FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA/Star Business Deals to Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1565578-ua-star-business-deals-europe.html)

goodeats21 Apr 2, 2014 8:00 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 22634890)
Correct: Avoid LH metal if you want more PQMs. Also avoid OS metal.

Thanks for that advice.

In for a quick trip to Naples, Italy. Cool!

MBS MillionMiler Apr 2, 2014 8:04 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 22634890)
Correct: Avoid LH metal if you want more PQMs. Also avoid OS metal.

I've not done it in Rome but similar transits elsewhere in major European airports typically haven't been an issue for me. Rome is a bit strange in how they segregate US departures in the morning so I can see a small potential for issues there. But I don't know for sure.

Thanks, sbm!

I'm not too worried. I'll have over 2 hours in Rome, pending everything's on time. I'm guessing I might just have to go through a 'gate security' check similar to SIN or MUC?

lhrsfo Apr 2, 2014 8:06 am

Tried a range of dates from SJC or SEA to AMS or CDG and none work for me.

seanp7 Apr 2, 2014 8:18 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 22634372)
How are you booking this? I'm trying to look NYC->anywhere over the 4th of July weekend and can't get anything less than $3K.

EDIT - got VCE to work, but that's it so far...

From JFK/EWR only NCE and VCE were working last night. HPN opens up many more.

Kacee Apr 2, 2014 8:23 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 22635021)
Tried a range of dates from SJC or SEA to AMS or CDG and none work for me.

I just got it to price mid-August SEA-AMS. Maybe use ITA Matrix to see what's still out there?

Gunner14 Apr 2, 2014 8:26 am

Originally Posted by jwXplore (Post 22634509)
No joy trying to get anything out of RDU. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Same ... but I'm not overly worried, as it's a totally unnecessary trip that I'd be avoiding. :o

mattp1987 Apr 2, 2014 8:33 am

Originally Posted by agjil (Post 22633653)
How can you make that booking on UA.com, especially with the TATL segment on LH metal?
I'm having no luck with the search results on UA.com if I search for VPS-AMS round trip.
I also tried using the multi-city tool, but no luck.

I used Google Flights multi-city to price it out and then clicked Book on UA. I found it helps to find a generic roundtrip on dates that work but then use multi-city to do the "funny business" of strange routings and long layovers. Here's what I ended up with on my second booking.

July 19 VPS-(UA Y)-IAH-(UA F)-ORD-(LH J)-FRA
July 21 FRA-AMS (LH J)
July 23 AMS-FRA (LH J)
July 24 FRA-(LH J)-IAH-(UA Y)-VPS

Found by search for the following in Google Flights:
VPS-ORD July 19
ORD-FRA July 19
FRA-AMS July 21
AMS-FRA July 23
FRA-VPS July 24

I hope this helps. One thing to note is that sometimes the price while you're picking flights will be higher than it ends up being. For example, I knew from an ITA Matrix search that I should be able to get the 4:05pm ORD-FRA flight for the cheaper price even though Google Flights showed it as $3400 or so. I just picked it and it worked at the end. Good luck.

exerda Apr 2, 2014 8:58 am

Nice find. For the dates & city pairs I was looking at, cheapest Y is $2400, and combo of P & Z is $1500. Guess I'm going to VCE this summer for a long weekend. :D

UTex09 Apr 2, 2014 9:08 am

This works to most places out of BPT if you are ex-IAH. Better than going to AUS or SAT, plus you get to roll in the United BUS!!

LNKed Apr 2, 2014 9:25 am

Fares pulled? Not getting any more love...

GBadger Apr 2, 2014 9:26 am

Going quickly -- I just (5 min. ago) saw plenty of options out of COS, but now they appear to be gone.

Too bad -- I was totally ready to book one of these for a work trip, but didn't get a quick enough response from travel as to whether this would be an allowable exception for J travel.

GBadger Apr 2, 2014 9:26 am

Originally Posted by LNKed (Post 22635564)
Fares pulled? Not getting any more love...

Same here.

jasonp622 Apr 2, 2014 9:38 am

i had the sjc-cdg fare for 1567, picked the first leg and then when i selected the return flight it went to 3800. so close.

wpr8e Apr 2, 2014 9:48 am

Originally Posted by jwXplore (Post 22634509)
No joy trying to get anything out of RDU. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Try GSO or ATL. I'm seeing the fares out of these stations, but not CLT or RDU.

mdobbins Apr 2, 2014 10:17 am

I was able to book three of them this morning from IND to (1) AMS, (2) CDG, and (3) FCO. All were between $1470 and $1560 ai. Looks like I'm going to be spending quality time in Europe this summer!