Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:12 am

My situation seems to be different. WiFi has been working on my flights. I have 2 computers with me and a phone. Its working on my work computer, but not on my other computer--both Windows. Is there something I need to "clear" on the other computer. When I try to log in (I have a subscription), it says "no subscription found," which isn't surprising given that it also says in the Network settings that I'm not connected to United Wi-Fi.

I'm also having trouble with my iPhone, even though it says it is connected. I've reset the Network settings--we'll see if that helps.

Thanks.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:54 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
My first flight in several months with no connecting wi-fi, Mesa IAH-PHL yesterday. Would connect to the main screen but not login for anyone. Crew would not try a reset, but this is the same FA that literally asked me for my meal last in F, apparently under the new serve GSs last checklist...LOL
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I rode the same A/C ORD-HKG and HKG-ORD (772 #2029 ). Heading over, the WiFi worked well (a few hours of outage over the northern latitudes). Returning, after a 15-hour layover at HKG, it was completely INOP; the problem was the onboard server as the streaming entertainment would not work either (no signal from "UNITED_Wi-FI." The purser tried three times to reboot it, to no avail.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I don’t even bother trying. Neither the access to the outside world or IFE ever works. I just pack a book and take a time out from the world. Really sad that it’s this bad.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
I don’t even bother trying. Neither the access to the outside world or IFE ever works. I just pack a book and take a time out from the world. Really sad that it’s this bad.
+1
I have had some luck with the IFE but for the most part I do the same.
cruisr likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The good news, my last few flights had usable Wi-Fi, but the bad news, it's constantly disconnecting the moment I stop using it. I have an iPhone 7+ and this problem is happening regardless of aircraft type but doesn't happen on other wifi systems.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
I've looked at a couple of flights today on the Flight Status Details screen, and noticed a couple of flight statuses that don't have the Blue WiFI Icon next to the aircraft model and designation. For example, on UA743 from ORD to SFO on Feb 11, I don't see the blue WiFi logo next to Boeing 737-800W #3299 . I also looked in the amenities, and WiFi is not listed as an amenity.

Has United started updating the Flight Status and Amenity details screen in advance if WiFi does not work on a plane?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by jayzala
I've looked at a couple of flights today on the Flight Status Details screen, and noticed a couple of flight statuses that don't have the Blue WiFI Icon next to the aircraft model and designation. For example, on UA743 from ORD to SFO on Feb 11, I don't see the blue WiFi logo next to Boeing 737-800W #3299 . I also looked in the amenities, and WiFi is not listed as an amenity.

Has United started updating the Flight Status and Amenity details screen in advance if WiFi does not work on a plane?
Maybe UA is just level-setting the expectation that the wifi will not work. It will save them the admin costs for refund processing.

Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
I have tried several times, from Asia to SFO or IAH or ORD, the WiFi works fine, I have even used the Skype conference call in the flight .
however, from SFO or IAH or ORD to Asia, the WiFi never works, and I have to get online refund.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
All good things must come to an end - UA838 12FEB NRT SFO, sure enough the wifi is on, but everyone is getting the dreaded "connection failed" error after either logging in, or trying to make a purchase. Escalated to crew, purser insisted everything was fine and refused to investigate or do a reset.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
2 things annoy the heck out of me when it comes to UA wifi.

#1 : It's always borderline unusable. It'll work one second and won't the next. When I compare UA's wifi to that of B6 or DL for example, it's completely unacceptable how poor UA performance is, especially considering B6 and DL give away wifi for free to some or all passengers.

#2 : Inconsistent wifi cost. I noticed this a while ago but thought it was a one off. I've been flying SFO-BOS and vice versa a lot over the past year and almost every time the wifi price is different. In fact, on one of these past trips there wasn't even a full flight option, only 1 or 2 hours. I don't understand why it's so difficult to have a set price. I actually think I might know what the issue here is, the 757 international vs 757 PS versions may be running wifi differently. But if this is the issue, it's such an easy fix.

I don't know about AA wifi, but B6 and DL blow UA's offering out of the water, and I get those 2 for free. The only reason I still even bother trying on UA is that getting a refund is so easy. But this type of proposition isn't good for the customer or the airline.

Last edited by zeer0; Feb 15, 2019 at 3:58 pm
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by milepig
+1
I have a new phone as FAs kept telling me it was because i had a Samsung 4 (and it never worked). Does not work on my Samsung 9 and yes i download the latest version of the app. The app works fine until I put the phone in airplane mode. Very, very frustrating, oh except if it is a LAX-SAN flight and then the WiFi works just fine!

Always have a book and hope there is Direct TV (domestic flights).

I also have a book for international flights as often times the range of IFE is not sufficient to keep me "entertained".

Gave up complaining to United. They kept giving me ETCs but that does not fix the problem.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Feb 15, 2019 at 4:10 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by cooperhs
My situation seems to be different. WiFi has been working on my flights. I have 2 computers with me and a phone. Its working on my work computer, but not on my other computer--both Windows. Is there something I need to "clear" on the other computer. When I try to log in (I have a subscription), it says "no subscription found," which isn't surprising given that it also says in the Network settings that I'm not connected to United Wi-Fi.

I'm also having trouble with my iPhone, even though it says it is connected. I've reset the Network settings--we'll see if that helps.

Thanks.
I had a similar problem today. I’m currrently typing this on my iPad that connected to WiFi. I was able to connect my iPhone and also transfer to my iPad, but when it try to log in on my windows laptop, no go. I tried logging into my account (no subscription) and it just sent me back to the WiFi landing page. Then, when I tried to use the “change device” option, it says “Can’t find user”. Since I connected with my iPhone and used “change device” to move to my iPad, it seems to be something specific to my laptop. I tried deleting the browser data, but no luck. Anyone have a suggestion?

Updated to add that I tried both IE and Chrome browsers.

Last edited by tods27; Feb 20, 2019 at 1:24 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
+1
I have a new phone as FAs kept telling me it was because i had a Samsung 4 (and it never worked). Does not work on my Samsung 9 and yes i download the latest version of the app. The app works fine until I put the phone in airplane mode. Very, very frustrating, oh except if it is a LAX-SAN flight and then the WiFi works just fine!

Always have a book and hope there is Direct TV (domestic flights).

I also have a book for international flights as often times the range of IFE is not sufficient to keep me "entertained".

Gave up complaining to United. They kept giving me ETCs but that does not fix the problem.
+1
Precisely same experience except that for about a year now I haven't gotten any ETCs, of course fees refunded but no additional compensation as some here have stated. I am sure I have a file with my complaint hx so they know what they have paid out to me. I quite honestly don't care anymore as I stopped using it as well. Most my work requires far more band width than I can get in the air any how. So I just "sit back and enjoy the flight" for the most part.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:21 pm

UAX DCA-IAH yesterday, on a nice new E175, and the GoGo inflight failed out in a way I hadn't seen before. The aircraft was connected to the internet, because I could log in to united.com and get all sorts of remote data, but it wouldn't ever give me the payment landing page to buy internet access. Tried on a Galaxy S8, iPad, and Lenovo laptop -- same problem across all three. I had to get work done, and ended up watching Solo: a Starwars Story instead.

Poor life choices.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.