Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Both lounges open at 1 PM (as of 9/2/18), TSA at Terminal B is not open until 12:30 at the earliest.

SAS Lounge: After Security Gate/Area: B60

Lufthansa Lounge: After Security Gate/Area: B68

Both are located at satellite B3:

Going to LH or SAS lounge from various points:
From Terminal B International arrivals: walk to B3 security;
From Terminal B's United Gates: walk out of B1 security and enter B3 security;
From Terminal A: United airside shuttle or outside AirTrain train to Terminal B;
From Terminal C: United airside shuttle or outside AirTrain train to Terminal B;
(Note: there are two shuttles; only taking the shuttle to Terminal B and ask the driver to drop off at B3's LH lounge entry; not the United gates at B1).

Return to Terminal A or C: Airtrain train only.

The following was copied from west_end_NYC post.

I made my first visit trip to the EWR Termimal B Senators lounge last Friday as I had an extra hour to burn (notes: calculate your total journey time from different entry points; too risky with short layover time at EWR) before an 8:35PM flight out of Terminal C. I found the process of acccessing the lounge and getting over to Terminal C quite seamless:

- TSA at Terminal B scanned my UA paper boarding pass and reviewed my ID - no questions asked and was immediately let through.

- Note there is no TSA Pre-Check at Terminal B for the international gates so had to remove shoes, etc, and clear through the full body scanner. There was only a short line so only took ~10 minutes to clear through security.

- Proceeded to the LH lounge and showed my MP Gold card and UA BP at the check-in desk and again, no questions asked, and was invited to head into the Senators lounge to the left of the desk.

- Nice food spread including two entree choices, sandwich choices, and self-serve wine, beer and liquor with several varieties. Not quite the quality of the new Amex Centurion lounges I have visited but far better than anything available at the EWR UC, particularly noting it was all complimentary.

- The journey over to Terminal C was much easier than I anticpated and considerably faster than the 1 hour transit time referenced in earlier posts. I took the Airtrain one stop to Terminal C. Door-to-door from the LH lounge to the UC right past security took just 15 minutes (the C-3 Pre-Check line was not very long).

Notes: allow plenty of time for your return journey because time for passing security at Terminals A and C varies greatly, depending upon the time of day. Terminal A does not have a full PreCheck.

Print Wikipost

Access to LH / SK Lounge at EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I am going to have a 5 hour layover at EWR this Sunday, 3pm to 8pm. Is it worth going over to LH lounge in Terminal B? I don't mind the UCs, but they just gets so darn crowded it is not enjoyable at all. Also, I would like to get some decent dinner at the club.

Thoughts?
Old Jun 4, 2016, 2:51 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by blueman2
I am going to have a 5 hour layover at EWR this Sunday, 3pm to 8pm. Is it worth going over to LH lounge in Terminal B? I don't mind the UCs, but they just gets so darn crowded it is not enjoyable at all. Also, I would like to get some decent dinner at the club.

Thoughts?
I would do it, just allow yourself ample time to get through security again (i.e. leave the lounge at 6pm).
Old Jun 4, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
If you fly out Terminal A, the security there could be nightmare even if you have TSA pre-check. There is no separate lines for Pre-check. One hour is little bit too tight for clearing security at either C or A terminal.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by blueman2

Thoughts?
totally worth it for the time you'll be spending there.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
FYI, I did go over to the LH lounge today. It was packed, no seats, and about a dozen or more people standing. But I did try out a plate of the food. It was EXCEPTIONAL!! In an entirely different class than UCs. I found it to be better than the LH food service at IAD. So even when crowded, I highly recommend the place!

I was able to take the bus over from C. When they asked where I was going (they have people on the top floor asking for boarding passes), I said gate A. They took my BP that clearly said gate C, but still said 'go down the elevator". I went down and asked for the B bus, and they pointed me to the one to the right. It turns out it stopped at both B and A (in that order) and anyone could get out at B if they wanted. Took only about 5 minutes to get to the lounge once on the bus.

Getting back was harder. Took about 30 minutes. I was TSA PRE but the line was pretty bad. But I figure 30 minutes LH to UC was not too bad and totally worth the trip.

Last edited by blueman2; Jun 5, 2016 at 4:47 pm
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:22 pm

Hey guys, quick question.

This is 100% related to the latest discussion but it's close enough, so apologies if I accidentally break up the conversation.

I have a United Club Membership (paid no credit card involved) and I want to access the LH Business Lounge at EWR (I'm departing from B on LX so I don't have to worry about the shuttle bus or anything like that).

Anyway I have two questions:

1) Which lounge is better for a two hour visit, the LH Business Lounge or the SAS Lounge?

2) Do any of those lounges not know the somewhat hidden rule that United Club members get access there? I have my United Club card and I will have my LX boarding pass, but what should I do if these lounges are un-familiar with the benefit and deny entry (or do they know the rule pretty well?)

