FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   "New" United Airlines Forum Glossary (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1569227-new-united-airlines-forum-glossary.html)

WineCountryUA Apr 14, 2014 9:25 pm

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Ever since the merger there has been a need for a replacement of the previous United Airlines Forum Glossary. I started (2-3 times :) ) with the original thread and finally made an concerted effort during some recent transcons to create a updated version. It felt a bit presumptuous to create this glossary but I guess someone had to do this.

There are a number of ways to organize the glossary. The main FT Glossary is alphabetical and the older UA Forum glossary was topically organized. There are benefits to both, but for now I stayed with the topical approach – it is up to the group to make the final decision.

The depth of definition is a tricky issue. You want effort to explain the term but multi-paragraph definitions with all the relevant if, ands, buts seem to defeat the purpose of a useable glossary.

Besides updating the terminology due to the merge, some older pre-merger terms were left in since they are still occasionally used and help set a context.

As a wiki, this is open to all to edit, revise, enhance, ... I would ask we keep the dialogue here informative and neutral in tone.

mgcsinc Apr 14, 2014 9:34 pm

Yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay!

Way to go, WineCountryUA!

ibuyyoufly Apr 14, 2014 9:53 pm

Excellent!

For those using this as the Bible, maybe adding mx and wx, along with kettle.

Kacee Apr 14, 2014 9:56 pm

This is awesome.

WineCountryUA Apr 14, 2014 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by ibuyyoufly (Post 22705840)
... maybe adding mx and wx, along with kettle.

thanks -- have added but remember any member with more than 180 posts and 180 days can make their own edits

DenverBrian Apr 14, 2014 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 22705923)
thanks -- have added but remember any member with more than 180 posts and 18 days can make their own edits

True, and I went through and did a bit of light editing and typo corrections.

mitchellh Apr 14, 2014 11:14 pm

This is extremely helpful, and would've been more helpful if it existed a few years ago (in such a good form) when I started flying so much. Thank you!

love_to_travel Apr 14, 2014 11:16 pm

Thank you WineCountryUA!

This for sure needs to be a sticky.

WineCountryUA Apr 14, 2014 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 22706060)
True, and I went through and did a bit of light editing and typo corrections.

Thanks -- my writing tends to need lots of "light editing" :)

DBCme Apr 14, 2014 11:38 pm

Good stuff.

How about "lounge dragons"

BayAreaTraveler Apr 15, 2014 12:45 am

Originally Posted by love_to_travel (Post 22706107)
Thank you WineCountryUA!

This for sure needs to be a sticky.

Definitely needs to be a sticky.

goalie Apr 15, 2014 8:48 am

Nicely done ^ and any thoughts on bolding the terms for easier visibility when reading

Current

BIS: Butt in seat miles (miles actually flown).
Base miles: This normally the actual flight miles. Credited miles will be based on base miles (as a percentage). UA elites will have 500 mile minimum on UA/UX/COPA flights and selected partner flights.
PQM: Premier Qualifying Miles - Miles that count toward qualifying for status in the MP program. PQMs are not redeemable for award travel. Previously called EQMs.
PQS: Premier Qualifying Segments - Segments that count toward qualifying for status in the MP program. PQS are not redeemable for award travel. Previously called EQS.
to this

BIS: Butt in seat miles (miles actually flown).
Base miles: This normally the actual flight miles. Credited miles will be based on base miles (as a percentage). UA elites will have 500 mile minimum on UA/UX/COPA flights and selected partner flights.
PQM: Premier Qualifying Miles - Miles that count toward qualifying for status in the MP program. PQMs are not redeemable for award travel. Previously called EQMs.
PQS: Premier Qualifying Segments - Segments that count toward qualifying for status in the MP program. PQS are not redeemable for award travel. Previously called EQS.
And yes, another vote for this being made a sticky

love_to_travel Apr 15, 2014 8:51 am

Would it be OK to change this:

RPU: Regional Premier Upgrades – like GPUs but limited to CPU eligible routes plus p.s. & EWR/IAH-Hawaii routes.
to this:

RPU: Regional Premier Upgrades – like GPUs but limited to CPU eligible routes plus p.s. & EWR/IAD/IAH-Hawaii routes.

UTex09 Apr 15, 2014 9:06 am

Thanks for this. There's actually several was unaware of!

bmwe92fan Apr 15, 2014 9:12 am

LOL I thought TOD meant "Time of Day" upgrade...