Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Must check baggage through to final destination?

Old Apr 12, 14, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Hertz PC

Say I am flying on a multi-leg trip, e.g. EWR-FRA-MUC but do not want to fly the last leg to MUC. Could I ask the check-in agent to check my bags to FRA only?
I realise that telling the check-in agent that I don't plan to use the last leg might be a bad idea, but I could come up with another reason why I need my bag in FRA.
Old Apr 12, 14, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GS, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LP
Short checking bags is generally not allowed - why don't you just change the reservation?
Old Apr 12, 14, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan View Post
Short checking bags is generally not allowed - why don't you just change the reservation?
Thanks for the input. The reservation is not changeable according to fare rules.
Old Apr 12, 14, 7:06 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
UA doesn't allow short checking
Old Apr 12, 14, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GS, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LP
Be careful if you decide to carry-on and not fly that last leg if you have a return flight - they could cancel your return...
Old Apr 12, 14, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Stratonaut View Post
Say I am flying on a multi-leg trip, e.g. EWR-FRA-MUC but do not want to fly the last leg to MUC. Could I ask the check-in agent to check my bags to FRA only?
I realise that telling the check-in agent that I don't plan to use the last leg might be a bad idea, but I could come up with another reason why I need my bag in FRA.
I thought you would have to collect your baggage and clear customs and immigration at FRA before 're-checking' your bag for the final 'domestic' flight FRA-MUC.

(I could easily be mistaken since I have never taken a connecting flight from FRA - that has always been my final destination)
Old Apr 12, 14, 7:26 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Aspen View Post
I thought you would have to collect your baggage and clear customs and immigration at FRA before 're-checking' your bag for the final 'domestic' flight FRA-MUC.

(I could easily be mistaken since I have never taken a connecting flight from FRA - that has always been my final destination)
I have never connected to an intra Germany flight, but I believe customs is at final airport there, vs US which is gateway.
Old Apr 12, 14, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fastair View Post
I have never connected to an intra Germany flight, but I believe customs is at final airport there, vs US which is gateway.
This is correct, as far as I remember from previous flights.

So the alternative seems to be to travel light (i.e. carry-on only) and skip the unwanted leg. It is the last leg in my itinerary, so the airline cancelling my ticket wouldn't have any negative effect. I can't imagine this would affect the earning of miles for the leg actually traveled (EWR-FRA)?!
Old Apr 12, 14, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Aspen View Post

You go through passport control at your first point of entry into the Shengen Zone and you go through Customs at your final destination after baggage claim.

OP, does your reservation allow for a stopover? If so, you could make FRA your Stopover and not take the MUC flight.
Old Apr 12, 14, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Of course you can - you can ask the checkin agent whatever you want.

Whether your request will be granted is probably what you meant to ask about. And that answer is likely to be no.
Old Apr 12, 14, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA does not short-check bags because it is a red flag for hidden city fraud. In addition, if there are return or onward segments on your ticket after MUC, those will all auto-cancel as soon as you skip the FRA-MUC segment.

This is all designed to prevent exactly what you propose to do, e.g. beat the change fees.
Old Apr 12, 14, 10:13 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
If your stop in FRA is over 5-6 hours you could probably talk them into doing it......if its over 12 hours you can do it for sure. See if you can change the FRA-UC flight to a long layover and then when you check in just tell them you need your bags in FRA to change, shower, etc. If they say you should carry on a change of clothes, just counter that with the fact your liquids (hair gel, etc) are to large to carry on. Where there is a will, there is a way...
Old Apr 12, 14, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
From the Contract of Carriage :

5) Baggage will not be checked:

e) To an intermediate point unless the intermediate point to which the Baggage is to be checked is a permissible Stopover point at the fare paid (except if the Passenger is making a connection to the first available UA flight departing from such intermediate point and the connection exceeds four hours, the Passenger may reclaim his/her Baggage at such intermediate connecting point).
Old Apr 12, 14, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr View Post
If your stop in FRA is over 5-6 hours you could probably talk them into doing it......if its over 12 hours you can do it for sure. See if you can change the FRA-UC flight to a long layover and then when you check in just tell them you need your bags in FRA to change, shower, etc. If they say you should carry on a change of clothes, just counter that with the fact your liquids (hair gel, etc) are to large to carry on. Where there is a will, there is a way...
"Just say" does not work at UA. There is a specific prohibition in the COC and UA agents cannot simply override the system without supervisory review.

Carry-on allowances are more than generous enough to provide for a change of clothes, toiletries can be carried on in <100m containers (or obtained locally) and so on.

The bottom line is that even if OP can talk his way through this scam, he won't know that it has worked until he actually obtains his bag at FRA (rather than finding out that the system retagged the bag to MUC) that he has pulled it off.

There's a reason for all this and what might have worked at one time, doesn't work anymore. Carriers have made substantial investments in the software to catch this stuff.
Old Apr 12, 14, 5:16 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Stratonaut View Post
The reservation is not changeable according to fare rules.
Not changeable at all, or not changeable without payment of a change fee? Most restricted fares are of the latter variety, and that's precisely why you find yourself in a difficult situation: per the fare rules, you likely owe UA a change that that you're trying to avoid paying. They're not going to make it easy.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: