Please Help: HNL SIN XMN

Old Apr 19, 14, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, BA
Please Help: HNL SIN XMN

Please help - planning a trip for 3 pax for 2015 (business preferred but econ is fine) with the least stops.....is this legal as a round trip?
1. HNL to SIN (via NRT or HND layover only) (stop for ~4 nights in SIN)
2. SIN to NRT or HND (stop for ~3 nights in Tokyo)
3. NRT to XMN (stop for ~5 nights in XMN)
4. XMN to HNL (via NRT layover only)

Will I be banned for backtracking?
Can i tell the agent that I am going to Toyko with SIN as stopover then returning from Tokyo to HNL with XMN as stopover?

What if I changed #2 to SIN to ICN (non-stop) and then #3 ICN to XMN (with layover in a China city) aviod touching Tokyo = not backtracking?

I must go to SIN and XMN; the tokyo or ICN part is just for fun since no direct *A flight from SIN to XMN (any other city suggestions are welcomed; BKK no pax, PEK too cold during that time)

I also have AA points, Amex MR points, and Chase UR to use if you have other suggestions beside using UA MP.

Thanks a ton!
Old Apr 19, 14, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
You don't have a backtracking problem, you have too many stopovers. You get destination (SIN) plus one stopover. This itinerary has two stopovers.

You may also run into segment issues (UA nominally enforces a limitation of 4 in each direction).
Old Apr 20, 14, 5:52 pm

Can't it be booked with two one ways instead of a round trip? Are stopovers allowed on a one way ticket? If so, it seems that would solve the problem.
Old Apr 20, 14, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Acornragazzo View Post
Can't it be booked with two one ways instead of a round trip? Are stopovers allowed on a one way ticket? If so, it seems that would solve the problem.
No and no.
Old Apr 20, 14, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
It could be booked as two RTs or (possibly) as a single RT with an OJ. But since the OJ would be at a stopover, it will be a challenge.
Old Apr 21, 14, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, BA
I tried putting #1 & #2 as multi-destination but it is asking for 57,500 pp!!
2. SIN to NRT or HND (stop for ~3 nights in Tokyo)

So I guess for the sake of saving miles for more future trips probably do this which required 55k:
SIN to XMN (stop for ~5 nights in XMN)
4. XMN to HNL (via NRT layover only)

It is also challenging to find one stop (Tokyo) flight from HNL to SIN for 3 pax; according to United site it is HNL > HND > BKK or PEK > SIN. Also, looked at ANA but it will be an overnighter in Toyko in order to have 3 seats direct to SIN on the next day. Any suggestions?

Also, anyone know if it would be better (shorter flight duration and not too much more pts) by using AA or BA pts? Thanks again!

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
It could be booked as two RTs or (possibly) as a single RT with an OJ. But since the OJ would be at a stopover, it will be a challenge.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: