Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA/Star Business Deals to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
We just got home yesterday from a bargain P fare MSP-ERW-MPX open jaw VCE-FRA-ORD-MSP. We would not have made this trip this summer w/o the deal.

I further took the bait and status matched to UA Silver. Jury is out on whether to stay with the switch.

We had good service on our 764 to MPX. I thought the food was decent, especially the cheese course & dessert, and the FA that mostly served us was really nice. I was not impressed with the "lie-flat" seat. Tight fit, at 6'2", I dozed in recliner mode only, though my partner who is tall but skinny managed to side sleep ~2 hrs. Yeah it was nice given the lower-than-cheapest-coach fare, but it did not make me want to pay $5K each next time, if that was a goal.

The other two nominally UA segments were regionals, an E145 and a CR7, so didn't really try UA's domestic mainline. The E145 for 2.5 hours sucks. Our short hop in F on the CR7 was pleasant, but hard to distinguish from the Skywest DL product.

For the record, the two LH segments were great. I thought the legroom and service in seats 3D/F in an A321 were just fine. Yes the seat isn't a US-type F seat, but good knee room and plenty of space for 1:25 gate-to-gate flight, and good meal & beverages.
The real treat of the trip was being in the main deck nose section of a venerable 747-400. I hadn't flown in a 747 in 18 years, since leaving the NYC area.
The LH seat is not super comfortable, but the personal space up front is great, and the food beat UA by a mile. I don't drink alcohol, so I found LH's offering of two choices of good quality German N.A. beers to be a happy surprise.
For a day flight, the old 744 J class on LH seemed a very pleasant way to travel. The second J section with 2-3-2 seating looked less fun. Glad I called ahead and reserved row 3!

Anyway, as to generating additional revenue or customers, the fare worked for us. Really, though, the hotels and restaurants of northern Italy probably benefitted more than UA - I don't think UA or LH made much margin on us, but 7 nights in 3 & 4 star hotels, plus those Italian dinners? Expect a modest uptick in Italy's GDP.

Last edited by RaflW; Aug 2, 2014 at 9:32 pm
Old Aug 3, 2014, 2:37 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by RaflW
Really, though, the hotels and restaurants of northern Italy probably benefitted more than UA - I don't think UA or LH made much margin on us, but 7 nights in 3 & 4 star hotels, plus those Italian dinners? Expect a modest uptick in Italy's GDP.
This is so true - I'm in VCE now staying on the canal and had dinner last night that came to 165euro - after 100 euro water taxi from airport to hotel lol.... Good thing I got the airfare deal!
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Hopefully they'll just keep offering BF for Y prices going forward...look at all the incremental business UA is driving!!!
Old Aug 3, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
This is so true - I'm in VCE now staying on the canal and had dinner last night that came to 165euro - after 100 euro water taxi from airport to hotel lol.... Good thing I got the airfare deal!
If you are still there, I recommend the out of the way restaurant Dalle Marisa near the Tre Archi bridge in Cannaregio. Eur 15 set price lunch, 35 for set price dinner includes 4 courses, wine, coffee, water, copperto (not sure about wine at lunch...). No menu, no choices, but delicious and nice mix of locals and tourists.

And for next time, you can stay in a canal view jr suite in Cannaregio for around Eur 220-240 a night (yes, the canal you view isn't the Grand Canal, but I think it's more charming, and easy access to the 4 & 5 vaproettos): Ca' Dogaressa hotel. 3 stars, but well run, very clean, Venetian decor including Murano chandeliers, and easy to access Alilaguna for a much cheaper ride from/to VCE.

Last edited by RaflW; Aug 3, 2014 at 7:39 am
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by RaflW
If you are still there, I recommend the out of the way restaurant Dalle Marisa near the Tre Archi bridge in Cannaregio. Eur 15 set price lunch, 35 for set price dinner includes 4 courses, wine, coffee, water, copperto (not sure about wine at lunch...). No menu, no choices, but delicious and nice mix of locals and tourists.

And for next time, you can stay in a canal view jr suite in Cannaregio for around Eur 220-240 a night (yes, the canal you view isn't the Grand Canal, but I think it's more charming, and easy access to the 4 & 5 vaproettos): Ca' Dogaressa hotel. 3 stars, but well run, very clean, Venetian decor including Murano chandeliers, and easy to access Alilaguna for a much cheaper ride from/to VCE.
Thanks for the advice - I am staying at then Londra palace and having a blast! Surprised how expensive the food is but I so love Italy and the people - had lunch at Cantina da Spade today - amazing and reasonable - currently bar hopping back to the hotel....
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
If they have a Thanksgiving BF sale, when does it usually happen? Thanks!
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:51 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Club in Toronto

I'm on my second trip to Europe this Thursday. MKE-ORD-YYZ-FCO. I was wondering what club(s) are available in Toronto and which would be consensus to be best?
Old Aug 3, 2014, 6:02 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thepla
I'm on my second trip to Europe this Thursday. MKE-ORD-YYZ-FCO. I was wondering what club(s) are available in Toronto and which would be consensus to be best?
You should have access to the Maple Leaf Lounge (MLL); I'm not sure if there are other lounges available or not. The MLL is okay; it's far better than the Red Carpet Club / United Club, but it's nothing special, either.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 6:05 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by exerda
You should have access to the Maple Leaf Lounge (MLL); I'm not sure if there are other lounges available or not. The MLL is okay; it's far better than the Red Carpet Club / United Club, but it's nothing special, either.
Thanks I did see on Star Alliance website two lounges, both AC. I am pretty excited about trying AC Business Class. Priority Pass has something called Plaza Premium.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by thepla
Thanks I did see on Star Alliance website two lounges, both AC. I am pretty excited about trying AC Business Class. Priority Pass has something called Plaza Premium.
My GF and I did our P fare run on AC fit the YYZ-FCO-YYZ legs, and loved it. Eventually will get around to doing a trip report. Feel free to pm with any questions.

I quite like the maple leaf lounges.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by ordogg
Looking at the Mileage Run forum, it would seem it had happened by this time of year already in some previous years. I have been watching but no dice and for now am waiting too.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by ordogg
depends on who "they" you mean.. LH has had one posted on their website for a few weeks:

http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/busin...pecialid=11661

terms:

Purchase by: 09/29/2014 Departure period: 11/22/2014 - 11/28/2014 Return period: 11/27/2014 - 12/03/2014 Advance Purchase Period: 60 days

I didnt do any separate searches to verify city pairs, matching, etc.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tyroner
Looking at the Mileage Run forum, it would seem it had happened by this time of year already in some previous years. I have been watching but no dice and for now am waiting too.
They can't afford the sale now, due to all the BF seats they have & are still giving away for Y prices
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:41 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hscottm
depends on who "they" you mean.. LH has had one posted on their website for a few weeks:

http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/busin...pecialid=11661

terms:

Purchase by: 09/29/2014 Departure period: 11/22/2014 - 11/28/2014 Return period: 11/27/2014 - 12/03/2014 Advance Purchase Period: 60 days

I didnt do any separate searches to verify city pairs, matching, etc.
I tried a few city pairs and found their "business basic" product available ex-WAS for as little as $2600 r/t, even outside the official dates for their offer. Amusingly, many rely on UA metal for the TATL portion...
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
Currently sitting in ord ifl. Got an op up to global first on our trip to flr. Thanks again op for posting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.