Change in international upgrades?

Old Apr 28, 14, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold

This might be wishful thinking, but has there been any change in the upgrade policy on international flights?

Let me give some background - I was flying coach from the EU to EWR last week. Coach was full and biz 1st was 2/3rds full (per the flight status). About 45 minutes before departure, me and 14 other elites were upgraded all at once. Further, when I looked at the coach cabin mid-flight, there were a bunch of seats open. Has this happened to anyone? Is this a change in policy allowing CPU's on international flights?

Obviously very grateful for the upgrade but just curious if we are seeing a change.
Old Apr 28, 14, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Let's be very clear on this:

You were not upgraded. You were the recipient of the "op-up". Tons of threads on the nuanced difference.

It is odd that there were empty coach seats -and perhaps you were "op-up"'ed in anticipation of a full flight/cargo/broken seats?

Last edited by aacharya; Apr 28, 14 at 2:36 pm
Old Apr 28, 14, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
Ok, that makes sense. Happy for the op-up, hoping it's more than a one time event!
Old Apr 28, 14, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k

possibly weight and balance.

I've been pulled from econ and sat in bus while taxiing at IAD on a flight to LHR along with five others. A bit of cargo was loaded late and they needed more weight towards the sharp end to compensate.
Old Apr 28, 14, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA GS / MM
Has it ever happened that pax are pulled from biz to econ for weight balance? Just asking...
Old Apr 28, 14, 3:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by GS8101 View Post
Has it ever happened that pax are pulled from biz to econ for weight balance? Just asking...
while possible it is only an issue at takeoff.
Old Apr 28, 14, 3:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
I have only seen this on ex-Con. Flights.

Lots of empty seat is BF on flights from TLV and FRA to EWR recently. 1K's were all op up to BF.
Old Apr 28, 14, 3:58 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by GS8101 View Post
Happened to a friend of mine on a flight to SYD a few years ago, though I believe he got the SWU back as well as some compensation.
Old Apr 28, 14, 4:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by glasnost7 View Post
Happened to a friend of mine on a flight to SYD a few years ago, though I believe he got the SWU back as well as some compensation.
If the downgrade is for the full flight (which usually is not true for W&B) then see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ation-etc.html

Search this Thread
Search Engine: