Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately) Aug 2019

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25020401-post50.html

Mileage reinstatement from qualifying activities:

Missing mileage for partners must be requested through the United Airlines partner directly (visit www.united.com/retrocredit and select the "Non-airline partners" section). All requests need to be made within 12 months of the date of the qualifying activity. This could be flights or hotel stay or rental car credit that has not yet been posted. If the date was prior to expiration that should reinstate the expired miles.

Other mechanisms of mileage reinstatement:

United Airline's mileage expiration policy requires that accounts have qualifying activity at least once every 18 months to keep miles from expiring.

Here are some options to have miles reinstated (max look back is 18 months):
="1"%Check https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

Buy Back your miles – You can buy back your miles online. The cost varies depending on the amount of miles being reinstated.

Register and fly - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then complete qualifying roundtrip travel on United or United Express You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and complete travel within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable.

Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa® - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then use a new or existing MileagePlus Visa card to make a purchase. You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and use your card within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable. To apply for a MileagePlus Visa, visit the United Airlines Credit Card page.

To participate in either the “Register and fly” or “Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa®” mileage re-instatement promotions, please call the MileagePlus Service Center or [check [url]https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

8/9/16: There is a promotional offer where the Register and Fly/User a CC option is $100. Not sure how long it will last (still valid Nov 2018)

Print Wikipost

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 6:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gmid2006
Can anyone tell me if the $500 fee plus applying for United credit card is still valid to have your expired miles reinstated?
The flight challenge or the credit card offer has been around for a number of years. There are posts from March 2016 referring to the offer being available. When you check, you can update the community if it is still available.

There is a time limit on most of these offers -- something like going back 12 or 18 months max.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: United....American....Jet Blu.... Radisson....Marriott
Question United mileage

I intended to use my United miles yesterday but was informed my 85,000 miles expired last month.
Any suggestions?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Take a look at this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...5-forward.html
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
It'll cost you but here you go https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...BackTerms3.jsp
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, negrildon

Originally Posted by negrildon
I intended to use my United miles yesterday but was informed my 85,000 miles expired last month.
Any suggestions?
This thread's wiki has a number of approaches to restore miles. They break into two groups
-- find a missing item (flight, rental, ...) prior to expiration to credit -- this is effectively free or
-- pay UA to restore the miles (a couple different programs)
Old Aug 7, 2016, 2:48 pm

I recently booked two flights in Economy class.

For a flight from Newark (EWR) to Milan (MXP) I received 350 base miles, 4010 premier qualification miles and $70 premier qualification dollars.

For a flight from Barcelona (BCN) to Newark (EWR) I received 2465 base miles, 3848 premier qualification miles and $493 premier qualification dollars.

Those two flights represent my entire current balance which now consists of 2815 base miles, 7858 premier qualification miles and $563 premier qualification dollars.

I used to have 22,983 base miles which expired less than 18 months ago. UAL is offering me a 25% discount to reinstate the miles for which they will charge me $131.25 if I reinstate prior to September 16, 2016.

1. Under what circumstances, if any, is it worth it to me to reinstate those 22,983 base miles? I am retired and I fly exclusively for leisure, not business.

2. Can anyone explain (or send me to the postings which explain) how my travel was apportioned between base miles, PQM and PQD and what all of this means?

Thank you.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by stususs
I recently booked two flights in Economy class.

For a flight from Newark (EWR) to Milan (MXP) I received 350 base miles, 4010 premier qualification miles and $70 premier qualification dollars.

For a flight from Barcelona (BCN) to Newark (EWR) I received 2465 base miles, 3848 premier qualification miles and $493 premier qualification dollars.

Those two flights represent my entire current balance which now consists of 2815 base miles, 7858 premier qualification miles and $563 premier qualification dollars.

2. Can anyone explain (or send me to the postings which explain) how my travel was apportioned between base miles, PQM and PQD and what all of this means?

Thank you.
from http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-glossary.html
Award / RDM: ReDeemable Miles - Miles that count toward award tickets and upgrades. The number of RDMs has no impact on status qualification.
PQM: Premier Qualifying Miles - Miles that count toward qualifying for status in the MP program. PQMs are not redeemable for award travel. They are based on miles flown.
PQS: Premier Qualifying Segments - Segments that count toward qualifying for status in the MP program. PQS are not redeemable for award travel.
PQD: Premier Qualifying Dollars - Dollars spent on travel that count toward qualifying for status in the MP program. In simple terms, this metric includes base airfare, E+ access purchases and carrier surcharges - does not include taxes and most "extra fees." PQDs are on calculated for members with a U.S. mailing and are not redeemable for award travel. PQDs started in 2014.
Appears you have a highly discounted economy ticket. For non-elites, you get 5 (base) award miles / RDMs for each $ of PQD.

The differences on PQMs is due the slight difference in actual airlines of the two trips.

The RDM/PQD split is harder to explain and individually are not that important. The total trip RDM/PQDs is what matters and if it agrees with the ticket, it is what it is. This method is relatively new and if you want the gory details , see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-distance.html

... I used to have 22,983 base miles which expired less than 18 months ago. UAL is offering me a 25% discount to reinstate the miles for which they will charge me $131.25 if I reinstate prior to September 16, 2016.

1. Under what circumstances, if any, is it worth it to me to reinstate those 22,983 base miles? I am retired and I fly exclusively for leisure, not business. ...
This is always a personal circumstances decisions.

Nearly 23K award miles is nearly enoungh (25K needed) for a saver economy roundtrip in the USA (ex Hawaii) and Canada . If this is something you would use, is it worth the fee?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 4:07 pm

Thank you for the explanations.

Would I be able to combine the 22983 miles that I would reinstate with my current balance of 2815 base miles to reach the 25000 mile level for a USA/Canada savers award?

In addition to the $131.25 mileage reinstatement fee, would I be subject to any other booking fees or taxes on the award ticket?

Is there anything else I need to know?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 5:05 pm

... Would I be able to combine the 22983 miles that I would reinstate with my current balance of 2815 base miles to reach the 25000 mile level for a USA/Canada savers award? ...
yes

...In addition to the $131.25 mileage reinstatement fee, would I be subject to any other booking fees or taxes on the award ticket? ...
Booking fees are just like cash tickets -- free online and for non-elites a fee for phone agents.

As far as taxes, some but minor for North America -- $10-$15 roundtrips, a bit more for Canada

See Award ticketing options/service fees for more details or http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...5-forward.html

Some award changes in the works for bookings post 6 Oct 2016, generally favorable for non-elites
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-changes.html

...Is there anything else I need to know?
There is lots to learn, that is what FT is here for.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:03 pm

Upon calling, there seems to be a promotional offer for reinstating expired miles for $100. (Yes, I know, I let them expire)

I registered, here is the email:

Thank you for registering for this special United offer.
Your registration has been received and processed for MileagePlus
account number xxxxxxxx. This purchase in the amount of $100.00
will be reflected on your credit card statement with the item description
"UAL*MILEAGE PLUS MILES". You may reinstate a maximum of 750,000 miles
for one account. Miles expired in excess of 750,000 are forfeited.

Remember to make a purchase with a United MileagePlus credit card or
complete a paid qualifying roundtrip flight operated by United or United
Express and earn the appropriate miles within 90 days to regain your miles
Miles earned from credit card purchases or flights must be posted to the
MileagePlus account listed above to qualify.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by vrbaba
Upon calling, there seems to be a promotional offer for reinstating expired miles for $100. (Yes, I know, I let them expire)

I registered, here is the email:
Thank you for registering for this special United offer.
Your registration has been received and processed for MileagePlus
account number xxxxxxxx. This purchase in the amount of $100.00
will be reflected on your credit card statement with the item description
"UAL*MILEAGE PLUS MILES". You may reinstate a maximum of 750,000 miles
for one account. Miles expired in excess of 750,000 are forfeited.

Remember to make a purchase with a United MileagePlus credit card or
complete a paid qualifying roundtrip flight operated by United or United
Express and earn the appropriate miles within 90 days to regain your miles.
Miles earned from credit card purchases or flights must be posted to the
MileagePlus account listed above to qualify.
In essence, it is a two part process:

1. Pay $100
2a. Make a purchase with a United MileagePlus credit card or
2b. Complete a paid qualifying roundtrip flight operated by United or United
Express and earn the appropriate miles within 90 days to regain your miles

Additionally, miles earned from credit card purchases or flights must be posted to the MileagePlus account listed above to qualify.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:20 am

expired miles

I live in Israel and usually fly TLV-Newark about once or twice a year. For the past almost 2 years I was taking care of my elderly parents who had serious health issues and couldn't fly. Without noticing (my monthly statements were being sent to an old email address), 119,151 miles that I had accrued expired -almost 18 months ago. I was told that if I pay $100 and then fly within 90 days, I can get the miles back. I've written and called United several times and still can't get answers to the following questions: (1) Do I have to purchase the ticket that I use within that 90 days, or can I use the returned miles to order the ticket? (2) What happens if I don't use the full 119,151 miles? (3) Can I do this online? (I only see a link to purchase the miles. Can anyone tell me if there is another, less expensive way to get already expired miles back? Thank you.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:49 am

Welcome to FT!, Karenpersonal

Have moved your post into a thread on the topic. At the top there is a "wiki" that you can open which provides a summary of the topic.

