Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No More Full Cans of Beverages for Passengers on United/UnitedExpress?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Post 64 in this thread: Post by UA Insider:
"Hi everyone,

This is always subject to change, but right now our policy remains to offer the full can if the customer requests it.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines"
Print Wikipost

No More Full Cans of Beverages for Passengers on United/UnitedExpress?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:21 pm

Programs: Won Kay
I was thinking of this thread today when I was flying ORD-HNL on UA 219. I was in F, and true to form, the FAs would not give out cans of coke. They'd pour a glass, and then put the can back on the cart. Of course, they had beverage service before the meal, and by the time I actually got my food, my glass was empty. I could actually see the open can on the cart, and when I asked for more Diet Coke, she opened a new can.

Now, had I ordered a beer, I would've been given the can -- at least of the 4 people I could see in F who had beers, they all had the can.

Which is weird. I think on average, beer is more expensive than soda -- so no cost savings there, UA. Whatever twenty-something wunderkind business school grad did the bean counting on how many billions UA would save by not giving out cans of soda...well, lets just double check those transcripts, shall we?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by roadkit
I was thinking of this thread today when I was flying ORD-HNL on UA 219. I was in F, and true to form, the FAs would not give out cans of coke. They'd pour a glass, and then put the can back on the cart. Of course, they had beverage service before the meal, and by the time I actually got my food, my glass was empty. I could actually see the open can on the cart, and when I asked for more Diet Coke, she opened a new can.

Now, had I ordered a beer, I would've been given the can -- at least of the 4 people I could see in F who had beers, they all had the can.

Which is weird. I think on average, beer is more expensive than soda -- so no cost savings there, UA. Whatever twenty-something wunderkind business school grad did the bean counting on how many billions UA would save by not giving out cans of soda...well, lets just double check those transcripts, shall we?
Did you ask for the can?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:18 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Can the airlines just get to the bottom already! The slow drip is awful!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

Just like removal of free hard liquor on transpac. The latter isn't a big deal to me but I certainly don't diss others who feel otherwise.
Likewise a change I like. I don't want to pay for others bar bill..if you want to drink and travel, pay your own way. They are generous enough with drink chits, after all.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Funny. I see it as a candidate for "Least substantial thing....." Up there with blankets and food ordering....
No is just another downgrade for UNITED travelers who were used to better service before the merger! PMCO tarvelers were used to less service in general, so for them it may seem silly to request a better product!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pi7473000
No is just another downgrade for UNITED travelers who were used to better service before the merger! PMCO tarvelers were used to less service in general, so for them it may seem silly to request a better product!
What do you mean PMCO travelers were used to less service? Where in the world did you come up with such a ridiculous answer? Have you ever flown CO? Me thinks you haven't as you make this ridiculous claims but yet they aren't true. On the CO side on a TATL flight you would have at least 5 full beverage runs 2 meals, water runs etc. Longer flights will get twice as much so no clue where you came up with such a bogus answer.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
What do you mean PMCO travelers were used to less service? Where in the world did you come up with such a ridiculous answer? Have you ever flown CO? Me thinks you haven't as you make this ridiculous claims but yet they aren't true. On the CO side on a TATL flight you would have at least 5 full beverage runs 2 meals, water runs etc. Longer flights will get twice as much so no clue where you came up with such a bogus answer.
Right. Our criticisms should be directed at the way the merger has been implemented and the way in which the merged entity managed, not some fictional version of how either airline used to do things.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, TK Elite, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Avis First
Flew SFO->BOS yesterday in E+ and FA explicitly asked everyone if they wanted the full can.

Maybe it's new policy to combat the FT conspiracy theorists.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pi7473000

I flew NRT-SIN and reverse on sCO this summer and no water runs, no cans, 3 beverage service. And one FA actually counted 2 napkins when I asked for a few.

2 different crews. Like mikayla, I was not impressed.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I flew NRT-SIN and reverse on sCO this summer and no water runs, no cans, 3 beverage service. And one FA actually counted 2 napkins when I asked for a few.

2 different crews. Like mikayla, I was not impressed.
I do see and understand where your coming from, but the poster I was quoting seems to say anything and everything he can say about CO but doesn't seem like he actually flown on any CO metal while you have. By the way on flights I work I always make sure there's full services, cans are given out (without having to ask) napkins etc. Oh and I don't count either if you ask for a few a napkins you will get a few napkins I don't got no time to stand there and count "1, 2, 3" etc.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 5:07 am

I do see and understand where your coming from, but the poster I was quoting seems to say anything and everything he can say about CO but doesn't seem like he actually flown on any CO metal while you have. By the way on flights I work I always make sure there's full services, cans are given out (without having to ask) napkins etc. Oh and I don't count either if you ask for a few a napkins you will get a few napkins I don't got no time to stand there and count "1, 2, 3" etc.
Jose..when you see people throwing around pre merger this and that, just ignore the graspers for the pasters....

There is one Airline, United,and other discussion about TWA was better than pre-DOS 2.0 SQ belongs on HT.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: MYOB
Is it really that difficult?

Originally Posted by Kacee
Did you ask for the can?
No kidding.

Flight last evening ORD-ROC
Mainline 737

Flight Attendant: Sir may I get you something to drink?
Me: Yes, I'd like a can of Tonic with lime please.
Flight Attendant: Certainly. (Pours a glass full, puts a lime in, hands me the glass and the remainder of the can). There you are sir.

I'm not seeing where this is complicated or dramatic.
It's the way I have placed an order for years. Fairly simple, leaves no question that a full can is desired, and allows the FA to meet your request.

Next.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by xzh445
No kidding.

Mainline 737

Flight Attendant: Certainly. (Pours a glass full, puts a lime in, hands me the glass and the remainder of the can). There you are sir.

It's the way I have placed an order for years. Fairly simple, leaves no question that a full can is desired, and allows the FA to meet your request.

Next.
Ah, but it is so much more satisfying to stew silently for the entire flight because the FA did not offer you a can, then come on FT and complain about how miserable the service was.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by Kacee
Ah, but it is so much more satisfying to stew silently for the entire flight because the FA did not offer you a can, then come on FT and complain about how miserable the service was.
Well...there IS that.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by xzh445
No kidding.

Mainline 737

Next.
It's not complicated at all. And you have proven that mainline service is better than RJs, too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.