FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Please help with route choice ORD-SIN in GF (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1571063-please-help-route-choice-ord-sin-gf.html)

txp Apr 22, 2014 7:59 am

Please help with route choice ORD-SIN in GF

Hi everyone,

I am considering the following two choices in Global First:

1/ ORD-NRT (B747), connecting to NRT-SIN (B777);

2/ ORD-HKG (B777), connecting to HKG-SIN (B777).

Could you please help me rank these two options. Here are some of the factors I am considering:
- seat comfort (B747 vs. B777),
- reliability (particularly the segment on the B747),
- availability of options for the second leg in case of missed connections.

Thank you!

jpc83 Apr 22, 2014 8:20 am

Originally Posted by txp (Post 22741499)
Hi everyone,

I am considering the following two choices in Global First:

1/ ORD-NRT (B747), connecting to NRT-SIN (B777);

2/ ORD-HKG (B777), connecting to HKG-SIN (B777).

Could you please help me rank these two options. Here are some of the factors I am considering:
- seat comfort (B747 vs. B777),
- reliability (particularly the segment on the B747),
- availability of options for the second leg in case of missed connections.

Thank you!

In Global First, the seats are identical, reliability should be fine, and you don't have to worry about connections. What would you rather fly, the front of the 777 or the bottom deck of the 747? I'd personally take option 1.

txflyer77 Apr 22, 2014 8:30 am

I'd personally choose the HKG connection. UA's 747s are delay-prone and I personally prefer to go from a long haul to a short haul rather than long to medium.

sannmann Apr 22, 2014 8:34 am

Please help with route choice ORD-SIN in GF

Go with the HKG option. The same aircraft that operates ORD-HKG also operates HKG-SIN. You'll be covered in case of IRROPS.

UTex09 Apr 22, 2014 8:34 am

I would go 777 all the way due to mx issues with the 747s. If you've never flown on a 747, maybe I'd consider it for that, but otherwise the 777 is my clear choice.

boolean64 Apr 22, 2014 8:38 am

Can you do the ANA first class square ORD-NRT? Would definitely be a better experience than United GF. If not agree with others that you'd want a shorter second flight all things being equal.

txp Apr 22, 2014 9:05 am

Thanks to everyone for their opinions. I did book option 2 via HKG.

Originally Posted by boolean64 (Post 22741693)
Can you do the ANA first class square ORD-NRT? Would definitely be a better experience than United GF. If not agree with others that you'd want a shorter second flight all things being equal.

No, ANA is not an option. Thanks for suggesting Option 2 in that case.

Originally Posted by UTex09 (Post 22741669)
I would go 777 all the way due to mx issues with the 747s. If you've never flown on a 747, maybe I'd consider it for that, but otherwise the 777 is my clear choice.

Thank you. This is what I was afraid of. I have seen too many cancellations of the LAX/SFO-SYD flights in the past few years.

Originally Posted by sannmann (Post 22741664)
Go with the HKG option. The same aircraft that operates ORD-HKG also operates HKG-SIN. You'll be covered in case of IRROPS.

This is a GREAT point, which probably trumps all others.

Originally Posted by txflyer77 (Post 22741645)
I'd personally choose the HKG connection. UA's 747s are delay-prone and I personally prefer to go from a long haul to a short haul rather than long to medium.

Thank you. I agree that 16 hours followed by 4 is better than 13 hours followed by 7. Good point.

Originally Posted by jpc83 (Post 22741602)
In Global First, the seats are identical, reliability should be fine, and you don't have to worry about connections. What would you rather fly, the front of the 777 or the bottom deck of the 747? I'd personally take option 1.

Thanks. I know that having seat 1A on the 747 would be a lot of fun, but this is probably the only benefit of option 1. As long as the seats are identical, I think I am better off on the 777.

Again, thank you all!