Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flex vs Unrestricted / Fully Refundable fare. What is/is not refundable, translation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
During the COVID period, change fees are waived for many tickets
Sept 2020 - Change Fees Are Gone For Good
There won’t be any change fees if:
You’re traveling:
  • Within the U.S., including Alaska, Hawaii, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico
  • Between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean
  • To other international destinations from the U.S.
You have these types of tickets:
  • Economy
  • Economy Plus®
  • United First®
  • United Business®*
  • United Premium PlusSM*
You can change Basic Economy and all other international travel without change fees if the ticket is issued by March 31, 2021.
UA's definitions -- in red added editorial comments
Basic Economy (most restricted) ---- Our most restricted fare:Seat assigned prior to boarding
No group or family seating
No carry-on bag, just a personal item
Earn award miles only, no Premier® qualifying credit
Upgrades and Economy Plus® are not available
No refunds or changes

Economy ---- Our standard Economy fare:Seat selection at booking, if seats are available
Enjoy other options for customizing your travel
Non-refundable -- fee to change*, credit toward future flight

Economy (flexible) ---- Our flexible Economy fare:Refundable fare; cancellation and change* fees may apply
Seat selection at booking, if seats are available

Economy (unrestricted) ---- Our unrestricted Economy fare:Fully refundable fare; no cancellation or change fees
Seat selection at booking, if seats are available

First (lowest) ---- Our lowest fare in First:Personalized inflight service
More spacious seating and extra legroom
Expanded dining experience
Non-refundable -- a fee to change*, credit toward a future flight

First (unrestricted) ---- Our unrestricted First fare:Fully refundable fare; no cancellation or change fees.
Personalized inflight service
More spacious seating and extra legroom
Expanded dining experience
*Most change fees have been eliminated

Refundability
o Some tickets are refundable but with a change / cancellation fee
o In the fare rules, words like "CHANGES PERMITTED" or "CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED" indicate refundability

Note: For a ticket with multiple segments and different fares classes / fare rules, the most restrictive applies to the entire ticket. So a single non-refundable segment makes the entire ticket non-refundable.

related thread -- How to book a refundable ticket on UA

Print Wikipost

Flex vs Unrestricted / Fully Refundable fare. What is/is not refundable, translation?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:27 am

I booked a flexible/refundable ticket on United (I made sure of reading the fare rules, there are no penalties for cancellation and it says I can get a full refund to the original form of payment). This ticket was bought today, for a flight in 3 days at 6pm.

This is the first time I have bought such a ticket with United so I wanted to fully understand some rules:
- Can I cancel this fully refundable ticket after I have checked in for this flight?
- Can I cancel this fully refundable ticket after the flight has taken off without me on it, say cancel around 7pm? Or must I cancel before the scheduled departure time of 6pm? There's a chance I'll be too busy in a meeting to get to airport / call and cancel (which is why I booked this fully refundable ticket so I have the flexibility).
- Can I cancel from the United app or do I need to call in and wait on hold time (I have no elite status).
- This is an international flight, does that make any difference?

Basically any pitfalls or quirks I need to know - this was an expensive ticket for me, and the only reason I booked it is for the flexiblity to cancel if my plan changes, so I want to make sure I'm within all the rules of cancellation and getting a refund.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
I booked a flexible/refundable ticket on United (I made sure of reading the fare rules, there are no penalties for cancellation and it says I can get a full refund to the original form of payment). This ticket was bought today, for a flight in 3 days at 6pm.
It is good that you check this - while domestic fares are either fully flexible/refundable with no fees, or restricted, international fares can be many combinations of things. Assuming you do have a refundable ticket with neither change nor cancel fee:

- Can I cancel this fully refundable ticket after I have checked in for this flight?
Yes.

- Can I cancel this fully refundable ticket after the flight has taken off without me on it, say cancel around 7pm? Or must I cancel before the scheduled departure time of 6pm? There's a chance I'll be too busy in a meeting to get to airport / call and cancel (which is why I booked this fully refundable ticket so I have the flexibility).
Technically no, but the answer to what you meant to ask is yes. The ticket will be canceled by the gate agent when you do not board your flight. Unlike a traditional restricted fare, the value is not forfeit in this case; you can subsequently refund the ticket in full or use it toward other travel.

- Can I cancel from the United app or do I need to call in and wait on hold time (I have no elite status).
You can do it in the app.

- This is an international flight, does that make any difference?
You need to be very sure about what you purchased since there are international fares which search as "flexible" on the website which are refundable less a cancellation fee. Other than that, nothing really changes.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I have a flight that’s D outbound and Z return. Is the D fare portion refundable to credit card? I can’t find an answer with search. It seems that C/D/J are all considered full fare Business - that I found in the 2018 fare class wiki. I just couldn’t find out which classes are refundable.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
I have a flight that’s D outbound and Z return. Is the D fare portion refundable to credit card? I can’t find an answer with search. It seems that C/D/J are all considered full fare Business - that I found in the 2018 fare class wiki. I just couldn’t find out which classes are refundable.
You'll need to look at the fare rules, and the most restrictive rule always applies. So, if the Z is more restrictive than the D, it applies to the whole trip.

There is no universal mapping like what you're describing.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gaobest
I have a flight that’s D outbound and Z return. Is the D fare portion refundable to credit card? ....
Probably, but the only way to be sure is to consult the fare rules. If an UA 016 ticket that fare rules are accessable on the reservation scroll down a bit to find

And yes, if a single ticket, the most restrictive fare class rules.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 19, 2020 at 3:44 pm
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Using travel credits

So I have a few travel credits from cancelled flights I was suppose to take this month. I need to book SFO-MCO in Nov. I usually just book F class but was noticing that M class was just $30 cheaper than first class. I don't normally book this but am leaning towards it and want to confirm what I think I am doing. It is a Flexible Economy fare so refundable or just changeable with no change fee? And if I book M class, as a 1K, I believe I automatically get upgraded to a first class seat? Am I correct in this assumptions?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sierranevada
It is a Flexible Economy fare so refundable or just changeable with no change fee?
For domestic flights, flexible normally means refundable, but you should read the fare rules to see.

And if I book M class, as a 1K, I believe I automatically get upgraded to a first class seat? Am I correct in this assumptions?
Not quite. If there is PN space available, you will be offered the ability to upgrade after the reservation tickets. You are not automatically upgraded. Note that anyone from Silver to Platinum would need PZ space and would have to buy a B fare, not just an M fare.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So I have a few travel credits from cancelled flights I was suppose to take this month. I need to book SFO-MCO in Nov. I usually just book F class but was noticing that M class was just $30 cheaper than first class. I don't normally book this but am leaning towards it and want to confirm what I think I am doing. It is a Flexible Economy fare so refundable or just changeable with no change fee? ....
Flexible vs Unrestricted, means there is probably a change / cancellation fee. However, you need to read the fare rules to be 100% sure. And any other fare rules that are a part of the ticket. The M ticket is likely more flexible than the discount F ticket.

And if I book M class, as a 1K, I believe I automatically get upgraded to a first class seat? Am I correct in this assumptions?
Never automatic. If PN space exists, you will be offered the opportunity to request an upgrade. At the gate, you will be higher on the Upgrade Waitlist. For more see
Y/B/M Premier Instant Upgrade - How does it work?
Old Oct 13, 2020, 12:02 pm

Flexible Economy

Hello. I am looking for a fully refundable fare CLE - DEN, which I thought would be the Flexible Economy fare. But why does it say under the description "Refundable fare; cancellation and change fees may apply." If it is fully refundable, why would there potentially be cancellation or change fees? I called United, and the rep was very hesitant about what the policy was. Thanks.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GroverL
Hello. I am looking for a fully refundable fare CLE - DEN, which I thought would be the Flexible Economy fare. But why does it say under the description "Refundable fare; cancellation and change fees may apply." If it is fully refundable, why would there potentially be cancellation or change fees? I called United, and the rep was very hesitant about what the policy was. Thanks.
Flexible fares may have cancellation and change fees -- it depends upon the market. (In UA's parlance, 'flexible' means can be changed and/or refunded, but not necessarily free of charge). Domestically, every flexible fare I've ever seen has been fully refundable -- no fees for changes or refunds. However, your best bet is to read the fare rules. They will say, definitively, whether or not you will be able to get a free refund. You can find the fare rules on the itinerary confirmation page, prior to proceeding with seat selection and payment.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 12:14 pm

Thanks for your reply. I did try to read the fare rules as shown below, but even being a fairly intelligent person, I can't really determine the answer.

