Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Issues With Using Safari Browser to Book Tickets on United's Website

Issues With Using Safari Browser to Book Tickets on United's Website

Old Apr 9, 14, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold
Angry Issues With Using Safari Browser to Book Tickets on United's Website

I have a MacBook Pro and in the last month or so I keep getting booted out of the UA website. Sometimes I am trying to book a flight and pick the cities, dates etc. and after I hit search it takes me to an error screen with red text everywhere that I need to pick valid cities and dates. Then have to start all over again

Other times I get part way through the booking process and it gives me an error that it can't process and then logs me out. It is very frustrating

I am not sure if it is because of Safari. I never had these issues before just within the last month or so.

Is anyone else having this issue?
Old Apr 9, 14, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Safari seems to work worst of all the browsers for .com.

I switched to Chrome and have far fewer problems.

It's faster too.
Old Apr 9, 14, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, MH Enrich Platinum
I use 7.0.3 Safari. No issues recently. A lot of times I wish I don't get on, especially when they change flights/times and I leave a connection city before my flight arrives.
Old Apr 10, 14, 7:30 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
I've had these issues. Most often I click 'continue' to confirm a seat select, then it errors out and logs me out.
Old Apr 10, 14, 7:41 am

Programs: ex-Con *Gold (earned) moving to DL
Originally Posted by zebranz View Post
I use 7.0.3 Safari. No issues recently.
Nor here, except when trying to apply an eCert as payment. But that error page was replicated using Firefox, so not browser specific.
Old Apr 10, 14, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
I often get those errors if I've logged in, but then gotten the log in timed out before the search.
Old Apr 10, 14, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I use safari on macs/iOS exclusively and haven't had any problems as described.
Old Apr 10, 14, 10:47 am

Programs: 1MM*G
A wise person from this site used to routinely reply to Safari issues. Clearing your cache works most of the time. You will have to do a web search to learn how to do. It varies by OS , I think.
Old Apr 10, 14, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by glasnost7 View Post
I've had these issues. Most often I click 'continue' to confirm a seat select, then it errors out and logs me out.
I ran into this several times yesterday, while trying to select seats while making a revenue booking. Errored out just before the payment page. Taking money from your customers is a pretty basic business function, UA…

Jumped to Chrome and it worked fine...
Old Apr 10, 14, 10:43 pm

Using Safari Browser to book UA tix

Don't know if this has hit others' radars. Have not been posting with FT for a long time. Have had frustrating problems trying to complete tickets on the UA website using Safari. Have been able to do Firefox OK.

Talked to the UA website support tonite, and the lady said, and admitted, that they have been having huge problems. The reason I called tonite is that I can't even sign in on Safari.

Much of this is frustrating and unnecessary. Hope UA fixes it. The IT tech says Jeff knows (not sure if that matters). Wonder if others have had this problem.
Old Apr 11, 14, 12:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by FullFare View Post
Don't know if this has hit others' radars. Have not been posting with FT for a long time. Have had frustrating problems trying to complete tickets on the UA website using Safari. Have been able to do Firefox OK.

Talked to the UA website support tonite, and the lady said, and admitted, that they have been having huge problems. The reason I called tonite is that I can't even sign in on Safari.

Much of this is frustrating and unnecessary. Hope UA fixes it. The IT tech says Jeff knows (not sure if that matters). Wonder if others have had this problem.
I talked to a guy in web support months ago and he said they were working on a fix. I suspect it's a matter of which hole in the dike is leaking the most.

Chrome seems to work pretty well.
Old Apr 11, 14, 12:12 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
I book probably 40-50 tickets per week on my laptop running the latest version of safari. What problems do you have ?
Old Apr 11, 14, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold
Thanks everyone. I updated to latest OS and Safari the other night (hadn't had decent wifi or enough time, but based on the thread figured I would make the time). Haven't had any issues since I made the updates.
Old Apr 11, 14, 8:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by chichic View Post
Thanks everyone. I updated to latest OS and Safari the other night (hadn't had decent wifi or enough time, but based on the thread figured I would make the time). Haven't had any issues since I made the updates.
I've booked dozens of tickets on Safari for Mac OS and iOS, and I've never experienced the slightest browser-related issue. Don't get me wrong: the website itself occasionally develops glitches, and many users mistakenly attribute them to their browser. It's human nature, since it's the part of the equation you're in control of.

But in this case I'm fairly certain the intermittent problems -- especially those related to login -- are server-based. Chrome is a fine browser too, but there's probably no need to switch.
Old Apr 11, 14, 8:51 am

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Ive had the error out after selecting flights when it's time to pay and close it out at the end on Safari numerous times. I run parallels on my macbook and got sick of it so I've just started swapping over to the windows side of my macbook when I book on UA so it's been a while since it happened.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: