FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA/Star Business Deals to Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1565578-ua-star-business-deals-europe.html)

love_to_travel Apr 2, 2014 3:29 am

LOL. The P fares are so low that United.com will return P fares even when searching the Economy cabin :)

fjfv19 Apr 2, 2014 3:41 am

I'm not kidding, I thought this was a joke until I just farelocked two business class tickets HPN-ORD-CDG-EWR-ORD-HPN for as much as I would've paid for economy tickets on this route over July 4th weekend. Thank you FT!

For NY Flyers, works out of HPN to AMS and MXP as well.

UA-NYC Apr 2, 2014 5:43 am

Originally Posted by fjfv19 (Post 22634033)
I'm not kidding, I thought this was a joke until I just farelocked two business class tickets HPN-ORD-CDG-EWR-ORD-HPN for as much as I would've paid for economy tickets on this route over July 4th weekend. Thank you FT!

For NY Flyers, works out of HPN to AMS and MXP as well.

How are you booking this? I'm trying to look NYC->anywhere over the 4th of July weekend and can't get anything less than $3K.

EDIT - got VCE to work, but that's it so far...

LAChargers Apr 2, 2014 6:03 am

I believe you need to stay a Sunday night. I booked sna-iad-fra-vce for 1524 end of July

sbm12 Apr 2, 2014 6:05 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 22633610)
remember a significant portion of the $1.5K is not PQD eligible.

Roughly $1350 should count towards PQDs. It is a $500 r/t base fare and $850ish in YQ.

Watch the booking classes. On AC metal it books into Z which is nice if not crediting to UA. LH metal books into P which only earns 100%. SN also books into P which isn't on the charts and could cause issues though I believe that's one of the fares UA Insider said could be manually posted.

And on the destination side LOTS of options are available. All of Italy, pretty much, for example, not just FCO/MXP.

jwXplore Apr 2, 2014 6:19 am

No joy trying to get anything out of RDU. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

agjil Apr 2, 2014 6:27 am

I'm having trouble booking the P fares on LH metal for the TATL portion.
The LH flights do not appear on UA.com using the search tool, so I figured calling in is the only option.
I called UA a couple of times, and both times the agents said the system is not letting them book P class for LH flights (P not available), whereas they had no issue booking P classes on UA metal.
Could anyone who booked these fares on LH metal share how they did it?
Btw I do see P classes available on ita matrix for the LH TATL flights..

sbm12 Apr 2, 2014 7:07 am

Originally Posted by agjil (Post 22634542)
I called UA a couple of times,

:eek:

:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by agjil (Post 22634542)
Could anyone who booked these fares on LH metal share how they did it?
Btw I do see P classes available on ita matrix for the LH TATL flights..

Use hipmunk. It'll push you to priceline to book. Also remember that LH P fares earn only 100%; not CoS bonus.

MBS MillionMiler Apr 2, 2014 7:10 am

I am not an expert in European travel...Matter of fact, I was in China in 2013 more times than I've been to Europe in my entire life. :p

From what I read on united.com, on LH, 'P' fares only earn 100%/100%? And it appears that on Air Canada they earn 150%/150%. So, someone like me who needs every EQM, should avoid LH on this deal? Does it matter if it's a UA codeshare operated by LH?

Will I have any problems in, let's say, Rome with arriving, and turning around 2 hours later and hopping a flight back to the USA (on the same aircraft)? I may not even exit the sterile area if I don't have to...Would a transit desk be able to give me my onward BPs? (Also thinking because my return is less than 24 hours after my first flight, I might be able to check in all the way back from home before I leave.

villox Apr 2, 2014 7:33 am

For those in Chicago, the fares are all valid out of MKE or SBN as well.

PV_Premier Apr 2, 2014 7:37 am

the HNL fares are pretty amazing cpm wise. i am sitting on one for SMF-AMS for $1470 which is typically what I pay for a W fare -- via IAD out and IAH back. would be more inclined to actually keep it if i could get IAH both ways for better cpm and better planes. SMF-IAD in the 320 is getting tiring, i guess we are not getting the 738s back anytime soon :( and i hate the 763 in J (though i know others like it).

UA-NYC Apr 2, 2014 7:39 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 22634372)
How are you booking this? I'm trying to look NYC->anywhere over the 4th of July weekend and can't get anything less than $3K.

EDIT - got VCE to work, but that's it so far...

Ended up booking BDL->EWR->CDG over the 4th. $1,550/ticket, which was the same price as coach :D Now I just have to figure out how to get out of the short legs...

sbm12 Apr 2, 2014 7:41 am

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler (Post 22634737)
From what I read on united.com, on LH, 'P' fares only earn 100%/100%? And it appears that on Air Canada they earn 150%/150%. So, someone like me who needs every EQM, should avoid LH on this deal? Does it matter if it's a UA codeshare operated by LH?

Correct: Avoid LH metal if you want more PQMs. Also avoid OS metal.

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler (Post 22634737)
Will I have any problems in, let's say, Rome with arriving, and turning around 2 hours later and hopping a flight back to the USA (on the same aircraft)? I may not even exit the sterile area if I don't have to...Would a transit desk be able to give me my onward BPs? (Also thinking because my return is less than 24 hours after my first flight, I might be able to check in all the way back from home before I leave.

I've not done it in Rome but similar transits elsewhere in major European airports typically haven't been an issue for me. Rome is a bit strange in how they segregate US departures in the morning so I can see a small potential for issues there. But I don't know for sure.

PV_Premier Apr 2, 2014 7:44 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 22634885)
Ended up booking BDL->EWR->CDG over the 4th. $1,550/ticket, which was the same price as coach :D Now I just have to figure out how to get out of the short legs...

it's bookable out of HPN if you'd rather do that than BDL

sbm12 Apr 2, 2014 7:50 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier (Post 22634909)
it's bookable out of HPN if you'd rather do that than BDL

And ABE. I'd definitely try for ABE on the return, just in case you miss the bus from EWR. ;)