Access to LH / SK Lounge at EWR

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 22, 22, 1:53 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Both lounges open at 1 PM (as of 9/2/18), TSA at Terminal B is not open until 12:30 at the earliest.

SAS Lounge: After Security Gate/Area: B60

Lufthansa Lounge: After Security Gate/Area: B68

Both are located at satellite B3:

Going to LH or SAS lounge from various points:
From Terminal B International arrivals: walk to B3 security;
From Terminal B's United Gates: walk out of B1 security and enter B3 security;
From Terminal A: United airside shuttle or outside AirTrain train to Terminal B;
From Terminal C: United airside shuttle or outside AirTrain train to Terminal B;
(Note: there are two shuttles; only taking the shuttle to Terminal B and ask the driver to drop off at B3's LH lounge entry; not the United gates at B1).

Return to Terminal A or C: Airtrain train only.

The following was copied from west_end_NYC post.

I made my first visit trip to the EWR Termimal B Senators lounge last Friday as I had an extra hour to burn (notes: calculate your total journey time from different entry points; too risky with short layover time at EWR) before an 8:35PM flight out of Terminal C. I found the process of acccessing the lounge and getting over to Terminal C quite seamless:

- TSA at Terminal B scanned my UA paper boarding pass and reviewed my ID - no questions asked and was immediately let through.

- Note there is no TSA Pre-Check at Terminal B for the international gates so had to remove shoes, etc, and clear through the full body scanner. There was only a short line so only took ~10 minutes to clear through security.

- Proceeded to the LH lounge and showed my MP Gold card and UA BP at the check-in desk and again, no questions asked, and was invited to head into the Senators lounge to the left of the desk.

- Nice food spread including two entree choices, sandwich choices, and self-serve wine, beer and liquor with several varieties. Not quite the quality of the new Amex Centurion lounges I have visited but far better than anything available at the EWR UC, particularly noting it was all complimentary.

- The journey over to Terminal C was much easier than I anticpated and considerably faster than the 1 hour transit time referenced in earlier posts. I took the Airtrain one stop to Terminal C. Door-to-door from the LH lounge to the UC right past security took just 15 minutes (the C-3 Pre-Check line was not very long).

Notes: allow plenty of time for your return journey because time for passing security at Terminals A and C varies greatly, depending upon the time of day. Terminal A does not have a full PreCheck.

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 18, 14, 5:38 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
TSA is not supposed to care, so long as it's a valid BP (and IME they usually don't even say a thing when you try to access a different terminal). However, this is EWR we're talking about... so YMMV most definitely!
Old Sep 18, 14, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by hagan73 View Post
I'm arriving on UA From NRT at 4:40pm and departing again to YYZ at 9:30pm. I am a UA platinum (so *G) and I was wondering if anyone has experience heading to terminal B and using the LH lounge? I figure I have more than enough time to go visit and make use of it, but will I have difficulty getting there or being let in?

I have GE and TSA Pre and no checked bags, so I imagine I can get out f customs and to terminal B pretty quickly.

I'll have a same day boarding pass and be *G, do being let in I hope wouldn't be an issue. What about accessing a terminal that I am not flying out of?

I love lounge hopping and have done this same thing at IAD accessing the LH lounge (but with a NRT departure).

Any experience?

Thanks!
A couple of months ago, I had a long layover in EWR (connecting to an international flight). I first tried to use the Air Side Shuttle Bus, but was denied entry (they were checking boarding passes). So I left the airside area and took the Airtrain from Terminal C to Terminal B. The TSA agent at Terminal B said it was OK to go through, but there is no Pre Check at this particular checkpoint. I took the Airtrain from Terminal B back to Terminal C (had Pre Check, so it was faster to go through).

There is also a SAS lounge across from the LH lounge. I didn't try to use the SAS lounge. The LH Senator lounge was very nice.
Old Apr 29, 15, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist
I've read upthread and elsewhere on FT but am not clear ... so apologies that this has been covered in parts before but can anyone with recent experience comment on the following?

I'll be arriving EWR on a domestic UA Express (ERJ) on a Sunday. Looks like this will arrive EWR Terminal A. I will have 2:20 layover before my domestic UA departure (looks like will go out of Terminal C). I would like to check out the LH lounge in Terminal B during my layover. 3 questions:

1. Is there just one shuttle A --> B --> C or do I need to get on a separate Terminal B shuttle from A? If a single shuttle, is the driver likely to demand a Terminal B BP in order to stop or drop me off at Terminal B? Would a printout of a dummy booking likely suffice (I'd use my actual UA BP to get in the lounge) or are they strict in addition to being obnoxious and illogical about demanding BPs?

2. Is there bus service from B to C or do I have to leave B, AirTrain/Walk, and re-clear security at C?

3. Is 2:20 pushing it? How often do the shuttles leave A? I have GE/Pre but not sure if this is too much for a 2:20 layover.

Thanks.
Old Apr 29, 15, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NgatesSEA View Post
I've read upthread and elsewhere on FT but am not clear ... so apologies that this has been covered in parts before but can anyone with recent experience comment on the following?

