Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bye Bye Baileys? [False. Bailey's remains per UAInsider]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bye Bye Baileys? [False. Bailey's remains per UAInsider]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 4:54 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
If true, then this really (n.b. really) sucks as my pre-dep on morning flights is always a Baileys & milk* followed by a second and third with breakfast

*it's chocolate milk with a kick
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I love Bailey's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not exactly expensive is it? Seems like a penny wise, pound foolish cut to me.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:06 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cyanchan15
Probably I will get one in airport duty free shop before I board and share my bottle with everyone else...
Thankfully, the FARs prohibit this:

§ 121.575 Alcoholic beverages.
(a) No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage to him.
I will miss Bailey's too. After UA dropped Kahlúa (and hence no more Black Russians), Bailey's and vodka became an okay substitute. Not sure if there is any reasonable third choice now.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by CMK10
I love Bailey's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not exactly expensive is it? Seems like a penny wise, pound foolish cut to me.
Bolding mine:. You forget which airline we're talking about here
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Perhaps they will replace it with Carolan's. That stuff is rock gut. Perhaps they can save 10 cents per mini bottle. You've got to reach that $2B is savings somewhere. First limes, now Baileys. Whats next? Ice, cups, silverware, swizzle sticks, salt and pepper, hot towels, soap in the lav. The list could go on.

Just rebrand and become like Spirit or Allegiant. Both of these airlines are making record profits.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
[Reply to since-deleted post edited by Moderator.]

Originally Posted by azzurro
The Port wine is quite good
I see, you live in Colorado.

Originally Posted by azzurro
I prefer the Amaretto on the ice cream
Amaretto is good in coffee as well. It's pretty much the only way I can drink non-Turkish coffee.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 13, 2014 at 8:24 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb

She said Bailey's very popular, especially with a coffee. They will still have cognac, but in her 6 years as a FA no one has ever ordered a cognac period much less a cognac and coffee.
I used to order cognac for my coffee with the ice cream sundae, and then put a bit of the ice cream in my coffee. On the other hand, I used to fly United.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I believe this simply because just about every rumor of an impending UA cost cut of late has come to fruition. This company simply can't resist nickel-and-diming, especially when it comes to premium cabins.

Unfortunately, with yet another dismal quarterly result looming, we will only see more of this cheap nonsense.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM
[Text re since-deleted posts edited by Moderator.] FWIW: I fell asleep before take-off as usual, woke up to a PM snack box on the armrest, and a few moments later was asked if I wanted another Bailey's on the rocks or another choice of drink. I chose the Bailey's, and then went back to sleep. Oh, she did ask me upon landing if I wanted to to throw my newspaper away...

LOL Azzurro - never got the two heads look, usually just a smile/nod of the head, and a "I can do that" from the serving FA.

Yuck if Carolans. The way the news was presented to me; it would just be the cognac as a choice of an after dinner drink; tho I'm with Goalie for the **occasional** AM Baileys Adult Chocolate Milk ..... (that also is a very clever brand in liquor stores).

Baileys just seems to go well with coffee. Once a FA gave me Amaretto by mistake, I couldn't drink it.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 13, 2014 at 8:25 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
I would honestly rather pay for Premium alcohol in FC and have it stocked on the plane. We already pay for wi-fi why not have better food and drink for a price?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
This is absolutely pathetic if true. Bailey's is a staple in most premium cabins; and, when combined with UA's otherwise undrinkable imitation cheap-brand coffee, I'd argue is a necessity.

I'll chock this down has reason #4353 why I'm glad I've switched to American.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
This is absolutely pathetic if true. Bailey's is a staple in most premium cabins; and, when combined with UA's otherwise undrinkable imitation cheap-brand coffee, I'd argue is a necessity.
Still holding out hope for Wild Turkey.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by mherdeg
The only Wild Turkey we are going to see is for purchase on the Choice Menu when they run out of chicken salad...
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
unbelievable if true. perhaps the actual coup de grâce for my limited remaining premium cabin spend on UA (which is mostly buying W fares at this point). we keep asking how much further UA can regress, and they keep coming up with some very surprising and creative answers.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Originally Posted by mherdeg
The only Wild Turkey we are going to see is for purchase on the Choice Menu when they run out of chicken salad...
Or you could look 2-3 pages before the "Voices" page in the Hemispheres" magazine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.