Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is wifi not delivered with the 787s?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2014, 5:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Why is wifi not delivered with the 787s?

Since the dreamliners are still being delivered, wouldn't it make sense to have the wifi installed at the factory instead of having to take the planes out of service some time later to do a wifi mod?
Old Apr 27, 2014, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That's not a factory option
Old Apr 27, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

Wifi friendly!... In 2020 maybe
Old Apr 27, 2014, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's not a factory option
As of the first UA 787-9 deliveries it will be. Boeing only very recently approved the option from Panasonic to be line-fit on the birds. The previously delivered 787-8s will be retrofit as well.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 8:06 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by sbm12
As of the first UA 787-9 deliveries it will be. Boeing only very recently approved the option from Panasonic to be line-fit on the birds. The previously delivered 787-8s will be retrofit as well.
That's good to know ^ will be a very welcome addition should I find myself on LAX-MEL.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Does the same apply to 737's? On Thurs I flew a brand, spankin' new one and the FA said they wanted to get it into service so fast that they didn't have time to install wifi yet...
Old Feb 9, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by azzurro
Does the same apply to 737's? On Thurs I flew a brand, spankin' new one and the FA said they wanted to get it into service so fast that they didn't have time to install wifi yet...
Possibly, or it was waiting for an opening at the installation location, so they figured they would use it rather than have it sit idle.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by azzurro
the FA said they wanted to get it into service so fast that they didn't have time to install wifi yet...
That's one way to spin it. It's also possible they don't give a you know what.

Delta and American don't seem to have much of a problem getting their new planes into service with amenities loaded.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Factory installs must cost more than bringing each plane to Best Buy
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by channa
Delta and American don't seem to have much of a problem getting their new planes into service with amenities loaded.
Neither does UA these days. You're replying to a 10 month old post there.
Originally Posted by Madone59
Factory installs must cost more than bringing each plane to Best Buy
It is not possible to get these wifi kits installed at the factory; Boeing simply doesn't do it. All of the connectivity vendors are working to get line-fit certified by Boeing but it is a long, complicated process and won't happen for the current 737 lines.

For the 787s the Panasonic kit is now available as a line-fit option and UA is taking delivery with that system installed.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
don't let facts get in the way of an anti-UA tirade
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Neither does UA these days.
Really?

I was on a brand new 739 the other day, and there were no TVs like DL's and AA's have.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Nope - I was on a year+ old 739 last week that was dark nose-to-tail - no DTV, no wifi streaming, no wifi internet.

UA is pushing planes into service for more than a year with no entertainment amenities.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by mduell
Nope - I was on a year+ old 739 last week that was dark nose-to-tail - no DTV, no wifi streaming, no wifi internet.

UA is pushing planes into service for more than a year with no entertainment amenities.
Meditation. Friendly.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by channa
I was on a brand new 739 the other day, and there were no TVs like DL's and AA's have.
And it will not get those. But it should have been inducted at SEA and immediately flown to INT where it got the wifi kit installed and then really entered service. You might not like which systems are installed as part of the configuration but they are no longer entering passenger service without being configured to the company's spec.
Originally Posted by mduell

The new deliveries taken today are fitted before flying passengers. Ones from a year ago were not. I thought I made that pretty clear in my previous post vis a vis the "10 month old post" bit.

And, FWIW, the fleet tracking site suggests we're down to only three 739s without wifi installed. That should be finished pretty quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.