Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No More Full Cans of Beverages for Passengers on United/UnitedExpress?

Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Post 64 in this thread: Post by UA Insider:
"Hi everyone,

This is always subject to change, but right now our policy remains to offer the full can if the customer requests it.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines"
Print Wikipost

No More Full Cans of Beverages for Passengers on United/UnitedExpress?

Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: UA, TSA-Pre, Global Entry
Want to find the easiest way to look cheap?

If management thinks this is a good way to save money... I have no idea what to say. This is such poor management.

I have not received the can on my last 10+ legs. I really didn't care one way or the other, but it left me feeling UA is really scrapping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to "saving" money.

Really sad.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
My last flight to PHX, I asked for a ginger-ale and after she gave me the cup she actallly asked if I wanted the whole can. I was also in 7F on a a320 so it wasn't like I was one of the last to get served.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
To summarize this thread: absolutely nothing has changed. You can have a whole can if you want it. Sometimes you may have to ask, other times they'll just give it to you.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
To summarize this thread: absolutely nothing has changed. You can have a whole can if you want it. Sometimes you may have to ask, other times they'll just give it to you.
incorrect, things have changed. Prior to this you were to recieve the whole can, not the FA have been instructed to only if asked....thats a BIG change.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Ag
In F/C I usually get a very full glass of whatever I've ordered. If I'm going straight non alcoholic I'll often be asked if I want the can. I always assume its because real estate is tight, or you know, I may not want a can. Either way.

Is this really a thing or just the usual inconsistencies?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, National EE
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
incorrect, things have changed. Prior to this you were to recieve the whole can, not the FA have been instructed to only if asked....thats a BIG change.
I don't feel that this is a recent change.

I only started flying UA in January, but I'd say about 75% of my flights they only gave people cups unless they asked for a can. I've never had an issue getting the can when I ask.

Plus, the starting point of this thread was the idea that United refused to give out cans when asked, which doesn't appear to be the case. So, I'm on SEA1K4EVR's side.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by coutura
I don't feel that this is a recent change.

I only started flying UA in January, but I'd say about 75% of my flights they only gave people cups unless they asked for a can. I've never had an issue getting the can when I ask.

Plus, the starting point of this thread was the idea that United refused to give out cans when asked, which doesn't appear to be the case. So, I'm on SEA1K4EVR's side.
+1. I've seen this plenty, and for a while.

And to the extent that it is a change, it's one I like. Plenty of people don't want a full can, and it just gets in the way and creates an additional spill risk. For a long time now, I've specifically asked for a can, and never had any trouble getting it. As long as that stays true, I don't see the problem.

Just because a change reduces costs doesn't mean it's terrible and must be hated.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA DULtArer
Holding the can on the cart also reduces the pickup trash trip as well, of course.

Not getting a whole can of soda a BIG Change??

To some, apparently.

Just used two expired wine chits on my last ORD flight, too....
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
Why is this a big deal? Is it that hard to ask for a can if you want it? I've never been denied or received a dirty look when asking for a can.

In my experience, AC and US also provide cans only upon request.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:14 pm

Not to belittle the seriousness of the thread, but the whole discussion brings to mind the opening of "Up in the Air"....

FA: "Would you like the cancer?"
Clooney: "Huh?"
FA: "Would you like the cancer?"
Clooney: "What?"
FA: "Would you like the CAN, Sir?!"

Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-ber-elite status
Last week--SFO-DCA Y pmCO FA: Would you like the can? Me: Yes, please.

This week--IAD-SFO Y pmUA FA: Would you like the can? Me: Yes, please.

Struck me as being oddly dejavuistic.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JohnnyGlobal
Yup. FA last week said this is the new policy. If you want the can, you have to ask for it (and they are supposed to give it to you without any hesitation). The FA handled it well...she would say, "can I get you something to drink"...and then when she gave you the glass, she would follow it up with, "is that going to be o.k. for you?" At that point, you either acknowledged that you were fine, or, asked for the can.

I'm fine with this. Not everyone wants/needs the whole can. As long as I get the can without any drama, I don't mind that the default is glass only.
I completely agree with this if it is consistent, but IME in the past few years there have only really been 2 consistencies from United:

1. Inconsistent service
2. Landing safely
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Not sure if this is a pattern, but I've noticed that when I'm on a transcon, I get the whole can without asking. On short flights, sometimes they give me the cup, sometimes I get the can. I assume they hand out the can on the longer flights so they can wait a longer before the second service.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I disagree. On every flight MsHalls120 and I have been on this year, MsHalls120(a diet coke fiend) has always been asked if she would like the whole can. If they are now only giving up the whole can upon request, that is a change.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Baze
Soda? Or slang use of the term for a bathroom? If soda won't give you the can or soda is now coming in pouches for them to serve from or a rolling soda fountain?
Remind me of this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri791tauGmU

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.