Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately) Aug 2019

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25020401-post50.html

Mileage reinstatement from qualifying activities:

Missing mileage for partners must be requested through the United Airlines partner directly (visit www.united.com/retrocredit and select the "Non-airline partners" section). All requests need to be made within 12 months of the date of the qualifying activity. This could be flights or hotel stay or rental car credit that has not yet been posted. If the date was prior to expiration that should reinstate the expired miles.

Other mechanisms of mileage reinstatement:

United Airline's mileage expiration policy requires that accounts have qualifying activity at least once every 18 months to keep miles from expiring.

Here are some options to have miles reinstated (max look back is 18 months):
="1"%Check https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

Buy Back your miles You can buy back your miles online. The cost varies depending on the amount of miles being reinstated.

Register and fly - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then complete qualifying roundtrip travel on United or United Express You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and complete travel within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable.

Register and use a MileagePlus Visa - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then use a new or existing MileagePlus Visa card to make a purchase. You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and use your card within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable. To apply for a MileagePlus Visa, visit the United Airlines Credit Card page.

To participate in either the Register and fly or Register and use a MileagePlus Visa mileage re-instatement promotions, please call the MileagePlus Service Center or [check [url]https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

8/9/16: There is a promotional offer where the Register and Fly/User a CC option is $100. Not sure how long it will last (still valid Nov 2018)

Print Wikipost

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:35 pm

I forgot to check on my mom's miles and 74k expired back in 2/1/2017. Whoops. United is offering their reinstate program for $100 and open a MP card. What qualifies as the MPE card? They probably know because she only got a 40k offer for the personal MP card instead of the 50k. Is that worth it over paying the $250? Someone recommend opening the business version but I don't know if that counts (I couldn't find fine print listing what was considering opening a MP card).
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by psychoidiot
I forgot to check on my mom's miles and 74k expired back in 2/1/2017. Whoops. United is offering their reinstate program for $100 and open a MP card. They probably know because she only got a 40k offer for the personal MP card instead of the 50k. ...
Doubt the systems are that smart.
40K miles is the standard offer today, it has been 50K or even higher in the past but it does regularly change.

Is that worth it over paying the $250? ...
$250 vs $100 and get 40K bonus -- no sure I see much to think about

What qualifies as the MPE card? ...
Are you asking about the regular vs business version?
The Business Card does have a higher 50K mile bonus and another 10K miles for$3000 spend but the personal card as 2 UC passes annually

Someone recommend opening the business version but I don't know if that counts (I couldn't find fine print listing what was considering opening a MP card).
Can't answer this, but believe the offer is probably pretty specific -- but ask
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
I forgot to check on my mom's miles and 74k expired back in 2/1/2017. Whoops. United is offering their reinstate program for $100 and open a MP card. What qualifies as the MPE card? They probably know because she only got a 40k offer for the personal MP card instead of the 50k. Is that worth it over paying the $250? Someone recommend opening the business version but I don't know if that counts (I couldn't find fine print listing what was considering opening a MP card).
Are you referring to Mileage Plus Explorer card? If you log into your mother's MP account, 40K bonus will change to 50K bonus. First year annual fee is waived. You can cancel this card at the end of first year. $100 reinstatement fee and 74K+50K miles is a no brainer. That is almost 5 domestic saver awards.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Are you referring to Mileage Plus Explorer card? If you log into your mother's MP account, 40K bonus will change to 50K bonus. First year annual fee is waived. You can cancel this card at the end of first year. $100 reinstatement fee and 74K+50K miles is a no brainer. That is almost 5 domestic saver awards.
I signed in as her, it states specifically 40k (well I get 40k too, but at least previously I have seen the 50k for myself). Well I guess it's the potential of getting a better MP offer versus current offer of 40k. Going through the reinstate challenge link UA offers takes her to a 40k only link. On her login page, she sees the 40k + $100 statement credit.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:54 am

Need some advice here:
my united miles (30k) expired on 1/1/2018. The only activity I had was a hotel stay on 12/24/2016 at marriot.
But when i called marriot to request for mileage credit, they told me since I am not a marriot rewards member they can not do it. even if i joined marriot rewards today they wouldn't be able to credit me the miles for my stay.
Anyone who were successful reinstating expired united miles with hotel stays can give me some suggestions?

thanks
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by zaxon
Need some advice here:
my united miles (30k) expired on 1/1/2018. The only activity I had was a hotel stay on 12/24/2016 at marriot.
But when i called marriot to request for mileage credit, they told me since I am not a marriot rewards member they can not do it. even if i joined marriot rewards today they wouldn't be able to credit me the miles for my stay.
Anyone who were successful reinstating expired united miles with hotel stays can give me some suggestions?

thanks
How is Marriott stay has anything to do with United miles?
Are there a relationship between the two - how do u establish this relationship?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:38 am
T Q

Programs: HHonors/Marriott/Starwood/SWA Rapid Rewards
here's the scoop on getting united miles for hotel - not sure about getting them retro before even joining Marriott Rewards. But maybe if you did join Marriot rewards, you could call their corporate number and try to sweet talk them. I got miles retro for about 2 months back but was already a MR member. See link below for info on the miles for stays from mileage plus.
stays.https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...telandcar.aspx.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:09 pm

my miles expired, completely my fault. devastated.
I was distracted due to my father illness.(which is true)
I sent an e-mail to united explaining my situation and attached a note from my fathers doctor, stating his conditions.
few days later - miles reinstated for 18 months.
I love united
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ynot4free
... few days later - miles reinstated for 18 months. ...
Sorry to hear about your family's difficult times.

Thanks for sharing --- corporations can at times have a heart. ^
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:25 pm

Hi..

I have a small question, I had 60k expire in Nov.

I want to do the reinstate challenge.

It says on the main page
  • Successfully apply, get approved and make a purchase with a United MileagePlus credit card that was opened after payment of the registration fee
So I have to pay the fee first. But what happens if for some reason Chase does not approve my card?

But if I read the Terms and Conditions, it says the following and there is nothing that says that I have to get the card after paying the fee, it just says that make a purchase

Terms and Conditions

Reinstatement Challenge - Terms and Conditions

1. Registration for this offer must occur within 18 months from the date of expiration.
  2. Once the $100 non-refundable registration fee is processed, the member has 90 days to make a purchase with a United MileagePlus credit card from Chase or complete a paid qualifying roundtrip on United or United Express.
  3. Members who are not already the primary cardmember of a United MileagePlus credit card may apply online at united.com/creditcard. Only the primary cardmember of a United MileagePlus credit card can qualify for reactivation on credit card purchase activity.
  4. Authorized users of a current United MileagePlus credit card account are not eligible for this promotion.
  5. Flights must be operated by United or United Express and are not valid on United marketed code share flights operated by other carriers. Star Alliance flights are not eligible.
  6. You may reinstate a maximum of 750,000 miles for one account. Miles expired in excess of 750,000 are forfeited.
  7. Miles earned from credit card purchases or flights must be posted to the members' MileagePlus account to qualify.
  8. Allow 2-3 weeks from the qualifying posting for your expired miles to be reactivated.
  9. The reactivated miles do not count toward premier qualifying status.
  10. Reactivated miles will be posted only to the MileagePlus account from which they expired.
  11. Miles accrued, awards and benefits issued are subject to change and are subject to the rules of the United MileagePlus program, including without limitation the Premier program (the "MileagePlus Program"), which are expressly incorporated herein.
  12. Other restrictions may apply. United and MileagePlus are registered service marks. For complete details about the MileagePlus program, visit united.com.

Is it ok for me to apply for the card and then pay the $100 fee and hen make the purchase?

thanks
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by allmail
Is it ok for me to apply for the card and then pay the $100 fee and then make the purchase? ....
The statement " Members who are not already the primary cardmember of a United MileagePlus credit card may apply online at united.com/creditcard. " seem to clearly allow for pre-existing accounts.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:37 pm

nope I just read the T&C for program and it says accounts opened after paying the fee...better know your 5/24 status before applying or waste a non refundable fee if you go that route...the language country quoted above seems to be for AU...encouraging them to apply for their own
Old May 1, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
My son is a minor and has 65K miles expired back in Feb. Totally my fault for not keeping better track.

I am considering the "register and fly" option. My question is does the flight have to be RT? We have an upcoming SNA-DEN-BZN and FCA-DEN-LAX flights. I purchased the flight before knowing the miles had expired.
Old May 14, 2018, 3:12 pm

Location: CTU/TFU(Chengdu, Sichuan, China) - MIG (Mianyang, Sichuan, China) - EWR/JFK/LGA/HPN (Great New York City Metro Area, NY, USA) - HVN/BDL (New Haven/Hartford, CT, USA)
Programs: UA 1MM/F9 Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold; IHG Platinum; Choice Privileges Platinum
Do folks here know how long it will take for UA to post the expired miles once the request for reinstating miles is completed by paying the full service charge? My friend has about 40K miles expired early this year and he just paid $200 to reinstate these miles. The transaction has gone through (credit card was charged) but no where could he find when the miles are supposed to be posted. Maybe it will be 2-3 weeks from now according to the information above if you choose the way of challenge (which is 2-3 weeks from the posting of qualifying activities). Thanks!
Old May 15, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
My son is a minor and has 65K miles expired back in Feb. Totally my fault for not keeping better track.

I am considering the "register and fly" option. My question is does the flight have to be RT? We have an upcoming SNA-DEN-BZN and FCA-DEN-LAX flights. I purchased the flight before knowing the miles had expired.
Anyone has insight and/or experience on this?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.