CANCELLATIONS BEFORE DEPARTURE CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED. NOTE - -- EXCHANGE - CHANGE TO 1ST TICKETED FLIGHT / WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET -- RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE REFUNDED OR APPLIED TOWARD PURCHASE OF NEW TICKET AT MOST CURRENT FARE LEVELS / EXCLUSIONS APPLY / ANY DIFFERENCE IN FARE / TAX IS COLLECTED/REFUNDED AT TIME OF TICKET EXCHANGE. -- TICKETS MUST BE REISSUED WHEN ANY VOLUNTARY CHANGE IS MADE. . 1. WHOLLY UNUSED TICKETS - CHANGES TO ORIGINATING FLIGHT - -- REPRICE USING CURRENT QUALIFYING FARES IN EFFECT TODAY. -- NO CHARGE OR HIGHEST FEE OF ONLY CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS. ONLY CHARGE ONE FEE FOR ONLY CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS IF CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS HAVE A FEE TO CHARGE. -- ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM REISSUE DATE TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT -- WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN FARE DIFFERENCE -- -- REFUND RESIDUAL VIA ORIGINAL FORM OF PAYMENT ADD-COLLECT FARE DIFFERENCE IF ANY // CHANGE FEE WHEN APPLICABLE -- AFTER DEPARTURE CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED. NOTE - --CALCULATE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FARE PAID AND QUALIFYING FARE FOR TRAVEL COMPLETE USING FARES OF ORIGINAL TICKET DATE / REFUND RESIDUAL VALUE IF ANY TO ORIGINAL FORM OF PAYMENT. NOTE - - TICKETS MUST BE REISSUED WHEN ANY VOLUNTARY CHANGE IS MADE. . ---- WHEN REFUNDABLE FARES ARE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS WITH PENALTY OR RESTRICTED FARES TO FORM A RT/CT/OJ ITINERARY THE MOST RESTRICTIVE PROVISIONS WILL APPLY. EXCEPTION - FARES COMBINED END-ON-END ON THE TICKET//IE FARES THAT COULD STAND ALONE IF ISSUED ON A SEPARATE TICKET// MAY BE CHANGED SEPARATELY. CHANGES BEFORE DEPARTURE CHANGES PERMITTED. NOTE - -- ------------------------------- -- BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY AND WITHIN TICKET VALIDITY CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVOSIONS MAY BE OVERRIDDEN BY THOSE OF UA INTERNATIONAL FARES. -- NO CHARGE -- OR HIGHEST FEE OF ONLY CHANGED FARE COMPONENT/S/ WITHIN JOURNEY. -- ONLY ONE FEE IS CHARGED FOR CHANGED FARE COMPONENT/S/ IF FARE RULE NOTES CHANGE FEE. -- DOWNLINE DATE CHANGE / FLIGHT CHANGE SAME BOOKING CODE / KEEP THE FARE -- REPRICE USING CURRENTLY TICKETED/HISTORICAL FARE-- PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET - -- 1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FLIGHT COUPON/FARE BREAKS 2. ALL TRAVEL REMAINS DOMESTIC 3. SAME UA FARE USED 4. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET 5. VALIDATE ADVANCE RES/TICKETING FROM ORIGINAL TICKET DATE TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT -- WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN FARE DIFFERENCE-- -- REFUND RESIDUAL VIA ORIGINAL FORM OF PAYMENT ADD-COLLECT FARE DIFFERENCE IF ANY / CHANGE FEE WHEN APPLICABLE -- -- FARE BREAKS PERMITTED -- A. CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS USE FARE IN EFFECT TODAY. B. ALL OTHERS USE CURRENTLY TKTD FARES. PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET - 1. ANY CARRIER FARES ARE USED 2. TRAVEL IS DOMESTIC 3. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET 4. ADVANCE RES IS MEASURED FROM NEW TKT ISSUED DATE IF CURRENT FARES/FROM PREVIOUS TKT ISSUE DATE IF HISTORICAL FARES TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT -- WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN FARE DIFFERENCE-- -- REFUND RESIDUAL VIA ORIGINAL FORM OF PAYMENT ADD-COLLECT FARE DIFFERENCE IF ANY // CHANGE FEE WHEN APPLICABLE -- AFTER DEPARTURE CHANGES PERMITTED. NOTE - -- AFTER DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY AND WITHIN TICKET VALIDITY CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE OVERRIDDEN BY THOSE OF UA INTERNATIONAL FARES. -- NO CHARGE -- OR HIGHEST FEE OF ANY CHANGED FARE COMPONENT WITHIN JOURNEY - --ONLY ONE CHANGE FEE CHARGED FOR CHANGED FARE COMPONENT/S/ ONLY IF FARE RULE NOTES A CHANGE FEE IS TO BE CHARGED FOR CHANGE. -- REPRICE USING CURRENLTY TICKETED / HISTORICAL FARES. DOWNLINE DATE / FLIGHT CHANGE SAME BOOKING CODE / KEEP THE FARE -- PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET- 1. NO CHANGE TO FARE BREAKS 2. ALL TRAVEL REMAINS DOMESTIC 3. FULLY FLOWN FARE NOT REPRICED TO FURTHER POINT 4. UA FARES ARE USED 5. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET 6. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT -- FARE BREAK CHANGE PERMITTED -- A. FULLY FLOWN FARE COMPONENTS USE FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED B. ALL OTHERS USE FARES IN EFFECT TODAY PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET- 1. NO CHANGE TO FARE BREAKS OF FULLY FLOWN FARE COMPONENTS 2. ALL TRAVEL REMAINS DOMESTIC 4. FULLY FLOWN FARE NOT REPRICED TO FURTHER POINT 5. UA FARES ARE USED 6. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET 7. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE IF CURRENT FARES ARE USED/FROM PREVIOUS TKT DATE IF HISTORICAL FARES TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT -- OR - -- FARE BREAK CHANGE PERMITTED -- A. CHANGED FARE COMPONENETS USE FARE IN EFFECT TODAY. B. ALL OTHERS USE CURRENTLY TKTD FARE. PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET- 1. NO CHANGE TO FARE BREAKS UP TO THE FIRST CHANGED FARE COMPONENT 2. ALL TRAVEL REMAINS DOMESTIC 3. FULLY FLOWN FARE NOT REPRICED TO FURTHER POINT 4. ANY CARRIER FARES ARE USED 5. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET 6. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM NEW TKT ISSUE DATE IF CURRENT FARES/FROM PREVIOUS TKT ISSUE DATE IF HISTORICAL FARES TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT 7. TKT REISSUE RESTRICTED TO UA OR ANY CARRIER -- -- WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN FARE DIFFERENCE -- -- REFUND RESIDUAL VIA ORIGINAL FORM OF PAYMENT ADD COLLECT FARE DIFFERENCE IF ANY // CHANGE FEE WHEN APPLICABLE --
Old Oct 13, 2020, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for your reply. I did try to read the fare rules as shown below, but even being a fairly intelligent person, I can't really determine the answer.
No problem. It's more a question of experience than intelligence.

CANCELLATIONS BEFORE DEPARTURE CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED.
This is all you need to know: there is no change for a refund. If there were, you'd find it here -- instead of saying "CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED," you'd see something like "CHARGE USD 300.00 FOR CANCEL/NO-SHOW/REFUND." In other words, this fare is what you want.

The rest of the rules say that, in addition to getting a refund, you could also make a change at no charge, and then it's covering the way in which the fare would be computed depending upon when you made the change.
SPN Lifer and findark like this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 12:39 pm

jsloan, thanks so much for your help. They sure do make it unnecessarily difficult.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 12:49 pm

...They sure do make it unnecessarily difficult.
Concerning fare rules, it is nice to have access, most carriers do not make them this accessible. But the reality these rules are written for computers to read, not humans -- and it is a developed skill (and awareness of the alternatives) to understand them.

But suspect your point is more, it would be nice to have a simple plan English summary
Old Jan 19, 2021, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
Is there any advantage now without the change fee in buying flexible vs regular economy ticket other than it can be refunded if the trip not taken? I am booking a multi-city ticket and wondering if it will be any more flexible in changing segments once I have taken the outbound, or is it now the same? Does it just depend on whether the class of service bucket is available? Do you have to pay a fare differential if the last-minute fare is higher (but the class of service is still there) with either ticket? I was able to change a flexible return ticket to two days earlier with no issues, even though the walk-up fare was higher, and wondered if i would have been able to do the same with regular ticket.
The phone agents don't even seem to know the difference for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.