UA/Star Business Deals to Europe

Old Apr 2, 14, 1:22 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by GBadger View Post
These fares are going to kill my GPU chances for a trip to AMS in July… I've got to come up with a creative routing that will up my odds (maybe through LHR or FRA).
I have a related problem, with all these inexpensive P fares, I'm going to end up with a lot of spare GPUs. Also, after consulting my handy-dandy United spreadsheet, I'll end 2014 with at least 164K PQMs, which means even more GPUs next year.
Old Apr 2, 14, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA GS
Anyone seeing any flights from OGG or HNL?
Old Apr 2, 14, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LAXOGG View Post
Not now; the deal is done dead and buried!
Old Apr 2, 14, 1:32 pm

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
Originally Posted by LAXOGG View Post
I believe these have all been confirmed as dead.
Old Apr 2, 14, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by UTex09 View Post
I believe these have all been confirmed as dead.
Thanks.....no need to look anymore. Three trips was enough anyway.
Old Apr 2, 14, 2:02 pm

I'm so sad that I have been traveling the past few days and missed these notes about the deals.

One thing that I realize is that it wasn't clear how people were seeing these fares, i.e, were they on united.com, and which "Advanced Search" options were you choosing? I have been looking for PIT-FCO tickets for a month (May-June trip) until this travel sidetracked me. I had been choosing Business class and then choosing specific fare codes like Z, C, P. Is that the right way to check in general? For deals like this?

thanks..
Old Apr 2, 14, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA PP, DL SM/MM, HH Dia, All Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold
Originally Posted by hscottm View Post
I'm so sad that I have been traveling the past few days and missed these notes about the deals.

One thing that I realize is that it wasn't clear how people were seeing these fares, i.e, were they on united.com, and which "Advanced Search" options were you choosing? I have been looking for PIT-FCO tickets for a month (May-June trip) until this travel sidetracked me. I had been choosing Business class and then choosing specific fare codes like Z, C, P. Is that the right way to check in general? For deals like this?

thanks..
This was only for travel from approx. late June through August, at least for the dates/destinations that I tried. I think your earlier dates never were available. In this case, no need to select fare class or do anything tricky, just a simple BusinessFirst search.
Old Apr 2, 14, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by hscottm View Post

There was no trick to finding these fares. They were only on offer for about 18 hours though.

Don't limit yourself by searching by fare code. That's completely unnecessary. Just search for "lowest available fare."

The best way to catch fare deals is to read this forum regularly. Lucky is also consistently quick to post them. boardingarea.com/onemileatatime.
Old Apr 2, 14, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by FlytheTail View Post
This was only for travel from approx. late June through August, at least for the dates/destinations that I tried. I think your earlier dates never were available. In this case, no need to select fare class or do anything tricky, just a simple BusinessFirst search.
thanks. I meant to note a PIT-VIE trip in August (which would have been ok) but am still worried about that FCO trip.
Old Apr 2, 14, 2:36 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Is there a "doomsday" pricing program?

Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
So was this a mistake fare or a ST/DL match, as has been suggested?
I mentioned elsewhere the possibility this was a mistake fare on Delta's part, matched by United's computers, Delta pulled it back but United was rather slow killing it on their side. It wasn't so cheap that it triggered any watchguard mechanisms... if I'm correct, United might be looking at their criteria and doing a bit of fine-tuning.

I'm virtually certain that no humans were involved in letting this one through. A real live person could pick up that this wasn't right; no associated promo, just a bunch of oddly-cheap fares. But the computer couldn't see the big picture. It just went into anti-Doomsday mode and reacted.

The sequence of events on the DL board shows that the deal went dead by 6:41pm, yesterday. We had it for, it appears, another 12+ hours after that. United was, in this case, quite literally asleep at the wheel. Things appeared to start going away about the time people would be getting to work in Chicago this morning.

It would be interesting to find out if my speculation is true. An insight into how the airlines work, how they try to keep their competitors in check using doomsday programming (if you do a sale, we'll react automatically, bringing us all down instead of allowing you to profit from "buying" customers), if in fact they do.

For those unaware of the concept of a Doomsday machine, it became part of the culture during the Cold War. Mutually assured destruction. You won't bomb us because we'll retaliate and destroy you, at the first notice. The response being automatic, to rule out the ability to try and outsmart the other side. No survivors means no point to launching the missiles. If an airline having a sale is going to simply cause everyone to do the exact same thing, nothing's gained except that everybody loses. The only benefit can be playing the game all the way to the end, if you believe you can outlast everyone else.
Old Apr 2, 14, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky View Post
I mentioned elsewhere the possibility this was a mistake fare on Delta's part, matched by United's computers, Delta pulled it back but United was rather slow killing it on their side. It wasn't so cheap that it triggered any watchguard mechanisms... if I'm correct, United might be looking at their criteria and doing a bit of fine-tuning.
Maybe this was a DL dirty trick

I did notice that UA Insider was quicker with a response in another thread today than we've seen in many, many months (sfo-arrivals-lounge). I wonder if someone was ordered this morning to keep a closer eye on this forum.
Old Apr 2, 14, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Maybe this was a DL dirty trick

I did notice that UA Insider was quicker with a response in another thread today than we've seen in many, many months (sfo-arrivals-lounge). I wonder if someone was ordered this morning to keep a closer eye on this forum.
Haha, this should prompt another "UAInsider only comes by the UA forum to see how to kill deals / our joy" thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ll-around.html
Old Apr 2, 14, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
If you're still within the 24 hour window you should be able to make changes for free as long as you find P availability. I just changed from an LH flight to an OS flight to try a different carrier and for the lie-flats. I actually received a refund of ~$6 due to, I assume, the difference in departure taxes between Germany and Austria. I wasn't able to get the routing I initially wanted, but that caused me to get creative and did build in time to check catching a game at Wrigley off my bucket list.
Old Apr 2, 14, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
The best way to catch fare deals is to read this forum regularly. Lucky is also consistently quick to post them.
I'd pay attention to the Mileage Run forum before a blogger. It is much more likely to have the deals early and with details.
Old Apr 2, 14, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
I'd pay attention to the Mileage Run forum before a blogger. It is much more likely to have the deals early and with details.
This is why you're one of the only bloggers I read. Thanks for all your helpful tips during this frenzy in this and the other threads.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: