Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Unable to book UA198 (LAX-PVG) as either award or revenue flight with a connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unable to book UA198 (LAX-PVG) as either award or revenue flight with a connection

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold

I'm looking at one way both award and revenue flights from LAX to KMG (Kunming China) in July and all results come back using CA codeshares from LAX to PEK and then a connection on CA to KMG. Some other options route through SFO on UA. I've tried multiple dates but UA198 to PVG never comes up as an option for award or revenue with the connection to KMG, which would be on CA. Even when I attempt to book using multiple cities and enter in LAX-PVG and PVG-KMG separately I then get an error message saying UA does not fly from LAX to PVG which I know to be completely untrue. Any tips here to make UA198 show up, preferably as an award ticket? While I have enjoyed flying CA's international services as of late, I'd rather avoid this option on LAX-PEK until more is known about the mysterious cancellations of UA award tickets on CA.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
I'm looking at one way both award and revenue flights from LAX to KMG (Kunming China) in July and all results come back using CA codeshares from LAX to PEK and then a connection on CA to KMG. Some other options route through SFO on UA. I've tried multiple dates but UA198 to PVG never comes up as an option for award or revenue with the connection to KMG, which would be on CA. Even when I attempt to book using multiple cities and enter in LAX-PVG and PVG-KMG separately I then get an error message saying UA does not fly from LAX to PVG which I know to be completely untrue. Any tips here to make UA198 show up, preferably as an award ticket? While I have enjoyed flying CA's international services as of late, I'd rather avoid this option on LAX-PEK until more is known about the mysterious cancellations of UA award tickets on CA.
Are you sure CA flies PVG-KMG? PVG is not a hub for CA.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
I suspect you'll need to call in. The only date available all of July is 7/9 for an award in Y for LAX-PVG. You also need to overnight in PVG because LAX-PVG arrives in late evening, and PVG-KMG departs in the morning.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hirohito888
I suspect you'll need to call in. The only date available all of July is 7/9 for an award in Y for LAX-PVG. You also need to overnight in PVG because LAX-PVG arrives in late evening, and PVG-KMG departs in the morning.
Thanks! This would explain it, though not why this routing won't show up as a revenue flight, unless the overnight in PVG is just considered too long by the website for a layover. Just out of curiosity, how did you come up with the Y award inventory for this flight for the whole month? Since it doesn't even show up for me I haven't even been able to see what the inventory looks like for the month. Haven't decided whether to fly in Y or C (have plenty of miles) but might just book LAX-PEK on CA and stick with Y since no cancellations seem to have been reported there. IFE and soft product on CA's international 773ERs are actually quite good even in Y from my experience. Really just kind of wanted to finally try out the 787 since a lot of the initial teething seems to be smoothing out.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Very few domestic flights in Shanghai fly out of PVG. Most fly out of Shanghai Hongqiao Airport, code SHA. If you want to fly via PVG, you may have to change airports in Shanghai. Note that getting between the two airports would require several hours and likely an overnight.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Yes, CA has one flight per day as does SZ (also *A), both from PVG to KMG.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Thanks! This would explain it, though not why this routing won't show up as a revenue flight, unless the overnight in PVG is just considered too long by the website for a layover. Just out of curiosity, how did you come up with the Y award inventory for this flight for the whole month? Since it doesn't even show up for me I haven't even been able to see what the inventory looks like for the month.
You can use the ANA tool to search for 7-day availability on direct routes. I just scrolled through 4 weeks for all of July, and there's no C, and only 1 Y on 7/9 for LAX-PVG.

As for why UA.bomb is showing an error, I'm not sure, because even awards you can do <23h layovers.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:52 pm

Yes, CA has one flight per day as does SZ (also *A), both from PVG to KMG.
I think you mean ZH for shenzhen airlines (SZ turns up a british airline that's out of service and china southwest airlines that merged with CA). It could be that those flights aren't codeshared and/or aren't available to partners as either cash or award flights
Old Apr 28, 2014, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveman518
I think you mean ZH for shenzhen airlines (SZ turns up a british airline that's out of service and china southwest airlines that merged with CA). It could be that those flights aren't codeshared and/or aren't available to partners as either cash or award flights
Thanks, yes I meant ZH. Indeed maybe you're right, these flights aren't shared with *A partners, although that seems odd considering the amount of inbound international traffic into PVG and the need for domestic connections.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by hirohito888

As for why UA.bomb is showing an error, I'm not sure, because even awards you can do <23h layovers.
Actually is =<24 hrs.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:22 pm

Thanks, yes I meant ZH. Indeed maybe you're right, these flights aren't shared with *A partners, although that seems odd considering the amount of inbound international traffic into PVG and the need for domestic connections.
MU (and CZ to a lesser extent) (both ST) have a fair number of domestic flights out of PVG, if that's an option for you. CA dominates PEK in a similar fashion
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sannmann
Very few domestic flights in Shanghai fly out of PVG. Most fly out of Shanghai Hongqiao Airport, code SHA. If you want to fly via PVG, you may have to change airports in Shanghai. Note that getting between the two airports would require several hours and likely an overnight.
Lots of domestic flying out of Pudong. Most flights from Shanghai to the Northeast of China and many flights to the Southwest of China leave out of Pudong rather than Hongqiao. Not sure why this is, but it is what it is.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 2:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Chinese airlines don't really have hubs in the Western sense of the concept because connections are to be avoided at all costs over here (one horribly delayed flight is better than two, and most airfares intra-China are additive... though this is changing a little bit), but CA has been building steadily building its presence at both PVG and SHA ever since FM left *A.

Changing topics slightly, CX/KA and KE are the best options between LAX and KMG imo. They save you from the horrible PEK/PVG transfer and are not UA.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 2:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
and most airfares intra-China are additive
There are mostly additive when booking on Chinese sites like ctrip or elong.
If booked via a Western site, the prices follow some very weird rules and are quite pricey.

I would recommend to spend a night in Shanghai and then have a seperate booking Shanghai - Kunming. You could book on ceair.com (Eastern Airlines), they run a shuttle-like service between Shanghai Hongqiao and Kunming.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Changing topics slightly, CX/KA and KE are the best options between LAX and KMG imo. They save you from the horrible PEK/PVG transfer and are not UA.
Yes, but they also aren't *A, which doesn't really get me anywhere using UA miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.