Access to LH / SK Lounge at EWR

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 22, 22, 1:53 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Both lounges open at 1 PM (as of 9/2/18), TSA at Terminal B is not open until 12:30 at the earliest.

SAS Lounge: After Security Gate/Area: B60

Lufthansa Lounge: After Security Gate/Area: B68

Both are located at satellite B3:

Going to LH or SAS lounge from various points:
From Terminal B International arrivals: walk to B3 security;
From Terminal B's United Gates: walk out of B1 security and enter B3 security;
From Terminal A: United airside shuttle or outside AirTrain train to Terminal B;
From Terminal C: United airside shuttle or outside AirTrain train to Terminal B;
(Note: there are two shuttles; only taking the shuttle to Terminal B and ask the driver to drop off at B3's LH lounge entry; not the United gates at B1).

Return to Terminal A or C: Airtrain train only.

The following was copied from west_end_NYC post.

I made my first visit trip to the EWR Termimal B Senators lounge last Friday as I had an extra hour to burn (notes: calculate your total journey time from different entry points; too risky with short layover time at EWR) before an 8:35PM flight out of Terminal C. I found the process of acccessing the lounge and getting over to Terminal C quite seamless:

- TSA at Terminal B scanned my UA paper boarding pass and reviewed my ID - no questions asked and was immediately let through.

- Note there is no TSA Pre-Check at Terminal B for the international gates so had to remove shoes, etc, and clear through the full body scanner. There was only a short line so only took ~10 minutes to clear through security.

- Proceeded to the LH lounge and showed my MP Gold card and UA BP at the check-in desk and again, no questions asked, and was invited to head into the Senators lounge to the left of the desk.

- Nice food spread including two entree choices, sandwich choices, and self-serve wine, beer and liquor with several varieties. Not quite the quality of the new Amex Centurion lounges I have visited but far better than anything available at the EWR UC, particularly noting it was all complimentary.

- The journey over to Terminal C was much easier than I anticpated and considerably faster than the 1 hour transit time referenced in earlier posts. I took the Airtrain one stop to Terminal C. Door-to-door from the LH lounge to the UC right past security took just 15 minutes (the C-3 Pre-Check line was not very long).

Notes: allow plenty of time for your return journey because time for passing security at Terminals A and C varies greatly, depending upon the time of day. Terminal A does not have a full PreCheck.

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 17, 16, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
We went to the LH lounge at EWR a few months ago traveling on United domestic.
We had to clear security at Terminal B as we were not allowed on the intra terminal bus.

Lounge was nice, Senator lounge was rather small and packed with so many LH flights.

No one questioned us, when entering Terminal B. We told TSA that we were using the lounge here and the LH staff the same thing.

It does take quite a while to get back to Terminal C, I would suggest to leave at least an hour before your scheduled departure.

When we got back to the Terminal C, we were there during the evening rush, it took almost 25 minutes just to clear security and that even with TSA Pre, otherwise I would definitely recommend to do the lounge as it is much better than any United Club in the States...
Old Jan 18, 16, 8:10 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
EWR LH lounge

My wife, an infrequent traveler, went there by herself yesterday, of course, with my instruction. Just make sure that you will leave sufficient amount of time to go back to Terminal C. Happy travel.
Old Jan 18, 16, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stefan76 View Post
It does take quite a while to get back to Terminal C, I would suggest to leave at least an hour before your scheduled departure.

When we got back to the Terminal C, we were there during the evening rush, it took almost 25 minutes just to clear security and that even with TSA Pre,
IMHO, 1 hour is way too short.
It takes some 15+ minutes from the time you leave the lounge to get to the security line at C. Then all needed is some snafu there or getting some extra recognition from TSA, followed by another walk to a remote gate and as of a sudden you're last to board - if at all. Not to mention there's typically no overhead bins space to be found by final boarding time anyway.

