Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA given upgrade over CPU?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Ugleeual
I'm pretty sure that an employee flying on a positive space seat (must ride) gets the upgrade before a CPU... Might not be any funny business...
That's not what happened here.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Gosh, I don't know where to start - but everything here is untrue.

OP: why didn't you say something to the GA if you saw this happening? You missed the upgrade because the GA was lazy and didn't want to bother, but you should have hit your call button or spoken up if she was nearby and told her you were next on the list and she needs to clear the list.
wouldn't that be a fun situation... person A is informed they get the upgrade and takes their seat in F. person B complains and the GA informs person A that they must go back to Y so person B can have that seat...if it were to happen... extremely awkward situation
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
wouldn't that be a fun situation... person A is informed they get the upgrade and takes their seat in F. person B complains and the GA informs person A that they must go back to Y so person B can have that seat...if it were to happen... extremely awkward situation
I saw something similar happen on a flight once. GA came on to upgrade someone into the last first class seat because there was a no show. She went to the right row, but asked the person in the wrong seat. The person she asked seemed confused as to why they were being upgraded, but didn't question it and got up and got their stuff before the GA realized her mistake and asked the person next to them. Made for a bit of an awkward situation, but at least the pax who got bamboozled ended up with an entire row of E+ to themselves as their seatmate vacated to first. And at least it was corrected before they actually got to the seat and settled in.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
But it seems there should be some type of policy around when the F upsells stop, and CPU's at the gate are cleared. Perhaps at 45 minutes prior to the posted takeoff time? That would at least coincide with the bag check cutoff at most or all airports.
I'd prefer they not clear the last seat (or several) until boarding is complete, if those seats are booked but not checked in, until they fix some issues with their PSS. Since 3/3 I've had a couple boardings where I was told I was not checked in when I scanned my BP at the gate and I wouldn't want to introduce another way to lose confirmed upgrades over IT glitches.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
if they did their jobs the right way then they wouldn't have to deal with this "fun situation" at all.

i had it happen to me at ABQ one time -- GA calls me up to give me the upgrade, prints out the boarding pass and realizes that it doesn't have my name on it but someone else's. not as awkward as it going on within the tube, but same concept, and i lived through it and really didn't upset me that much. GA profusely apologized and asked the FAs to give me free drinks in coach (this was pre-3/3). with the huge snowstorm blowing into IAD, i would have taken a seat in the cargo hold to avoid being stuck in ABQ.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not my problem...and I've been on the receiving end of the short side of the stick on a couple occasions when I had to move back for the "rightful owner" of the seat. I'd rather be aggressive about securing my seat immediately when the mobile app shows me upgraded and risk going back vs sitting there quietly and missing out on an upgraded I should have cleared into.

The one time, many years ago PMCO, when I did remain quiet and failed to speak out aggressively, I ended up screwing myself and 3 other people on the list when a GA came on board and moved a father and his mentally challenged son up and ignored the remaining passengers on the list - and F went out with one empty seat to boot.

I won't be doing that again - every time I smell shenanigans or laziness, I will be punching the call button or offering a loud "excuse me" in order to clear up any "misunderstanding".
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Ugleeual
I'm pretty sure that an employee flying on a positive space seat (must ride) gets the upgrade before a CPU... Might not be any funny business...
pilots are confirmed in First Class. As for other employees on company business, they are booked in coach and behind revenue passengers waiting for complimentary upgrades.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:53 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I had a slightly odd variant of this last night.

2-class 763 swapped for 3-class 763. First not for sale as I asked at the lounge when I got my new seat.

At the gate employee +3 family members (they were listed on both the standby and the upgrade to Business lists), asks Gate Agent about First. Agent says they are not selling it, and the system shows no availability to sell - zero'ed out.

Passenger explains she knows how to do that - goes around the desk, taps the computer and 5 minutes later she has four F boarding passes.

She, her husband and her two teenage kids enjoyed their seats in F whilst the other passengers were squeezed in to the tiny seats on the 3-class 763.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerTom111
I was on a flight last year going from EWR to SFO. There was one empty seat and I was #1 on the list. I was waiting for them to upgrade me but they didn't because we were 1 hr late. They just closed the doors and that was it. I was pretty ticked off but I just got over it.
Did you see whether you were 'upgraded' after you landed? I've had two occasions this year where there were empty seats in F, space showing on the app and an unprocessed upgrade list when we pushed back, but by the time we landed the app showed F as full. 1k voice were of course useless as by their records F went out full.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
A 1K on an M fare should have trumped a CPU in any event.

But, the fact is that once you board, you have lost your place on the UG list unless you have made specific arrangements w. the GA and the GA has specifically agreed to come find you if you make it.

What you saw here isn't likely shennanigans, but rather exactly why it is a bad idea -- other than for the pax who misses the UG -- to disrupt the boarding process for UG's. Messing around finding people on a list as the clock ticks down is exactly what delays flights.

This is one where, had OP waited at the gate because F had not boarded full, he would have been standing there when the seat came open (and presumably #1 had boarded or not and lost his slot).
I disagree with the assertion that upgrading a few passengers who have already boarded causes flight delays. PMNW always managed to do this without any problems, although sometimes the person being upgraded was asked not to move bags in the overhead bin until at least the flight was up in the air with the seat belt sign off.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
Non rev taking precedence is nothing new on UA, and quite prevelant.
On my last SIN-NRT flight, the GA took care of her friends while several of us with instrument supported upgrades were ignored.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:05 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by halls120
On my last SIN-NRT flight, the GA took care of her friends while several of us with instrument supported upgrades were ignored.
I hope you complained and reported it.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I did, and got compensation.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by halls120
I did, and got compensation.
Good. Part of the evil effect of Shena happening for the SWU/miles upgrades on flights like SIN-NRT is that people will have already burned SWUs/miles for the TPAC segment in most cases, so that when their upgrade is unfairly denied, they get no form of refund.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I had the same thing happen to me on a flight from SFO-PVG, and I got an "apology" email, saying "we are sorry you did not get your upgrade." I was first on the waiting list all day, then while boarding was still going on, number 2 on both the first and business upgrade lists (same person) was upgraded and moved to business. My itinerary on my mobile app showed me in business, but I could not refresh my boarding pass. I showed the purser who said not to worry, that I really was not upgraded. On arrival in Shanghai, I complained and got the aforementioned email, and it took three more emails and a fax to get my upgrade returned. The service reps kept arguing with me that I got my upgrade, so why was I complaining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.