Wiki Posts
Search

Let's Eat - EWR Terminal C

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2014, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Let's Eat - EWR Terminal C

My wife and I will be flying EWR MSY in May in F and based on the "Let's Eat Domestic First," thread, it sounds like things are just getting worse, and we may not want to count on that for a full dinner.

When we land in MSY we won't have any access to food until the next morning when we pick up the rental car, so the plane is our last access point for sustenance for the night (7:11pm departure).

We usually arrive at the airport extremely early, since you can't count on Amtrak to be on time, and the EWR monorail shutting down makes things even more complicated, so we will probably be at the airport by about 5:00pm, if not earlier.

Are there any favorite spots in Terminal C to get a good meal without breaking the bank? Suggestions please?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 4:15 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Vino volo is my usual go-to.

Smashburger if you want a decent burger.

Gallagher's if you want to overpay for a steak.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 5:25 am

A good spot for an inexpensive sit-down meal is the Garden State Diner near gate 75. Try to get a booth if you want to hang out for a while.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:03 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
The bugs all over Grand Central Oyster Bar are nice for giving you that rustic, by the water (in Newark) feel.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:04 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I had a cheesesteak and fries at the food court near Gate 75 last night and it wasn't bad. It certainly was a lot of food... I didn't feel like wandering the different piers of the terminals to forage so went with something that was close to my gate.

I came straight from work and use a Fly Emirates lanyard for my security badges. The counter person taking my order gave me a 10% airport employee discount.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Agree on vino Volo - good wine and decent pasta...
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
I like the wine at Vino Volo, but have always found the food pretty disappointing. Garden State Diner isn't bad. My usual go to if I'm in a bit more of a rush is Balducci's.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by milesmuncher
My usual go to if I'm in a bit more of a rush is Balducci's.
+1 to this - good for in a rush, or if on a non-int'l mealtime flight where I know I'm going to get some garbage food in F...gotta supplement!
Old Apr 26, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I flew EWR-MSY on the flight around 1pm and it looked like F was a wrap or cold salad so eat at EWR. We left from the gates where the food court below the UC is and went to a Caliente Cab. They have some appetizer sampler and other small dishes too. If not Garden State Diner if you're in that section and don't want "Mexican". If you're in the far section then ya the Vino place is decent.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingnosh
A good spot for an inexpensive sit-down meal is the Garden State Diner near gate 75. Try to get a booth if you want to hang out for a while.
This sounds like a hit. A booth would be a great place to hang out for an hour and a half or so. IIRC, there is a Ruby's Diner in C2 about halfway down. If our decision has nothing to do with our departing gate, which one gets more stars?

Originally Posted by glx
The bugs all over Grand Central Oyster Bar are nice for giving you that rustic, by the water (in Newark) feel.
Where is this? How is the comfort level for relaxing? How about a window view? How are the prices? We are trying to keep it somewhat reasonable.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by phkc070408

Where is this? How is the comfort level for relaxing? How about a window view? How are the prices? We are trying to keep it somewhat reasonable.
It's right as you enter the section where Gate 70-71 start. Security dumps out right in front of it…not so much ambiance and I don't know about windows but I think it looks out to pretty much squat.

GSD may be a bit too hustle and bustle it can get pretty busy and it's really bright.

Maybe check out Caliente Cab if you are in that area between 80/74/90 below the UC…times I've been in there never a lot of people, have some booths that sit semi-inside and there is also some seats behind the bar. I think they'd be more inclined to let you linger since they serve booze.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Vino volo is my usual go-to.

Smashburger if you want a decent burger.

Gallagher's if you want to overpay for a steak.
Gallagher's has good burger's. I think they're about $16 which is certainly steep but they're quite good.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Caliente's booze is good and appetizers OK.

Crumbs has good cupcakes.

I'd put Garden State Diner over Ruby's (especially for breakfast)...haven't had the desserts at GSD but they look delicious in their cooler. Neither have exterior views.

There is a good build-your-own salad/sandwich spot next to Caliente Cab. It's surrounded by McDonalds, Ben and Jerry's, Dunkin Donuts and the cheesesteak spot. Be aware that this grouping has no runway view.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the ideas. I think our list is:

1. Garden State Diner
2. The Clam Bar
3. Ruby's (as a backup).

Feel free to keep the thread going though.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
i never have the time to get anything other than something from the food court joints; out of those smashburger is very good. their breakfast sandwiches are excellent. i normally like auntie anne's pretzels, but the one next to smashburger is consistently bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.