Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United not honoring Mileage Credit request

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

I have been looking for a legit answer to this everywhere.

I bought a one way ticket from Miami to Chicago through US Air. The fly date was on march 17th when US Air was still in the Star Alliance. The flight was on an AA plane but the ticket was coded through US Air. When I bought the ticket, I used my United Mileage plus number thinking that I could still get credit for the flight. It registered on the site but since I have taken that flight it has not registered to my account. I sent in a Mileage Request form to United and they said they cannot honor it since I flew on a AA flight.

Is this right? Even though I bought through US Air, they are not going to honor my mileage on a star alliance flight? They also didn't honor our status when we got to the airport and made us check a bag even though I was gold. Anybody else get this?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The operating carrier determines the alliance and partnership. Since this was an AA flight, your United status does not help.

They were right to charge you for the bag, and United is right to deny you the mileage.

Sorry.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA is correct. You cannot get MP credit for a flight that was operated by AA. The fact US sold it as a codeshare is irrelevant. It was not a *A flight. It was a OW flight.

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott P, SPG G
You know it's an AA plane. So what are you asking for? UA Miles for an AA flight?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The crazy world of codeshare gets even crazier when an airline is codesharing with different alliances. While you would think flight numbers and purchasing airlines would mean something, it does not in the Star Alliance. As others have pointed out -- it is who operated the flight and which program you are crediting to that matters. Easy to think it should be different but that's the system (and if you read all the crazy footnotes and fine print, it there).
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
You should at least be able to request retroactive credit from either US or AA.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cyanchan15
You know it's an AA plane. So what are you asking for? UA Miles for an AA flight?
Is it genuinely surprising to you that the situation was confusing for people?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Yeah I think most people are confused by the concept of codeshare. Add in a merger and a switch in alliances and it's pretty much hopeless.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Particularly since other alliances work the other way.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Particularly since other alliances work the other way.
Exactly.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:13 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Isn't this a consolidated illegal code share lottery?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Isn't this a consolidated illegal code share lottery?
I'm not really sure what that means, but I cannot see anything here which would be illegal. If the operating carrier was properly disclosed and known by the customer - and in this case it was done - there's nothing illegal about it.

The earning rate rules can be confusing and *A does it differently than ST/OW, but none of it is illegal IMO.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
I'm not really sure what that means, but I cannot see anything here which would be illegal. If the operating carrier was properly disclosed and known by the customer - and in this case it was done - there's nothing illegal about it.

The earning rate rules can be confusing and *A does it differently than ST/OW, but none of it is illegal IMO.
Lolz, wherein Seth responds seriously to one of LaserSailor's three jokes-of-the-morning.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: MP
I was in the same situation two weeks ago. I bought ticket through US Airways and provided my UA MP number. However, the plane was operated by AA Eagle. To date, miles have not posted to my UA account
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by v1rok
I was in the same situation two weeks ago. I bought ticket through US Airways and provided my UA MP number. However, the plane was operated by AA Eagle. To date, miles have not posted to my UA account
And they won't. Claim them with AA or US. You're not going to get them on UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.