Cut our United Credit cards in half

Old Apr 11, 14, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Cut our United Credit cards in half

Is everybody as pissed off as I am about the status changes??? How can we fight back as consumers? I want to cut my United CCard and mail it back to them!
Old Apr 11, 14, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by linnanes View Post
Is everybody as pissed off as I am about the status changes???
What status changes? I haven't seen any recent change to the elite tiers on United.
Old Apr 11, 14, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Welcome to FT!

What are you talking about?
Old Apr 11, 14, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
What status changes? I haven't seen any recent change to the elite tiers on United.
This. Unless OP is referring to PQDs? Not exactly recent, but having just gone into effect for this qualifying year, it's certainly likely there are people who haven't yet learned of the requirement.
Old Apr 11, 14, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
I highly doubt UA would give a crap, but go for it if it makes you feel better. Your UA card is issued by Chase, not UA anyway. All programs devalue over time, so you will end up mad at your next choice very soon as well.
Old Apr 11, 14, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Well, I wish my UA CC wasn't canceled by Chase, so I can spend $25K on it and skip PQD requirement.
Old Apr 11, 14, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Is everybody as pissed off as I am about the status changes??? How can we fight back as consumers? I want to cut my United CCard and mail it back to them!
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Since this question is specifically about UA's policies, I'll move it to the UA forum where the experts therein can provide further input.

Please note this thread originated in the flame-free Information Desk forum.

jackal
Moderator, Information Desk
Old Apr 12, 14, 12:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
What is your question? Are you after the address to send the to halves to?
Old Apr 12, 14, 12:24 am

Programs: AS, AY, DL, PP
If you're pissed about the PQDs then the credit card is the only thing that can save you without too much of a hassle so it's probably not the best idea to chop it up
Old Apr 12, 14, 2:48 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, AS 75k, DL Diamond and 1MM
No Credit Card Waiver for 1K's

It is perhaps instructive that Delta's Amex $25k waiver works for all status levels including Diamonds. United's $25k waiver does not help their 1K's; they have to spend the dollars. Why this is I can speculate between two theories:

1. Amex has more power over Delta and insists on a stable of credit card-whipped status peons to pay the $195 annual renewal fee for their piece of trash card.

2. United really does hate their 1K's.

Chase has some decent credit cards, like the IHG VISA Reserve for hotels.
Their bad luck to have hooked up with United in the airline credit card space.

Oh, in case you did not know, it is easy to meet the $25k spend on either the Chase or Amex airline card: Go to a CVS, pick up some One Vanilla reloadable debit cards from the rack, take the card to the cash register and use a Chase or Amex card to buy $500 loads, drive to Walmart and buy money orders with those $500 One Vanilla cards, take the money order(s) and deposit into bank, pay credit card bill.

Last edited by Bowgie; Apr 12, 14 at 3:05 am
Old Apr 12, 14, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Bowgie View Post
It is perhaps instructive that Delta's Amex $25k waiver works for all status levels including Diamonds. United's $25k waiver does not help their 1K's; they have to spend the dollars. Why this is I can speculate between two theories:

1. Amex has more power over Delta and insists on a stable of credit card-whipped status peons to pay the $195 annual renewal fee for their piece of trash card.

2. United really does hate their 1K's.

Chase has some decent credit cards, like the IHG VISA Reserve for hotels.
Their bad luck to have hooked up with United in the airline credit card space.

Oh, in case you did not know, it is easy to meet the $25k spend on either the Chase or Amex airline card: Go to a CVS, pick up some One Vanilla reloadable debit cards from the rack, take the card to the cash register and use a Chase or Amex card to buy $500 loads, drive to Walmart and buy money orders with those $500 One Vanilla cards, take the money order(s) and deposit into bank, pay credit card bill.
People will kvetch either way. Either the 2013 1K was the 2010 Silver and treated as such or you make sure that your 1K's are actually spending some dough. Can't have it both ways.

For the business traveler, the M fare booking into F as an -UP is a huge differentiator. But, if you hand out 1K like candy -- cheap candy at that -- you are back to the same old problem: limited space up front and hordes with access to it.
Old Apr 12, 14, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
For the business traveler, the M fare booking into F as an -UP is a huge differentiator.
Except, not so much when all the V-/H-/Q-UPs are accessible to all (elite and non-elite alike), and they're typically cheaper than the M.
Old Apr 12, 14, 9:00 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Except, not so much when all the V-/H-/Q-UPs are accessible to all (elite and non-elite alike), and they're typically cheaper than the M.
Hmmmm, so you noticed that too....

IMHO the history goes like this:

-CO before 2006: complementary upgrades
- CO 2006-merger: Y/B that was "instant upgrade" usually $75-100 more one way than next lowest coach
- United 2010-2012: complementary upgrades, Y/B upgrades that were instant but F/Y/B was $250+ more each way.
-UAfkaCO 3/2/12 - end 2012/early 2013: M that was "instant upgrade" and it was often at the last minute the lowest fare category, and if not was $75 to $100 more than next lowest fare (E, U or H) Y/B was considerably more.
- UAfkaCO early 2013 to day: M is considerably more on most flights than is an E, U or H (so M-upgrade costs) and running a search at the last minute gives E,U or H fares as cheapest, almost never an M, particularly on connections which return E fares. More H-up and other special FC-light fares offered.

So not only is the "benefit" must less (as fewer Ms offered, and searching for them yields much higher prices) but the FC buy up fares are more common.

Jeff thinks people who travel a lot don't notice these things, but we do...
Old Apr 12, 14, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL GM, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, Hertz PC
I thought I read in another thread (AA FF mileage program fraud discussion) that Chase had changed their sign-up bonus to apply only if you have never previously had a Chase card. I haven't had time to check yet. Anyone know?
Old Apr 12, 14, 9:47 am

We still have no idea what OP was talking about. Maybe UA is sitting their wondering why someone just sent in a cut-up CC issued by Chase?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: