Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA - first in the US to buy the 737 will get the 8,000th!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA - first in the US to buy the 737 will get the 8,000th!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:20 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by 15cats
Slimlines. Slimlines everywhere.
Yup

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Would rather have more Airbii
Yup ^

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Tail #821 N68821 is the 8,000th 737. And for the record this is considered an sUA 739ER as it's staffed with sUA FAs. (Pilots could be either sCO or sUA).
Will it have a plaque onboard the way the 500th A320 built did (I flew that bird and saw a plaque commemorating the delivery to UA on the wall between the galley and seat 1C*)

*this was when it was UAdbaUA where F/C was AB-CD
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
Yup

Yup ^

Will it have a plaque onboard the way the 500th A320 built did (I flew that bird and saw a plaque commemorating the delivery to UA on the wall between the galley and seat 1C*)

*this was when it was UAdbaUA where F/C was AB-CD
I know it has an 8,000th sticker to the left of the 1R door, however I haven't seen the inside of the aircraft so don't know if it has a plaque or not. I do know however that one of the sUA 739ERs has a 100 employees something or other plaque inside.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Hope this clears up the issue as to why it's referred to sCO, sCAL, sUA, sUAL, L-CAL, L-UAL.
It is very clear. What is not clear is why 3-1/2 years after the merger this airline and Union groups can not sit down and work this garbage out.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by kettle1
It is very clear. What is not clear is why 3-1/2 years after the merger this airline and Union groups can not sit down and work this garbage out.
Because two unions means two sets of union heads. Why would either of them willingly give up their positions of power?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:49 pm

Easy work rules and seniority issues. CO FAs don't care much for UA work rules, just like UA FAs don't care much for CO work rules. Although the UA FAs who crossed over to the CO side haven't said anything negative about working on the CO side, the layovers, work rules etc. Also UA side feels that a 2006 hire FA should have more seniority over a 2005 hire FA on the CO side etc. But this is more of a union issue then anything because there's several employees who just wish we would all become one and start working together.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Because two unions means two sets of union heads. Why would either of them willingly give up their positions of power?
Both sides are represented by the AFA, however each side has a separate AFA MEC president council etc. So you got the CO AFA ME president, council and you have the the UA AFA MEC president, council.

If anybody's interested here's the union pages:

http://calafa.org/

http://unitedafa.org/
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Well these two groups have one thing in common - Their check is paid by United Continental Holdings, Inc.

This directly effects the airline, passengers and investors in UAL. If a plane has a problem in a city where the crew times out, mechanical, etc. There may be available FA's to work the flt, but they can not because they work for the "other side".

DL worked this out in about 2 years, I believe. We'll see how it works for AA/US.

Lock all sides in a room until it is worked out. Work 24/7. And smoke lots of cigars. Serve the food offered on current UA flts and charge for drinks with no limes. I bet this problem could be solved in a matter of days.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:42 pm

Well these two groups have one thing in common - Their check is paid by United Continental Holdings, Inc.

This directly effects the airline, passengers and investors in UAL. If a plane has a problem in a city where the crew times out, mechanical, etc. There may be available FA's to work the flt, but they can not because they work for the "other side".

DL worked this out in about 2 years, I believe. We'll see how it works for AA/US.

Lock all sides in a room until it is worked out. Work 24/7. And smoke lots of cigars. Serve the food offered on current UA flts and charge for drinks with no limes. I bet this problem could be solved in a matter of days.
Actually, the checks come from United Airlines, Inc., which is formerly known as Continental Airlines, Inc. but your point remains the same: this is an incredibly complex issue that has nothing to do with the 8,000th 737 delivery.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
FA work groups are still separate and have metal protection in their contracts. so FAs on the sCO side can only work Continental aircraft, and FAs on the sUA side can only work United aircraft. So a Continental FA can't work a 747, just like a United FA can't work a 787. Regarding the 739ER issue any 739/739ER that are tail #s 401 - 478 are staffed by sCO FAs, while the 739ERs that are tail #s 801 - 821 are staffed by sUA FAs. Both FA work groups are even told internally that whenever they have a trip pairing with a 739 to make sure you are on the right aircraft. sCO FAs make sure your on a 401 - 478 739/739ER, and sUA FAs make sure your on a 801 - 821 739ER. Also any newly delivered 739ER being delivered are being delivered to the sUA side as they are being used as the replacement for the domestic 2-cabin 757s.

Hope this clears up the issue as to why it's referred to sCO, sCAL, sUA, sUAL, L-CAL, L-UAL.
So I assume tail #s 801-821 will also be using sUA flight # 200-999 ?

Do you know if this new 737-900ER also delivered with split scimitar winglets as well ?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
So I assume tail #s 801-821 will also be using sUA flight # 200-999 ?

Do you know if this new 737-900ER also delivered with split scimitar winglets as well ?
No all 739/739ER flights regardless if it's an sCO 739/739ER or an sUA 739ER will be using sCO flight numbers...A couple of examples.

sCO 739ER Tail #424
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...s/results.aspx

sUA 739ER Tail #810
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...s/results.aspx

739ERs will be retrofitted after they are delivered I believe. I know we had a 739ER flying around as a testing bed for the scimtar winglets on the 739ER not sure if those have been removed or not.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:40 am

The Roach

The Cockroach! Based on a 1950's width design, with too many planes crowding the airways, a venerable aircraft has become a cockroach with us too wide Americans.

The 737 givers me incentive to hold my weight down. I have a fairly narrow frame, but still feel squished on a 737.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly18725
Actually, the checks come from United Airlines, Inc., which is formerly known as Continental Airlines, Inc. but your point remains the same: this is an incredibly complex issue that has nothing to do with the 8,000th 737 delivery.
The owners of this company are United Continental Holdings, Inc. (UAL) -NYSE.
That is who makes payroll. The check may say United Airlines, Inc., but it is the shareholders that own the company and they buy United Continental Holdings, Inc. (UAL) -NYSE stock. And if you want some history on CO. Look it up. http://www.ask.com/wiki/Continental_Airlines Robert F. Six was a true leader.

I have flown on CO and UA for 30 years, but give the UA vs CO crap a break. Merge and become a team, already. 3-1/2 years after a merger- still trouble.

I guess no answers?

Last edited by kettle1; Apr 19, 2014 at 2:00 am Reason: Merge
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Take 'lime' out of slimlines and what do you get?.
slins?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Originally Posted by channa
Not just transcons. West Coast to Hawaii, what the? And crazy long flights like CM's PTY-LAX.
The west coast to Hawaii 737s are awful! The seats in coach feel like a bench and the F class Is outdated compared to the Airbus. The 2 class 767s were a much better experience to Hawaii with 2-3-2 in coach and much more comfortable seats!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Both sides are represented by the AFA, however each side has a separate AFA MEC president council etc. So you got the CO AFA ME president, council and you have the the UA AFA MEC president, council.

If anybody's interested here's the union pages:

http://calafa.org/

http://unitedafa.org/
The point still stands. A merger means half those people lose their positions and power. There's a personal incentive to drag out the merger for as long as possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.