Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Both lounges open at 1 PM (as of 9/2/18), TSA at Terminal B is not open until 12:30 at the earliest.

SAS Lounge: After Security Gate/Area: B60

Lufthansa Lounge: After Security Gate/Area: B68

Both are located at satellite B3:

Going to LH or SAS lounge from various points:
From Terminal B International arrivals: walk to B3 security;
From Terminal B's United Gates: walk out of B1 security and enter B3 security;
From Terminal A: United airside shuttle or outside AirTrain train to Terminal B;
From Terminal C: United airside shuttle or outside AirTrain train to Terminal B;
(Note: there are two shuttles; only taking the shuttle to Terminal B and ask the driver to drop off at B3's LH lounge entry; not the United gates at B1).

Return to Terminal A or C: Airtrain train only.

The following was copied from west_end_NYC post.

I made my first visit trip to the EWR Termimal B Senators lounge last Friday as I had an extra hour to burn (notes: calculate your total journey time from different entry points; too risky with short layover time at EWR) before an 8:35PM flight out of Terminal C. I found the process of acccessing the lounge and getting over to Terminal C quite seamless:

- TSA at Terminal B scanned my UA paper boarding pass and reviewed my ID - no questions asked and was immediately let through.

- Note there is no TSA Pre-Check at Terminal B for the international gates so had to remove shoes, etc, and clear through the full body scanner. There was only a short line so only took ~10 minutes to clear through security.

- Proceeded to the LH lounge and showed my MP Gold card and UA BP at the check-in desk and again, no questions asked, and was invited to head into the Senators lounge to the left of the desk.

- Nice food spread including two entree choices, sandwich choices, and self-serve wine, beer and liquor with several varieties. Not quite the quality of the new Amex Centurion lounges I have visited but far better than anything available at the EWR UC, particularly noting it was all complimentary.

- The journey over to Terminal C was much easier than I anticpated and considerably faster than the 1 hour transit time referenced in earlier posts. I took the Airtrain one stop to Terminal C. Door-to-door from the LH lounge to the UC right past security took just 15 minutes (the C-3 Pre-Check line was not very long).

Notes: allow plenty of time for your return journey because time for passing security at Terminals A and C varies greatly, depending upon the time of day. Terminal A does not have a full PreCheck.

Print Wikipost

Access to LH / SK Lounge at EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by br2k
I called so many times I lost count.

They presumably "reordered it" on February 14 (their system prevented them from reordering earlier) but "it will take 4-6 weeks to arrive". I called a few times in between, but since it is marked as "reordered" I am instructed to wait. Once 6 weeks pass, and the card is still not here (as I fully expect it not to be), I'll call again, and it will all be repeated. MP "premier" service is absolutely useless.

Last time I called to check (yesterday), I got a rude CS who was chewing and mumbling while talking to me. Hung up, called again, and got another one who spent 30 minutes (!!) trying to log into her system, occasionally waking up to ask "you want to do WHAT with your membership". It's less than a joke.
Its all who you speak to.

As a Silver, I spoke to a guy in the Detroit Call center, and after asking him, he rushed me a plastic Silver Card that came in 5 days.

Again, the shipment of cards is 100% YMMV
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
trip report Tue Sept 25:
Arrived in A at 8PM. Took the shuttle and asked them to stop at B. Visited both LH Senator and SAS lounges. The SAS lounge is a nicer, bigger space. The LH Senator lounge had a bigger and better food spread.
Left the lounges, exited security and hopped on the airtrain to go from B to C. C security checkpoint had a single consolidated line for everyone as Precheck checkpoint closed at 815pm and Premier line was also closed. There was a line about 10 deep at each of the 3 TSA agents. A lot of people going on the TLV flight. A passenger in front of me said that in the evening, sometimes the India flight leads to huge lines. By the way, there is partial precheck- you just need to take laptop & toiletries out. For me it took about 20-25 min from leaving LH/SAS lounges in B to inside security in C.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by qisu
By the way, there is partial precheck- you just need to take laptop & toiletries out.
Pre-check light. Your body gets pre-check rules, your bag does not.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Wish I had the guts to do that. Getting to terminal B from term. A isn't hard so you can visit the LH/SAS clubs....but the security in C is so unpredictable.....some days it could be no more than 15 min....some days you could be line for an hour +
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:38 pm

will the lounge be open at 6am? Some people have said that the stated opening time is wrong.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by newtonc
will the lounge be open at 6am? Some people have said that the stated opening time is wrong.
Why would the LH lounge be open at 6 am? The first scheduled LH flight is at 5:50 pm (EWR-DUS). Why would they be open 12 hours ahead of that flight?
In addition, the TSA checkpoint doesn't open until 12:30 pm (at the earliest) and the United buses to the B60-B69 gates don't start running until the afternoon.

