Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LHR Terminal 2 United Club, GS Lounge (was GFL) and Arrivals Lounge Discussion Thread

LHR Terminal 2 United Club, GS Lounge (was GFL) and Arrivals Lounge Discussion Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 4, 19, 3:10 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
related thread: Consolidated connection time/logistics at LHR

Comparative Review of Five Different Star Alliance Lounges at Heathrow T2

Arrival Lounge Hours 5 AM - 2 PM
United Club Hours 5 AM - 10 PM
Global First Class Lounge Hours 5 AM - 10 PM
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 4, 19, 11:07 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by st530 View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I notice that link doesn't mention the Welcome Lounge in FRA - is that no longer offered?
The Welcome Lounge in FRA is not a UA operated arrivals lounge (which is what that link refers to).

The FRA lounge is LH operated and UA premium cabin & GS passengers still have access.
Old Sep 4, 19, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 2MM, SQ Kris Flyer, AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Premier Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
The Welcome Lounge in FRA is not a UA operated arrivals lounge (which is what that link refers to).

The FRA lounge is LH operated and UA premium cabin & GS passengers still have access.
Thank you. But as to your first point, the LHR lounge is not UA-operated either, is it? I thought it was a shared contract lounge. So it seems odd the UA link doesn't also mention FRA as an arrivals lounge, which is what it is. Unless I am missing a distinction.
Old Sep 4, 19, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by st530 View Post
Thank you. But as to your first point, the LHR lounge is not UA-operated either, is it? ....
It is a UA operated lounge that a few other *A carriers (AC and SA) have an agreement to use. UA is the first listed carrier on the sign (have no public domain pics but easily googled). The menu is very American orientated. The shower amenities the time I was there were Cowshed - a UA vendor. This is not a generic *A lounge, like TBIT (operated by NZ) and very different from FRA Welcome Lounge
Old Sep 4, 19, 8:12 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
I have previously stayed at both Marriott and Renaissance on Bath Road and caught the bus for free to the Bus Terminal/Station. Closer to T2 than the Heathrow Express and a wash with the Tube. The real buses have an area for wheelchairs and strollers and I use this area for my checked luggage.

However, my last stay on Bath Road I decided to try the new ​​​​ Moxy (part of the Marriott brands) and it is outside the free bus zone area. So be aware as I think the Premier Inn may be the furthest hotel that falls within the free bus zone area.
Just to clarify this, the Premier Inn (eastern Bath Road) is actually one bus stop outside the free bus zone, which runs as far east as Harlington Corner. If itís not tipping it down with rain itís only a 4-5 minute walk from the PI to Harlington Corner so still viable for free. Otherwise itís a £1.50 bus fare and you need a contactless payment card.

Hereís Transport for Londonís bus spider map for Central Bus Station showing the free bus zone (shaded) and the hotels close to stops. Itís a little misleading as stops 8 and 9 show hotels but are outside the free zone - http://content.tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-...2-and-3-a4.pdf
Old Sep 4, 19, 9:04 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Thť website for the Heathrow arrival lounge says that it can be accessed for ę arrivals until noon Ľ, whilst the lounge is open until 2PM. Does that mean that I have to be physically inside the lounge until noon, or that my flight must have a scheduled arrival time before noon?

Ill arrive on AC, scheduled arrival time 11:50AM.
Old Sep 4, 19, 11:23 pm

Flight arrivals before noon. If your flight ✈️ Is delayed past noon, you can still get in, although your max time is shortened because they do kick everyone out at two.
Old Sep 5, 19, 5:50 am

Programs: BA, VS
I was in the United Lounge at LHR T2 a few weeks back and couldn't help but notice the massive hole being dug on the apron between the main T2 building and the satellite used by United. Anyone know what the work is for?
Old Sep 5, 19, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K, *G, Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Originally Posted by mjuler View Post
I was in the United Lounge at LHR T2 a few weeks back and couldn't help but notice the massive hole being dug on the apron between the main T2 building and the satellite used by United. Anyone know what the work is for?
The barman said it is for a baggage handling thingamajig.
mjuler likes this.
Old Sep 5, 19, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mjuler View Post
It has been like that for at least 6 months to a year!
droopydog and mjuler like this.
Old Sep 5, 19, 10:06 am

It is a UA operated lounge that a few other *A carriers (AC and SA) have an agreement to use.
UA asset tags can also be found on a lot of stuff there, including the power outlets. My impression of the menu is that it caters to both American and British tastes.

OTOH, they don't actively profile it as a UA operated lounge. The choice of the "shared space" wording says enough.
Old Sep 11, 19, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
LHR UC Access Sanity Check ...

I'll be arriving at LHR on United #923 this coming Sunday (depart LAX on Saturday). And I have a connection to GVA that departs some 5 hours later.

It's been a while since I've tried to visit the United Club at LHR on a connection, but I shouldn't have any problem doing it, is that right? (I am a UC member.) My recollection is that I'll have to clear customs and then turn around and walk all the way back to the UC club in terminal 2B. My onward flight should be out of 2A.

Are there any other options open to me? Aside from paid lounges, I think there are not.
Old Sep 11, 19, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by iapetus View Post
I'll be arriving at LHR on United #923 this coming Sunday (depart LAX on Saturday). And I have a connection to GVA that departs some 5 hours later.

It's been a while since I've tried to visit the United Club at LHR on a connection, but I shouldn't have any problem doing it, is that right? (I am a UC member.) My recollection is that I'll have to clear customs and then turn around and walk all the way back to the UC club in terminal 2B. My onward flight should be out of 2A. ...
As a transit passenger, you don't need to clear UK customs but there will be a security check. But you should have no problems getting to the UC.

Are there any other options open to me? Aside from paid lounges, I think there are not.
As *G, you have many options
See Comparative Review of Five Different Star Alliance Lounges at Heathrow T2
Old Sep 11, 19, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
As a transit passenger, you don't need to clear UK customs but there will be a security check. But you should have no problems getting to the UC.
Yeah, I suppose that I was just thinking of the security check. Sloppy writing.

Thanks for passing that along! Looking that thread over, I'm guessing that I'll just spend my time in the United Club, unless I get really bored and want to explore the others ... whatever it takes to make the time pass quickly.

Thanks for the snappy response!
Old Sep 11, 19, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks for passing that along! Looking that thread over, I'm guessing that I'll just spend my time in the United Club, unless I get really bored and want to explore the others ... whatever it takes to make the time pass quickly.

Thanks for the snappy response!
The senator lounge is fine and is in T2A, likely where the GVA flight departs from. It has the advantage of not having to find your way back from T2B.... There are no problems doing it, you just need to pay attention to the signs and get on some elevators.

I personally like the exercise. Others may differ

With 5 hours and a us passport, wouldn't Central London be more fun? If nothing else, there is a good chippy near Paddington.
Old Sep 11, 19, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by ryman554 View Post
...With 5 hours and a us passport, wouldn't Central London be more fun? If nothing else, there is a good chippy near Paddington.
Realistically, probably only 2 1/2 hours in London w/ 2 1/2 hours spent getting to/from airside - it's a good distance from T2 to Heathrow Express or TFL, then 15-25 minutes each way depending on which, plus re-clearing security/immigration on return, and not being late to gate for boarding. Tate Britain (not Modern) probably most convenient to Paddington to kill time. And there's a decent pub a block away towards Vauxhall bridge.

Search this Thread