Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
San Francisco United Arrivals Lounge closure
Due to airport construction, the United Arrivals Lounge at San Francisco will close on December 1, 2019, at 12 p.m. If you’re traveling in United Polaris® business class on a long-haul international flight and have an eligible same-day ticket, you can visit the United Polaris lounge before departure, during connections or upon arrival. See our access policy and list of lounge locations for more information.

United Arrivals Lounge: 12 showers, decent breakfast, but only open to inbound international GlobalFirst or BusinessFirst premium passengers in the morning:
https://loungereview.com/lounges/uni...ls-lounge-sfo/
Our Arrivals Lounge in San Francisco, located in Terminal 3 on the baggage level, is a retreat where United Polaris first and business class customers arriving by noon on a same-day ticket may freshen up with a shower. Guests can enjoy breakfast and use our complimentary Wi-Fi.
Customers may not bring guests into the arrivals lounge/
Hours: 6:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Outside of security
Accessing from the International Terminal
Originally Posted by Kacee
The foolproof instructions are "head towards UA baggage claim in T3 on the ground level and it's on your left."

It's quicker if you take the "connections" exit from customs, but either way works.
Alternatives
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
Aieside in International G terminal

Amex Centurion Lounge: one shower (possible wait), complimentary access for Centurion and Plat Amex cardholders, $50 for all other Amex cardmembers:
https://loungereview.com/lounges/the...on-lounge-sfo/ -airside

Freshen Up. Paid facility. Landside, International Terminal.
Freshen Up
Thread talking about Freshen Up
Outside of security

Closed lounges
Singapore Airlines SilverKris lounge: two basic showers, but only open to departing international passengers holding Star Gold status or traveling in a premium class of service:
https://loungereview.com/lounges/sin...is-lounge-sfo/

United Global First lounge - Closed as GFL/IFL nut available for premium cabin partner international / UA Polaris long-haul SFO departure passenger while the UA Polaris lounge is under construction.
Print Wikipost

SFO Arrivals Lounge - closing 1 Dec 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
It's a personal preference, but the Polaris showers are pretty horrible - lack of ventilation, no individual temperature controls
This is not a common complaint. Many (including me) think the Polaris showers are pretty nice.

I do like the quiet and intimacy of the arrivals lounge, it suits my state of mind after a long-haul arrival. That said, the space is nowhere near as impressive as the Polaris lounge.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
This is not a common complaint. Many (including me) think the Polaris showers are pretty nice.

I do like the quiet and intimacy of the arrivals lounge, it suits my state of mind after a long-haul arrival. That said, the space is nowhere near as impressive as the Polaris lounge.
I agree with you kacee, but will add that the Arrivals Lounge is always nice and quiet, if you ask the attendant for fresh eggs done your way they will do it. Its very informal but a really high level of personal service when you think about it. Just none of the Polaris styling.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's old and doesn't have the Polaris glitz, but it's been well maintained all things considered, and I have always been pleased to visit. As noted already, though, it closes at 12:30p and is timed mainly for the Asia arrivals and doesn't work for LHR.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 16, 2018 at 1:47 pm Reason: cleanup after move
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by uanj
I agree with you kacee, but will add that the Arrivals Lounge is always nice and quiet, if you ask the attendant for fresh eggs done your way they will do it. Its very informal but a really high level of personal service when you think about it. Just none of the Polaris styling.
I agree, the attendants are great. It's a nice spot to transition from travel mode back to the real world. I'll take a shower, catch up on emails, then head into work.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
It is great if you want breakfast and a shower. If you want a drink, you can use the Polaris Lounge because you are arriving in business class.
Thanks!

But, if my next flight is domestic (to SAN) can I access the Polaris lounge?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Houminer
Thanks!

But, if my next flight is domestic (to SAN) can I access the Polaris lounge?
You can. Just show your inbound BP if there's any question, but if on the same ticket it should be smooth. (And any further discussion might be better placed in the other thread! )
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje
You can. Just show your inbound BP if there's any question, but if on the same ticket it should be smooth. (And any further discussion might be better placed in the other thread! )
This is assuming that Houminer is flying in Polaris. There were too many answers to different FTers for me to see it that fact was mentioned (I mean the flying from TLV to SFO on United in Polaris class).
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
This is assuming that Houminer is flying in Polaris. There were too many answers to different FTers for me to see it that fact was mentioned (I mean the flying from TLV to SFO on United in Polaris class).
Indeed, but I had inferred Houminer was in front for TLV-SFO from an earlier question about access to the arrivals lounge. Of course, that inference might be incorrect, in which case no Polaris Lounge access.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje
Indeed, but I had inferred Houminer was in front for TLV-SFO from an earlier question about access to the arrivals lounge. Of course, that inference might be incorrect, in which case no Polaris Lounge access.
I'm like you. I always infer that the person asking the question has all the credentials for access but many times I then learned that their question is based on older rules. Maybe the arrivals lounge was accessible with high status but for the Polaris Lounge it has to be by sitting in a Polaris Business (or Polaris First) seat. Even GS don't get Polaris Lounge access if they are not in a Polaris seat.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I'm like you. I always infer that the person asking the question has all the credentials for access but many times I then learned that their question is based on older rules. Maybe the arrivals lounge was accessible with high status but for the Polaris Lounge it has to be by sitting in a Polaris Business (or Polaris First) seat. Even GS don't get Polaris Lounge access if they are not in a Polaris seat.
It is my understanding that entry criteria for both the SFO Arrivals Lounge and the Polaris Lounge are identical. Status alone does not allow entry.
StuckinITH likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
It is my understanding that entry criteria for both the SFO Arrivals Lounge and the Polaris Lounge are identical. Status alone does not allow entry.
Yes, for the arrivals lounge, you technically need an arrival on UA metal in Polaris J or F. Although I've seen GS talk their way in when do not qualify.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Yes, for the arrivals lounge, you technically need an arrival on UA metal in Polaris J or F. Although I've seen GS talk their way in when do not qualify.
GS arriving on international/long-haul UA metal in any cabin are specifically permitted as an unpublished benefit.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by wxguy
GS arriving on international/long-haul UA metal in any cabin are specifically permitted as an unpublished benefit.
I also was there when one got in on a ps arrival.

Seems like a reasonable perk, the lounge is quite underutilized these days.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Polaris

Thank you everyone!
i am flying Polaris (or fake Polaris since this is a 787)
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Houminer
Thank you everyone!
i am flying Polaris (or fake Polaris since this is a 787)
You'll be flying in Fauxlaris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.