The United Airlines of a different era

Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver, CX SL, SPG Gold
The United Airlines of a different era

Stumbled upon this movie on Youtube which follows a United flight from New York to San Francisco in 1959. How things have changed!

Its a pity that air travel in the US has devolved into the lowest common denominator for every aspect and United today is leading this race to the bottom.

Shows you how dangerous it can be to have an inept management team running the show.

Here's the vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V886TJn-cQU
Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by hkgflyer
Stumbled upon this movie on Youtube which follows a United flight from New York to San Francisco in 1959. How things have changed!

Its a pity that air travel in the US has devolved into the lowest common denominator for every aspect and United today is leading this race to the bottom.

Shows you how dangerous it can be to have an inept management team running the show.

Here's the vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V886TJn-cQU
Nice video thanks for sharing! But let's not also forget that airlines during those days were very different then airlines today. Back in those days people would dress up in their best clothes to fly, you had quality restaurant style meals, some planes had lounges and people would pay lots of money to fly. Now a days it's all about getting the cheapest fare, having microwaveable style meals, trying to your destination the quickest way possible etc. Of course I'm only 32 so this information is from browsing around the internet about airlines of the past, what it was like to fly in the early days etc.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Plat
This article has a TWA price list for one-way flights in 1955 (couldn't find UA). Multiply by 8.8 to adjust for inflation: $668 of today's dollars for a one-way flight from San Francisco to Chicago.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: United 1K
I don't think I'd say United First meals compete with the best restaurants - as they did back then!
Old Apr 27, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by staeiou
This article has a TWA price list for one-way flights in 1955 (couldn't find UA).
Under CAB I think they'd be the same.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
This article has a TWA price list for one-way flights in 1955 (couldn't find UA). Multiply by 8.8 to adjust for inflation: $668 of today's dollars for a one-way flight from San Francisco to Chicago.
I would argue that the 1955 fares were actually cheaper, because they should be compared to today's first class fares, rather than today's coach fares. Some might argue that the service was superior to today's first class.

As recently as the 90s, I remember getting an excellent dinner in Y from SEA to SFO. Now you get nothing in 1st class even.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
And weren't the TATL NY to London flights (in today's $) like $3400 r/t for Economy? Granted then Y was lounge access, lounge on the plane, food etc but of course a much different seat. So in a way you can buy BF for that have the same amenities as the glory days but with a lie flat seat.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Consumers are simply price sensitive. The use of the internet has definitely caused this, and the low fare searches like travelocity and expedia only exasperated this. The lowest fare always shows up first, even if the timing sucks. (Which causes a whole set of issues on its own, which is for another thread.) Premium airlines just haven't been able to survive. Midwest Express, Eos, MaxJet, and Silverjet all were "premium" carriers that all failed for various reasons.

Not to split hairs, but it would be about $600. (http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc....955&year2=2014)
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
  • The seats in F are surprisingly-thin
  • I forgot how dirty the exhaust was from planes of that era (16:24 in)
  • No headsets for the cockpit crew
  • Wonder if boarding is faster using two sets of stairs rather than one jetway
  • Tray tables much better-designed for laptops back then
  • People were thinner (but how? Look at 19:20 food display!)
  • Largest "United" logo is on top of the wing. Who's gonna see it?
  • Love the high-tech simulator's ground view technology!
  • Air vents below the nose of the DC8. Never noticed that before. Probably all planes have 'em but they're not so obvious?
  • "It only seems that we are growing. All of us together." 22:20, humorously out of context
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Midwest Express, Eos, MaxJet, and Silverjet all were "premium" carriers that all failed for various reasons.
Man, I miss those guys and gals! Mimosas on early morning flights for all (all C configuration as I recall). They took a lot of my business away from UA when they existed. They certainly would again.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:58 pm

Remember up till the late 80s...Y was Y...there was no upgrades.

The FC cabin was filled with full fares FC and non revs.
Wonderful foods yes, but I still remember to fly UA FC LAX NRT, I took off the armrest in between 2 seats so I could lean against to wall to sleep.
15" monitors, noise canceling head sets, AVOD, FF miles...trump all the foods.
IMHO. ^
Old Apr 27, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by AA2MM
Wonderful foods yes, but I still remember to fly UA FC LAX NRT, I took off the armrest in between 2 seats so I could lean against to wall to sleep.
Probably zero debate that the int'l hard product on offer today is vastly superior to that of only a few years ago. Heck, I had a hard time getting any sleep in the old UA C sleds. And although I wish the food, the wine, and the spirits available were of much, much higher quality in return for the $10k I routinely fork over, I wouldn't part with the lie-flat for anything.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by hkgflyer
Thanks for this. I almost got teary-eyed.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA GS
Beats the $3500 UA wants for a return coach ticket YYC-IAH week after next.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
There was little FC about the DC8 in 1959. Turbojets were incredibly loud and were quickly replaced by turbo fans. They sure were smoky weren't they??

Those fares below were ONE-WAY fares btw.

Air travel is a lot safer now than back then, for a host of reasons.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.