Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Trying to make a flight change and the differential is over $3000!!!

Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite

I don't fly United very often so I would appreciate if some of the more experienced UA flyers could give me insights into this situation.

I've booked a YYC-ORD-EWR-SJO return May 5-9 trip entirely in P (on the UA website). Turns out that my SO can now join me on this trip if I change the dates and routing which I can easily do as my business in SJO is flexible. My ticket cost CAD $1122.

I priced out YYC-ORD-EWR-SJO on May 1 returning SJO-EWR-DEN-YYC on May 6 for him at CAD $1115. The segments are in A, A, D, P, P and P respectively. So far so good. I couldn't make the change online (the flights I wanted weren't showing up), so I call UA to see what it would cost to switch my ticket over to the new dates and slightly revised itinerary to match his. I expected a $200 change fee. And since the new ticket is just $7 less than the old, I figured there would be no fare difference. Wrong! According to the Phillipines-based agent, I need to pay the $200 AND pay a fare differential of $3,046!!!! Yup, that's in addition to the $1115 that I've already paid! When I suggested that perhaps this was an error, she put me on hold while she went to her "support desk" and I have been on hold now for over 45 minutes! What do I not know? Is this fare differential legitimate? Any advice on what I should do next? Please help! Many thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Suggest to rebook both the in and outbound. Your change is causing a fare break or violating some fare rule, repricing as a full fare. Or simply cancel the original ticket, and then use that money to rebook including the $200 fee then.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Sometime changes price weirdly, cancel and rebook using the cancel credit should get the results you want.

Did you have an upgrade or an -UP fare. Believe in those case it tries to maintain the cabin by booking a full fare or a true P fare, yield a more expensive fare.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
Suggest to rebook both the in and outbound. Your change is causing a fare break or violating some fare rule, repricing as a full fare. Or simply cancel the original ticket, and then use that money to rebook including the $200 fee then.
This is a P fare, so not cancellable. My only option is to change and that's where I'm running into this unexpected problem.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by catgirl
This is a P fare, so not cancellable. ....
P fares are cancellable but non-refundable. But cancel and have a credit is fine (and a change fee). You probably should use an agent.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
P fares are cancellable but non-refundable. But cancel and have a credit is fine (and a change fee). You probably should use an agent.
Thank you VERY MUCH! That's what I thought -- I didn't think I would lose the entire value of the ticket just because I needed to cancel the flight -- but the agent I spoke to just kept repeating "this is not a cancellable ticket". I kept trying to clarify the difference between cancellable and refundable but I finally gave up. Appreciate your assistance!!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Call!! Don't use the website to make changes

Are you doing this on the web or via phone? The change process via the web isn't very robust especially (IMHO) when dealing with anything but the cheapest available fare. I suggest calling, there is no fee (beyond any applicable change fee) for making changes to a ticket via the phone. A live ticket agent will do a much better job of pricing it for you.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by kenn0223
Call!! Don't use the website to make changes
Are you doing this on the web or via phone? ....
I think the OP was very clear this was done with an agent on the phone
.... According to the Phillipines-based agent, I need to pay the $200 AND pay a fare differential of $3,046!!!! ....
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA G
You're booking in P and looking to get rebooked in three end-on-end A, D, and P fares. No surprise it's coming out a lot more.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by unavaca
You're booking in P and looking to get rebooked in three end-on-end A, D, and P fares. No surprise it's coming out a lot more.
Nah...the fare is the fare. If a new ticket really is only $1115 then it doesn't matter what the fare buckets are.

Now if there was only one seat at $1115 (and now he's got it) and now the new flight is $4k then the $3000 change fee makes sense. But otherwise if the fare is still available then the OP should be able to change into it.

And I see the OP's itinerary still available at around that price.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sometimes you just need to hang up and call again.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Sometimes you just need to hang up and call again.
Thank you all, this is exactly what I did. The next agent confirmed that all I had to do was cancel the flight and a credit would be placed on my account for 1 year from the date of purchase. The itinerary I want is still available at the $1115 price, so I am good to go. Well ... except for the 60 minutes of my life that I will never get back, spent on the phone with a useless agent!

Thank you again everyone for your help ... with hindsight, FT is where I should have started!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wrong! According to the Phillipines-based agent, I need to pay the $200 AND pay a fare differential of $3,046!!!!
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I think the OP was very clear this was done with an agent on the phone
Not only clear, OP also mentioned the fact it was a non-US agent for some reason :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.