Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL (United Airlines) 1Q 2014 Results, Discussion, News, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: spin88
So that the numbers don't get lost, here are the current estimates, and 1Q 2013 numbers, and the actual results can be added in the next few days:

DAL – earnings released on 4/23

1Q 2013 results: .10/share - $85M profit
Current 1Q 2014 estimate: .29/share - $244M profit
1Q estimated revenue: $8.92B, 1Q 2013 revenue was $8.5B

Actual results
:

- $281M net income, 33c/share. [Delta's pre-tax income, ex special items was $444M]
- PRASM up 3.5%, yield up 1.7%; domestic yield +5.3%
- ASM +1.7%
- CASM-Ex fuel, profit sharing and special items was + .3%
- Operating Revenue: 8.916B (+5%); Passenger Revenue 7.677B ( up 4.9%)
- $951 in operating cash flow and $390M in free cash, net debt $9.1M
- 2Q projections: Operating margin 14-16%, CASM + 0-2%.

http://ir.delta.com/news-and-events/...t/default.aspx

UAL – earnings released on 4/24

1Q 2013 results: (.98)/share - ($364M) loss
Current 1Q 2014 estimate: (1.35)/share - ($501M) loss
1Q estimated revenue $8.71B; 1Q 2013 revenue was $8.72B.

Actual results:
- ($489M) loss, ($1.33)/share loss ex-special charges
- ($609M) loss, ($1.66)/share GAAP [What the difference is will be interesting]
- PRASM down (2%)
- Yield down (2%)
- Total Revenue down (.3%) to 8.7B
- Passenger revenue down (2.3%) to 7.4B
- ancelary fees income up 7.6%
- CASM +1%
- mainline OT - 74.3%
- 2Q 2014 guidance: PRASM +1-3%.

http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings....731&highlight=

AAL - earnings released on 4/24.

Current 1Q 2014 estimate: .48/share - $226M profit
1Q estimated revenue $10.02B

Actual results
:

- .65/share, $480M profit GAAP
- .54/share, $408M profit excluding one-time items
- Revenue 10B (+5.6% on combined basis)
- yield +3.2% (to 17.03 c/mi)
- PRASM +2.9%
- ASM +2%
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/US CP, United 1K (1MM) , Marriott Plat, Avis Plus

March just hit.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/united...212000376.html

Pretty flat, YoY down. Figure I would bring the conversation into 2014.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
is this good or bad?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/US CP, United 1K (1MM) , Marriott Plat, Avis Plus
Spin88 will have the answer soon, but when they are shedding costs at $2bn and still only squeezing minimal gains for these enchancements, so not really. March 13 over March 14 they are up .7%, but YoY (.3%) and the are still cutting ASM by over 2%.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by travel.flier
is this good or bad?
if you have to ask, you already know
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Alas, shows very little to nothing, the new "investor friendly" mantra... makes me wonder what the street is thinking.

I have been expecting an "investor update" that would have PRASM numbers in it. They used to come out at the end of the third month in the quarter, and I would have expected one last week. Last quarter they put it out on 1/8/14. So no idea, perhaps they update guidance in the next few days.

All this march traffic report shows is that load is down (1.6%) which will put a nice strong headwind on the PRASM numbers. Its notable that load is particularly down internationally (4.3%) which really had to hurt.

perhaps its the lack of free drinks and cutting out the pretzels with the drink service that is killing them.

p.s. they missed their "savvy" 80% OT goal yet again.

p.s.s. United under Jeff has been cutting domestic flying and moving capacity overseas. Yet loads like this says UAL is not filing its planes overseas, and is failing to do so (this month at least) while Delta says it outperformed and had strong PRASM growth in its domestic flying. Will be interesting to see the PRASM numbers in each area when United - at some point - provides them to the market.

Last edited by spin88; Apr 8, 2014 at 3:58 pm
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz Prez
With all their major domestic competitors updating their business products domestically and internationally, AND increasing yield AND PRASM, will United actually be forced to announce something that is legitimately beneficial to customers?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by spin88
Alas, shows very little to nothing, the new "investor friendly" mantra... makes me wonder what the street is thinking.

I have been expecting an "investor update" that would have PRASM numbers in it. They used to come out at the end of the third month in the quarter, and I would have expected one last week. Last quarter they put it out on 1/8/14. So no idea, perhaps they update guidance in the next few days.

All this march traffic report shows is that load is down (1.6%) which will put a nice strong headwind on the PRASM numbers. Its notable that load is particularly down internationally (4.3%) which really had to hurt.

perhaps its the lack of free drinks and cutting out the pretzels with the drink service that is killing them.

We need to wait for the call before jumping to conclusions.

I seem to recall something about Spring Break traffic being impacted by the Easter Bunny coming late or something.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by spin88

odd that international load is so down. so many here have been flying them a lot internationally thanks to a norwegian website guess that was insignificant to traffic. on my $450 ticket to india, both my friend and i had a whole row of 3 to ourself and the plane was empty. if they cant fill a flight to india at $450/seat, that's kind of sad.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by travel.flier
odd that international load is so down.
Uncompetitive or at best, competition matching pricing, with one of the crappiest Y (and J) longhaul products in the world ... not that odd.

Last edited by rankourabu; Apr 8, 2014 at 5:24 pm
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by channa
We need to wait for the call before jumping to conclusions.

I seem to recall something about Spring Break traffic being impacted by the Easter Bunny coming late or something.
We should know something in the next few days, unless they are not going to update their guidance and instead simply let the earnings release speak for them. (And no major airline does that, at least not yet. )

The spring break thing is more fun than that. They put out an "investor update" on 1/8/14 and then in early February said they oops, we will actually be dramatically under-performing everyone else, and they had overestimated PRASM. Spring break had been moved back a quarter was one of the reasons, I guess its a good thing they figured it out in February, rather than waiting for quarters end to figure it out. One of the better "the dog ate my homework" stories this management team has come up with.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
United posts operational results for March

For those following United's performance, this just came out (via our newsroom) and cargo revenue was significantly up although United's load factor was down.

United Load Factor Down in March

United Airlines announced operational results for March 2014. The Chicago-based carrier reported a year-over-year increase in system traffic of 0.7%, and capacity of 2.7%, while its load factor decreased by 1.6 percentage points.

The airline’s total system traffic for the month was 17.46 billion revenue passenger miles, or RPMs, up from 17.34 billion RPMs in March 2013. ...

<SNIP>
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I thought the idea was to get ASMs to go down and load factors go up, not the other way around.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
I thought the idea was to get ASMs to go down and load factors go up, not the other way around.
Yes, but they're not doing anything that would cause that. For that to happen, they'd need to provide a product and service people want to use.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
an expected bad quarter. Thousands and thousands of flight cancellations across DEN-ORD-CLE-EWR/IAD almost per storm.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CALMSP
an expected bad quarter. Thousands and thousands of flight cancellations across DEN-ORD-CLE-EWR/IAD almost per storm.
Yet thousands of flight cancellations across other carriers as well, and so far their prelims don't look at bad...

Sad if the employee base is starting to buy into management's excuses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.