Last edited by DoTheBartMan; Nov 1, 2017 at 6:33 am
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by newtonc
I went to the LH Lounge last year and the sign in front of the door says it opens at 1:00 PM or 1:30 PM. I cannot recall which one it was but it was open when I arrived at 1:35 PM. There was only one other passenger already in the lounge.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
LH website indicates EWR 2:00pm to 9:45pm

Originally Posted by DoTheBartMan
Why would the LH lounge be open at 6 am? The first scheduled LH flight is at 5:50 pm (EWR-DUS). Why would they be open 12 hours ahead of that flight?
IMhO, there is little correlation to opening lounge hours vs. first flight time. I base it on the DTW LH lounge: There is only one flight to FRA daily around 4:00pm, but the lounge is open daily from 5am-7:30pm
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum,
OK to use LH Lounge instead?

I'm flying into EWR from FCO in a few weeks in business...or business first..whatever they're calling it now. Polaris! I am also Star Alliance Gold. I'll be connecting to DCA after a several hour layover. Does anyone know if I can 1. Access the LH lounge instead, since I'm flying IN and not flying OUT on a longhaul, and 2. if the LH lounges have showers?

I hate that United seems to be eliminating their showers. Seems like they're really going all in on their race toward the bottom

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 29, 2017 at 8:32 pm Reason: merged in this thread
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by sky74
I'm flying into EWR from FCO in a few weeks in business...or business first..whatever they're calling it now. Polaris! I am also Star Alliance Gold. I'll be connecting to DCA after a several hour layover. Does anyone know if I can 1. Access the LH lounge instead, since I'm flying IN and not flying OUT on a longhaul, and 2. if the LH lounges have showers?

I hate that United seems to be eliminating their showers. Seems like they're really going all in on their race toward the bottom
The new polaris lounge will have showers!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sky74

1. Your Star Alliance Gold status gives you access to the LH Senator and Business lounges as long as the flight to DCA is on a Star Alliance airline. http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Lounge-types-and-access
2. According to the lounge info on the LH website, the LH lounges at EWR do not have showers.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:00 am

It's not really practical. Even if you disembark in Term B (where LH is) you still have to clear C/I and then recheck security to go back into the terminal with the dreaded Term B TSA agents.

DCA is often an RJ, so you might end up in A for your departure, which doesn't have a 1/2 bad UC.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by airzim
It's not really practical. Even if you disembark in Term B (where LH is) you still have to clear C/I and then recheck security to go back into the terminal with the dreaded Term B TSA agents..
Or clear security at C and then take the bus to B. And when you're done with the LH lounge, walk/take train to whatever terminal the DCA flight operates from. Lots of people do it, so I wouldn't call it "not really practical".
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by DoTheBartMan
Or clear security at C and then take the bus to B. And when you're done with the LH lounge, walk/take train to whatever terminal the DCA flight operates from. Lots of people do it, so I wouldn't call it "not really practical".
Not for what the LH offers is what I was implying. The food is pretty basic and the booze is comparable to what you'd get in the UC. It's generally really crowded in the early afternoon when FRA/MUC/LIS flights are leaving.

I just don't see the point of the effort, especially if it requires clearing/re-clearing security just to use a basic lounge.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by airzim
Not for what the LH offers is what I was implying. The food is pretty basic and the booze is comparable to what you'd get in the UC.

I just don't see the point of the effort, especially if it requires clearing/re-clearing security just to use a basic lounge.
The food is way better in the LH Lounge that what they offer in the UC (the only exception is the Polaris Lounge in ORD but, since we are talking about EWR, the food in the Polaris Lounge in ORD is irrelevant) Way more variety. And every hour or so they bring new items. Last time I was there, there was some delicious beef. Another advantage is that the drinks are self pour. I hate having to ask for sparkling water.
I guess the crowding issue depends on time of arrival. I entered the LH lounge five minutes after it opened so it was empty. Then delays in some of the LH flights made it overcrowded making some people have to stand up.

Since everything about flying and airport security is already a pain, I felt that having to reclear security was just a little addition to the pain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.