Miles expire after 18 months of no account activity, there are some way for the future to prevent this from happening again, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...5-forward.html. If you are eligible for a USA credit card, it is a good way to prevent expiration and it is an alternative method to get the miles reinstated without flying.

Originally Posted by Karenpersonal
I live in Israel and usually fly TLV-Newark about once or twice a year. For the past almost 2 years I was taking care of my elderly parents who had serious health issues and couldn't fly. Without noticing (my monthly statements were being sent to an old email address), 119,151 miles that I had accrued expired -almost 18 months ago. I was told that if I pay $100 and then fly within 90 days, I can get the miles back. I've written and called United several times and still can't get answers to the following questions: (1) Do I have to purchase the ticket that I use within that 90 days, or can I use the returned miles to order the ticket? ..
The "fly within 90 days" has to be a paid ticket and has to be flown.

... (2) What happens if I don't use the full 119,151 miles? (3) Can I do this online? (I only see a link to purchase the miles. ...
The mile once reinstated will have an 18 month life (unless you get a credit card, then they never expire while you have the card).

..(3) Can I do this online? (I only see a link to purchase the miles. ...
You will need to do this with a phone agent from the MileagePlus Service Center to make sure you are properly registered for the re-instatement. See the wiki posting for details.

Can anyone tell me if there is another, less expensive way to get already expired miles back? ...
The three main ways are
-- Paid a fee, this in your case will be $600?
-- The $100 and purchased flight will depend where you are located. If in Israel, this will be pricey to purchase and fly a UA operated flight.
-- The $100 and obtain a Chase MP credit card may be the cheapest BUT it requires you are eligible to obtain a USA based card. You need to have a USA social Security number or tax id -- have you every worked in the USA?
Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
I live in Israel and usually fly TLV-Newark about once or twice a year. For the past almost 2 years I was taking care of my elderly parents who had serious health issues and couldn't fly. Without noticing (my monthly statements were being sent to an old email address), 119,151 miles that I had accrued expired -almost 18 months ago. I was told that if I pay $100 and then fly within 90 days, I can get the miles back. I've written and called United several times and still can't get answers to the following questions: (2) What happens if I don't use the full 119,151 miles? (3) Can I do this online? (I only see a link to purchase the miles. Can anyone tell me if there is another, less expensive way to get already expired miles back? Thank you.
Welcome to FT. Sorry to hear about your predicament. According to vrbaba's thread:

(1) Do I have to purchase the ticket that I use within that 90 days, or can I use the returned miles to order the ticket?
1a. Remember to make a purchase with a United MileagePlus credit card or complete a paid qualifying roundtrip (not award) flight operated by United or United Express and earn the appropriate miles within 90 days to regain your miles. Miles earned from credit card purchases or flights must be posted to the MileagePlus account listed above to qualify.
1b. Once your expired miles are reinstated (pay $100 first and then complete your paid qualifying round trip flight 90 days from paying your $100 fee), you can do anything with your reinstated miles.

(2) What happens if I don't use the full 119,151 miles?
Unused 119,151 miles are good for 18 months from last account activity.

Can I do this online?
You should be able to.

Good luck and please let us know your result.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold, HH Silver
Mileage Expired - No Notification

I am a long time UA/CO customer (as in, back to the early 1990s; in 1993 I was 1K on united and had status many times over the years). Lately, because of a change in careers and some relatively significant money issues, I haven't flown much. I still had approx. 394k Mileage Plus miles. I logged on tonight to purchase (with $s) a flight to the west coast and saw that my miles expired on 8/1/2016. 24 days ago. I was never notified. I called Mileage Plus and was told that because my account had no activity for a month, UA's terms and conditions allow them to expire my miles with no notification. This seems like a truly crummy customer service policy to me. I would get it if I had been notified and hadn't taken any action (I admit to thinking I had 2 years w/ no activity, not 18 months, before expiration, but I also thought they would contact me). Has anyone else had any experience with this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.