FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Issues With Using Safari Browser to Book Tickets on United's Website (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1568247-issues-using-safari-browser-book-tickets-uniteds-website.html)

chichic Apr 9, 2014 7:36 pm

Issues With Using Safari Browser to Book Tickets on United's Website

I have a MacBook Pro and in the last month or so I keep getting booted out of the UA website. Sometimes I am trying to book a flight and pick the cities, dates etc. and after I hit search it takes me to an error screen with red text everywhere that I need to pick valid cities and dates. Then have to start all over again :mad:

Other times I get part way through the booking process and it gives me an error that it can't process and then logs me out. It is very frustrating

I am not sure if it is because of Safari. I never had these issues before just within the last month or so.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Kacee Apr 9, 2014 7:41 pm

Safari seems to work worst of all the browsers for .com.

I switched to Chrome and have far fewer problems.

It's faster too.

zebranz Apr 9, 2014 8:18 pm

I use 7.0.3 Safari. No issues recently. A lot of times I wish I don't get on, especially when they change flights/times and I leave a connection city before my flight arrives.

glasnost7 Apr 10, 2014 6:30 am

I've had these issues. Most often I click 'continue' to confirm a seat select, then it errors out and logs me out.

kale73 Apr 10, 2014 6:41 am

Originally Posted by zebranz (Post 22679905)
I use 7.0.3 Safari. No issues recently.

Nor here, except when trying to apply an eCert as payment. But that error page was replicated using Firefox, so not browser specific.

drewguy Apr 10, 2014 7:45 am

I often get those errors if I've logged in, but then gotten the log in timed out before the search.

GBadger Apr 10, 2014 9:41 am

I use safari on macs/iOS exclusively and haven't had any problems as described.

gaume Apr 10, 2014 9:47 am

A wise person from this site used to routinely reply to Safari issues. Clearing your cache works most of the time. You will have to do a web search to learn how to do. It varies by OS , I think.

PVDProf Apr 10, 2014 10:51 am

Originally Posted by glasnost7 (Post 22681608)
I've had these issues. Most often I click 'continue' to confirm a seat select, then it errors out and logs me out.

I ran into this several times yesterday, while trying to select seats while making a revenue booking. Errored out just before the payment page. Taking money from your customers is a pretty basic business function, UA…

Jumped to Chrome and it worked fine...

FullFare Apr 10, 2014 9:43 pm

Using Safari Browser to book UA tix

Don't know if this has hit others' radars. Have not been posting with FT for a long time. Have had frustrating problems trying to complete tickets on the UA website using Safari. Have been able to do Firefox OK.

Talked to the UA website support tonite, and the lady said, and admitted, that they have been having huge problems. The reason I called tonite is that I can't even sign in on Safari.

Much of this is frustrating and unnecessary. Hope UA fixes it. The IT tech says Jeff knows (not sure if that matters). Wonder if others have had this problem.

Kacee Apr 10, 2014 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by FullFare (Post 22686060)
Don't know if this has hit others' radars. Have not been posting with FT for a long time. Have had frustrating problems trying to complete tickets on the UA website using Safari. Have been able to do Firefox OK.

Talked to the UA website support tonite, and the lady said, and admitted, that they have been having huge problems. The reason I called tonite is that I can't even sign in on Safari.

Much of this is frustrating and unnecessary. Hope UA fixes it. The IT tech says Jeff knows (not sure if that matters). Wonder if others have had this problem.

I talked to a guy in web support months ago and he said they were working on a fix. I suspect it's a matter of which hole in the dike is leaking the most.

Chrome seems to work pretty well.

CO_Nonrev_elite Apr 10, 2014 11:12 pm

I book probably 40-50 tickets per week on my laptop running the latest version of safari. What problems do you have ?

chichic Apr 11, 2014 7:08 am

Thanks everyone. I updated to latest OS and Safari the other night (hadn't had decent wifi or enough time, but based on the thread figured I would make the time). Haven't had any issues since I made the updates.

RandomBaritone Apr 11, 2014 7:38 am

Originally Posted by chichic (Post 22687421)
Thanks everyone. I updated to latest OS and Safari the other night (hadn't had decent wifi or enough time, but based on the thread figured I would make the time). Haven't had any issues since I made the updates.

I've booked dozens of tickets on Safari for Mac OS and iOS, and I've never experienced the slightest browser-related issue. Don't get me wrong: the website itself occasionally develops glitches, and many users mistakenly attribute them to their browser. It's human nature, since it's the part of the equation you're in control of.

But in this case I'm fairly certain the intermittent problems -- especially those related to login -- are server-based. Chrome is a fine browser too, but there's probably no need to switch.

jkburns1 Apr 11, 2014 7:51 am

Ive had the error out after selecting flights when it's time to pay and close it out at the end on Safari numerous times. I run parallels on my macbook and got sick of it so I've just started swapping over to the windows side of my macbook when I book on UA so it's been a while since it happened.