, while CO was starting to free fall.

Now there's the merger, in which the combined airline (on paper) ought to be a powerhouse, with the best hubs, route structure, mileage program, etc. And yet... they're running it into the ground.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:40 pm

Hmmm, UA made 1.1B last year and lost a little over 600M this last quarter and they are calling for Smisek's ouster. After one bad quarter. Thank god UA has a BOD and not pilots running the place.

UA has serious issues to remedy but they are correctable.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by entropy
Except, Glenn ended up being a positive force, at least for premium customers. UA was in dire shape and he managed to clean up the shop, not without some damage to employee morale, and in the end, UA was on a good trajectory, while CO was starting to free fall.

Now there's the merger, in which the combined airline (on paper) ought to be a powerhouse, with the best hubs, route structure, mileage program, etc. And yet... they're running it into the ground.
All I'm saying is that employees (and even customers - lucky has a blog post about his own Glenn's Gotta Go bracelets) have tried to remove UA's CEO in the past. It hasn't worked.

Institutional investors are really the only ones that will get any time with the BoD.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
I give them an A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Let's get a business person who comes from a customer service background and NOT purely bean counter background.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: AADULtArer

I think its pretty pathetic the lapdogs on the board seem content to continue on as they have been.....
Just remember the lapdogs are in FC on peepads, while the twitter analysts chirp away in row 39
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by KnightInWhiteSatin
.. UA has serious issues to remedy but they are correctable.
Is present management the best to solve those issues?
That is the fundamental question from the stockholders point of view (in the case of UA -- the institutional stockholders -- these are the folks with the most influence who is the management leadership), from the employees point of view and from the customers point of view.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by unavaca
All I'm saying is that employees (and even customers - lucky has a blog post about his own Glenn's Gotta Go bracelets) have tried to remove UA's CEO in the past. It hasn't worked.
Last I checked, Glenn did Go. @:-)
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:57 pm

It's great to have a punching bag--and Jeff fits the bill nicely--but the problem and the solution begins and ends with the BoD.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hobo13
Last I checked, Glenn did Go. @:-)
Years later and his terms / timeline.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by JetAway
It's great to have a punching bag--and Jeff fits the bill nicely--but the problem and the solution begins and ends with the BoD.
and the BoD is chaired by whom...? @:-)
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: Who knows anymore. It's a f---ing pandemic.
So the suits are on AA and DL, and the insulted backpackers are now flip-flopping their way over to WN.

I'm sticking with UA. I'll have the whole plane to myself.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Don't over-interpret the impact of a statement from a local branch of a single union as indicative of anything.
Remember the following:

1. The pilots' union has a seat on the UAL Board of Directors, so the UAL ALPA leadership has a fuller picture of United's managerial goings-on and progress on behind-the-scenes activity than a local branch...and a more effective outlet to effect change.

2. Jeff's record has obvious shortcomings, but he is also leading positive efforts to make United function as a healthy airline for the first time in decades on matters ranging from maintenance to hub facilities to strategic planning. ALPA MEC leadership knows just how lacking pre-merger United was in each of those areas, and how much things have and will continue to improve through their UAL BOD seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.