Thanks!
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
... 1) Which lounge is better for a two hour visit, the LH Business Lounge or the SAS Lounge? ...
In the past the LH lounge has generally gotten the pick. The two lounges are close to each other and easy to visit both.
One post - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25737872-post28.html

... 2) Do any of those lounges not know the somewhat hidden rule that United Club members get access there? I have my United Club card and I will have my LX boarding pass, but what should I do if these lounges are un-familiar with the benefit and deny entry (or do they know the rule pretty well?) ...
Don't worry, you will be far from the first UC member at those lounges and there have not been reported any access issues (unlike *A SFO lounges).
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In the past the LH lounge has generally gotten the pick. The two lounges are close to each other and easy to visit both.
One post - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25737872-post28.html

Don't worry, you will be far from the first UC member at those lounges and there have not been reported any access issues (unlike *A SFO lounges).

Just to confirm though, LH Senator access is not accessible through the UA Club membership right? I believe only LH Business.

Maybe I am wrong because your link was talking about food & amenities from the Senator Lounge.

Either way thanks for the help!
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Just to confirm though, LH Senator access is not accessible through the UA Club membership right? I believe only LH Business.
That's correct. You need Star Gold status to use the Senator lounge. The amenities are mostly the same in the business lounge, even though it's a bit more cramped and there's a more restricted food selection (and typically no hot food.)

The SAS lounge is *much* larger than the LH lounge. The Senator lounge definitely superior, but between the LH business lounge and the SAS lounge, it's more of a toss-up. They both have pros and cons. You can visit both, and nobody will ask any questions.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt GLobalist
I made my first visit trip to the EWR Termimal B Senators lounge last Friday as I had an extra hour to burn before an 8:35PM flight out of Terminal C. I found the process of acccessing the lounge and getting over to Terminal C quite seamless:
- TSA at Terminal B scanned my UA paper boarding pass and reviewed my ID - no questions asked and was immediately let through.
- Note there is no TSA Pre-Check at Terminal B for the international gates so had to remove shoes, etc, and clear through the full body scanner. There was only a short line so only took ~10 minutes to clear through security.
- Proceeded to the LH lounge and showed my MP Gold card and UA BP at the check-in desk and again, no questions asked, and was invited to head into the Senators lounge to the left of the desk.
- Nice food spread including two entree choices, sandwich choices, and self-serve wine, beer and liquor with several varieties. Not quite the quality of the new Amex Centurion lounges I have visited but far better than anything available at the EWR UC, particularly noting it was all complimentary.
- The journey over to Terminal C was much easier than I anticpated and considerably faster than the 1 hour transit time referenced in earlier posts. I took the Airtrain one stop to Terminal C. Door-to-door from the LH lounge to the UC right past security took just 15 minutes (the C-3 Pre-Check line was not very long).
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
EWR - SFO 7pm Saturday

I was wondering if it was possible to access the LH Senator lounge as a UA *G. Do I need a paper boarding pass or does the electronic one work? I saw that Terminal B has pre-check? Do I need to bring my physical FFF card or does the electronic one in the UA app work or just the boarding pass even?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Yes but it is not connected to the UA gates and you have to re-clear security.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by VWang1111
I was wondering if it was possible to access the LH Senator lounge as a UA *G. Do I need a paper boarding pass or does the electronic one work? I saw that Terminal B has pre-check? Do I need to bring my physical FFF card or does the electronic one in the UA app work or just the boarding pass even?
You BP usually works, but bring the card just in case.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Just thought I'd relate my tale of woe -- and eventual redemption -- accessing the LH lounge this afternoon. I tried to take the shuttle bus to Terminal B as suggested, but apparently there are two separate buses these days, one for A and one for B; at least that was the excuse when the bus dragon demanded my boarding pass before letting me onboard. I mentioned that I was just going to use the Lufthansa lounge, and she insisted it was pre-security. I told her I was certain it was airside, and she began loudly berating me, angrily insisting she knew where it was, and that I had to take the AirTrain.

It gets worse.

I happened to arrive at security just before the LY flight to Tel Aviv, and there was a crowd five deep taking photos with a celebrity rabbi before he boarded. No PreCheck either, natch. It took an hour.

When I arrived though, it was worth the wait. I was the first guest admitted, and I had the place to myself from 1-3pm. Most enjoyable. I particularly commend them for their vegetarian selection. The curries were fantastic!

sgopal2 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Just thought I'd relate my tale of woe -- and eventual redemption -- accessing the LH lounge this afternoon. I tried to take the shuttle bus to Terminal B as suggested, but apparently there are two separate buses these days, one for A and one for B; at least that was the excuse when the bus dragon demanded my boarding pass before letting me onboard. I mentioned that I was just going to use the Lufthansa lounge, and she insisted it was pre-security. I told her I was certain it was airside, and she began loudly berating me, angrily insisting she knew where it was, and that I had to take the AirTrain.

It gets worse.

I happened to arrive at security just before the LY flight to Tel Aviv, and there was a crowd five deep taking photos with a celebrity rabbi before he boarded. No PreCheck either, natch. It took an hour.

When I arrived though, it was worth the wait....
I wonder if said rabbi will make the celebrity sightings thread (if there is one) in the LY forum?

And tell us about your return to Terminal C. I presume you were able to avoid the AirTrain on that direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.