Access to LH / SK Lounge at EWR

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 22, 22, 1:53 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Both lounges open at 1 PM (as of 9/2/18), TSA at Terminal B is not open until 12:30 at the earliest.

SAS Lounge: After Security Gate/Area: B60

Lufthansa Lounge: After Security Gate/Area: B68

Both are located at satellite B3:

Going to LH or SAS lounge from various points:
From Terminal B International arrivals: walk to B3 security;
From Terminal B's United Gates: walk out of B1 security and enter B3 security;
From Terminal A: United airside shuttle or outside AirTrain train to Terminal B;
From Terminal C: United airside shuttle or outside AirTrain train to Terminal B;
(Note: there are two shuttles; only taking the shuttle to Terminal B and ask the driver to drop off at B3's LH lounge entry; not the United gates at B1).

Return to Terminal A or C: Airtrain train only.

The following was copied from west_end_NYC post.

I made my first visit trip to the EWR Termimal B Senators lounge last Friday as I had an extra hour to burn (notes: calculate your total journey time from different entry points; too risky with short layover time at EWR) before an 8:35PM flight out of Terminal C. I found the process of acccessing the lounge and getting over to Terminal C quite seamless:

- TSA at Terminal B scanned my UA paper boarding pass and reviewed my ID - no questions asked and was immediately let through.

- Note there is no TSA Pre-Check at Terminal B for the international gates so had to remove shoes, etc, and clear through the full body scanner. There was only a short line so only took ~10 minutes to clear through security.

- Proceeded to the LH lounge and showed my MP Gold card and UA BP at the check-in desk and again, no questions asked, and was invited to head into the Senators lounge to the left of the desk.

- Nice food spread including two entree choices, sandwich choices, and self-serve wine, beer and liquor with several varieties. Not quite the quality of the new Amex Centurion lounges I have visited but far better than anything available at the EWR UC, particularly noting it was all complimentary.

- The journey over to Terminal C was much easier than I anticpated and considerably faster than the 1 hour transit time referenced in earlier posts. I took the Airtrain one stop to Terminal C. Door-to-door from the LH lounge to the UC right past security took just 15 minutes (the C-3 Pre-Check line was not very long).

Notes: allow plenty of time for your return journey because time for passing security at Terminals A and C varies greatly, depending upon the time of day. Terminal A does not have a full PreCheck.

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 14, 16, 2:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
And tell us about your return to Terminal C. I presume you were able to avoid the AirTrain on that direction.
Nope, AFAIK the AirTrain is always required when traveling B>C. But PreCheck in C took literally 15 seconds.
Old Dec 14, 16, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone View Post
Nope, AFAIK the AirTrain is always required when traveling B>C. But PreCheck in C took literally 15 seconds.
The bus will drop you off at B but it will nt pick up there.
Old Dec 15, 16, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
The bus will drop you off at B but it will nt pick up there.
Right, that's what I was trying to convey! Not that I'm an expert, after my fumbling yesterday.
Old Jan 3, 17, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I am flying UA in J from EWR-FRA in 2.5 weeks. Any point in heading over to the LH line? Checking a bag so would have to go to GS checkin at EWR anyway. How long does it take to get from B to C by AirTrain? And the return trip. Consensus seems to be about 15-20 minutes. Is it worth it?
Old Jan 3, 17, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan View Post
Is it worth it?
If you have a >3-hour layover I'd say so, as I mentioned a few posts back. The significant downside is that if there's a full flight departing from Terminal B and you're stuck behind them, as I was, the wait for security can be daunting. I think my experience was far outside the norm, but you can be sure I'll use the FlightBoard app to gauge when flights are departing next time I try it.
Old Jan 3, 17, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I have PreCheck so would hopefully be a little faster.
Old Jan 3, 17, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan View Post
I have PreCheck so would hopefully be a little faster.
There's no PreCheck at EWR Terminal B. I'd take a read through the thread if I were you. Sums up the downsides of such an excursion nicely.
Old Jan 3, 17, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone View Post
There's no PreCheck at EWR Terminal B. I'd take a read through the thread if I were you. Sums up the downsides of such an excursion nicely.
There is a bus from C to the proper area f B ... so you can use the Pre line at C and get to B., You do have to exit the secure area and reclear after your visit as there is no bus back to C (or A) from B.
Old Jan 4, 17, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
There is a bus from C to the proper area f B ... so you can use the Pre line at C and get to B., You do have to exit the secure area and reclear after your visit as there is no bus back to C (or A) from B.
But as mentioned in the thread above, there's no guarantee the C>B bus dragon will let you on.

I feel like we had this discussion in mid-December.
Old Jan 4, 17, 6:48 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Please refer to Wiki on this thread that I just added. Most of your questions are answered there. Enjoy the trip to LH/SAS lounge.
Old Mar 3, 17, 7:42 am

What's your experience wrt. needing actual plastic Gold card (vs using boarding pass or virtual card in the phone app)?
Old Mar 3, 17, 12:13 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
I beleive the lounge opens at 1:30pm but the C>B bus does not stop there until 2:30pm. If you need to clear security at B-3 try go through after the El Al flight has boarded. There is a slow time for that concourse between El Al's flight and the Europe flights around 4:00pm.
Old Mar 3, 17, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by br2k View Post
What's your experience wrt. needing actual plastic Gold card (vs using boarding pass or virtual card in the phone app)?
I'm *A and use my e boarding pass whenever using the Lounge in FRA, I would assume it would work in the US as well? (I also carry my UA *A card along with my UC card just in case--but have yet to have to produce it.)
Old Mar 3, 17, 3:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by mauld View Post
I'm *A and use my e boarding pass whenever using the Lounge in FRA, I would assume it would work in the US as well? (I also carry my UA *A card along with my UC card just in case--but have yet to have to produce it.)
LH lounge agents are notorious for asking for the physical *G card but in my experience, the EWR LH lounge does not ask for the card, just your boarding pass.
Old Mar 3, 17, 7:38 pm

UA still have not sent me a card this year (and by the looks of it - never will). So, got to use something else.

Search this Thread