I'll be arriving EWR on a domestic UA Express (ERJ) on a Sunday. Looks like this will arrive EWR Terminal A. I will have 2:20 layover before my domestic UA departure (looks like will go out of Terminal C). I would like to check out the LH lounge in Terminal B during my layover. 3 questions:

1. Is there just one shuttle A --> B --> C or do I need to get on a separate Terminal B shuttle from A? If a single shuttle, is the driver likely to demand a Terminal B BP in order to stop or drop me off at Terminal B? Would a printout of a dummy booking likely suffice (I'd use my actual UA BP to get in the lounge) or are they strict in addition to being obnoxious and illogical about demanding BPs?

2. Is there bus service from B to C or do I have to leave B, AirTrain/Walk, and re-clear security at C?

3. Is 2:20 pushing it? How often do the shuttles leave A? I have GE/Pre but not sure if this is too much for a 2:20 layover.

Thanks.
1. Shuttle from A to B. You can't board the shuttle in B. They might not even let you on if you don't have a Terminal B BP.
2. No, need to walk and re-clear security.
3. Depends on how busy the airport is.
Old Apr 29, 15, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 1353513636 View Post
1. Shuttle from A to B. You can't board the shuttle in B. They might not even let you on if you don't have a Terminal B BP.
2. No, need to walk and re-clear security.
3. Depends on how busy the airport is.
Thanks. Any experience with the Pre line at Terminal C around 530-6p on Sunday evenings?
Old Nov 18, 15, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is the Senator section of this lounge somehow comparable to IAD?
What are actually the operating hours?
Old Nov 18, 15, 12:48 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National ES, Air Kettle
Originally Posted by cesco.g View Post
I haven't been to the one at IAD, but the EWR lounge is quite nice and has a great food selection. It is however pretty small, and gets busy in the evening.

The lufthansa website says the hours are 12:30pm-9:45pm, though I'm pretty certain it didn't open until 1pm when I was there in september.
Old Nov 18, 15, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
EWR Senator Lounge facility is nice, but not as nice IAD SL. There is no shower at EWR SL. Food is good.

Here are some reports with photos:

http://pointmetotheplane.boardingare...-ewr-pictures/

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22508694-post16.html

http://www.loungebuddy.com/newark-li...lounge-at-ewr/
Old Nov 18, 15, 4:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by NgatesSEA View Post
Thanks. Any experience with the Pre line at Terminal C around 530-6p on Sunday evenings?
For future reference for thread searchers, Pre at Terminal C is a crap shoot. Might be a breeze, might be a PITA.

And I was in the LH lounge a couple of weeks ago, and it's small but not bad. Decent hot food selection, etc.
Old Nov 18, 15, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
I was kicked off the bus some time back by the Dragon.
Old Nov 18, 15, 7:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by euslaner View Post
I was kicked off the bus some time back by the Dragon.
I don't ever take the inter-terminal shuttle, but I sometimes am on the Allentown bus that leaves from the same gate - and boy oh boy those dragons are almost worse than lounge dragons. It's like they get a smile on their face from telling you that you can't take the shuttle.
Old Nov 18, 15, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, etc.
It doesn't open as early--not until 1 p.m.--but from then on it has a wider selection of hot food early on than LH's IAD lounge offers, plus a self-serve bar. (Here's my recap of my introduction to it in September.) It's nowhere as convenient, but when the day involves a long flight from the EU and then waiting two to three hours at EWR for a flight back to DCA, "convenient" has already exited my vocabulary.
Old Nov 18, 15, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
The Lufthansa Senator lounge at EWR is imho the best Star Alliance lounge at Newark, especially when it comes to food and beverages. Simply put, you can enjoy a full hot meal. There's no comparison with the United Clubs or even the SAS lounge.

That being said, it's a small (but beautiful) lounge, and there are no showers (United has them in terminals A and C.)

Also, it's not super convenient for UA passengers since you need to reach terminal B. You can do it airside - get on the shuttle and just don't tell the agent that you're going to B or they may ask for a boarding pass. Just ask the driver. You will however have to leave the terminal, and take the train back to C and then re-clear security to get back to United land.

Details and pictures (note that "real-life" hours don't always seem to match posted hours.): https://loungereview.com/lounges/luf...or-lounge-ewr/

(Full disclosure: I contribute to loungereview.com.)
Old Dec 24, 15, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First of all thanks to all for the enlightening replies.
Recently did the EWR Sen lounge and found it comparable, albeit smaller than IAD. Food selection IME a tad below IAD.
Also checked out the SK lounge. Interior felt like IKEA furniture, food subpar compared to LH, and at 5h00 p.m. was very crowded.
Old Jan 17, 16, 6:18 pm

Access LH Lounge at EWR

I am *Gold departing from EWR on a United flight to Mexico. Can I access the Lufthansa lounge in the afternoon. I have no checked luggage, but more than a few hours in the afternoon. Thought I would visit Lufthansa lounge. Airside transportation would be great, but I have enough time, I could clear security 2x in each of the terminals (C - my departure terminal) (B - LH lounge). Thanks for the feed back.

Search this Thread