I'd not cut it below 1h30.
Old Jan 18, 16, 12:03 pm

Where / who are the 'shuttle dragons' — the staff standing at the top of the stairway down to the shuttle? Never encountered one. Maybe just lucky.
Old Jan 18, 16, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Where / who are the 'shuttle dragons' — the staff standing at the top of the stairway down to the shuttle? Never encountered one. Maybe just lucky.
IME, they are standing just by the door to go outside and board the bus. They tend to examine your boarding pass and have been known to deny a ride on the bus if you are not heading to the gate shown on your BP.
Old Jan 18, 16, 1:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
IME, they are standing just by the door to go outside and board the bus. They tend to examine your boarding pass and have been known to deny a ride on the bus if you are not heading to the gate shown on your BP.
I've seen them a lot when I take the ABE bus, which also departs from that gate (C72 maybe???) They are indeed very happy to not allow you on the bus if your boarding pass is not for the appropriate terminal.

They make lounge dragons look polite sometimes IME.
Old Jan 18, 16, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
Originally Posted by Cargojon View Post
I've seen them a lot when I take the ABE bus, which also departs from that gate (C72 maybe???) They are indeed very happy to not allow you on the bus if your boarding pass is not for the appropriate terminal.

They make lounge dragons look polite sometimes IME.
Haven't had that experience, somehow; they have only ever done a verbal check for me. Of course now I'll surely be stopped next time I am in Newark.
Old Jan 19, 16, 1:03 pm

A quick report: I breezed through a quiet security at Terminal B, arriving to the LH Senator Lounge at about 2pm. It was virtually empty. The food and drinks were plentiful and exponentially better than most US lounges. The space is not large, but it was empty so I had the whole place to myself. I had a couple of glasses of delicious Pinot Noir with some tasty snacks, but then it was time to leave. It ended up taking me 1 hour from getting up from my lounge seat to sitting on my UA plane seat departing from Terminal C#80. Clearing security in C was very hectic at about 4pm on Mon Jan 18th. That was kind of a buzz kill. But still the LH lounge is a nice place if you have a few hours at EWR airpot
Old Jan 19, 16, 1:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Forgive me if I missed it, but Terminal B TSA has no issues with visiting the LH lounge when your flight departs from C?
Old Jan 19, 16, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Access to LH Lounge at EWR

I was tempted on getting off the EWR inter-terminal bus when it stopped at Terminal B.... I assume if you get off you have no way on getting a bus to pick u up where it dropped u off at B?
Old Jan 19, 16, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 764toHI View Post
Forgive me if I missed it, but Terminal B TSA has no issues with visiting the LH lounge when your flight departs from C?
No.

Originally Posted by sanfran8080 View Post
. I assume if you get off you have no way on getting a bus to pick u up where it dropped u off at B?
If your question is: "Can I use the bus going back to C, e.g. after visiting the LH lounge", the answer is "no".
You need to exit Terminal B and reenter Terminal C via security.
Old Jan 20, 16, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
In my experience the shuttle dragons typically just do a verbal check and don't insist on looking at your BP. Just tell them you're going to terminal A, then get off at B.

It's as simple as that. *No one else* will question you - a boarding pass gives you access to all terminals at EWR. TSA doesn't care, and neither do the lounge agents. The bus policy is nonsense.

Coming back to C, though, there is no option besides exiting the terminal and riding the train. And that can take a while. Realistically, the pain of getting back to C may outweigh the perks of the Lufthansa lounges.
Old Mar 31, 16, 1:55 am

Programs: UA
Anyone have a way to enter Terminal B before 2pm? Last time I was there in February TSA wasn't even open yet and the bus didn't stop at TB, this was around 1pm on a Friday.
Old Mar 31, 16, 5:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Pat+ View Post
Coming back to C, though, there is no option besides exiting the terminal and riding the train. And that can take a while.
You could also walk. B >>> C is not far, although it's outside, and not all covered.

(Bolding mine.)
Old Mar 31, 16, 7:11 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM/Lifetime UC, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Totally not worth it, especially considering the generally horrendous security lines at EWR (except for GS)

Search this Thread